What Is Piriton?
Piriton contains antihistamine chlorphenamine as it’s active ingredient. It is a medicine used to treat allergies and itching.
Save Using: Myra Medicines Coupon Code | 1mg Coupon Code | Practo Coupon Code
Uses Of Piriton
- Piriton is used for alleviating symptoms of allergies like :
- Pet allergies
- Nettle rash (urticaria)
- Food allergies
- Reactions to insect bites or medicines
- Angioneurotic oedema, which causes swelling of the eyes, lips, tongue or throat
- Priton is also used for relieving itching associated with chickenpox.
Also read: Amlong Uses
Know more: Rutor Composition
How Does Piriton Work?
Piriton works by preventing the actions of histamine – a substance produced by the body when it reacts to a foreign substance such as pollen or pet fur (an allergen).Histamine causes a chain reaction that results in allergic symptoms. In allergies like hay fever and pet allergies, histamine causes inflammation of the nose, eyes or airways, resulting in itchy, watery eyes, a runny, blocked or itchy nose and sneezing. In allergic skin reactions histamine causes skin inflammation, rashes and itching.
Piriton blocks histamine receptors and so stops the chain reaction that causes the symptoms of the allergy.
Piriton Price in India
|Piriton Expectorant||Rs 78|
How to Take Piriton?
Piriton tablets and syrup is meant to be taken orally, either with or without food.
Common Dosage Of Piriton
Adults, adolescents and children aged 12 years and over should take one tablet every four to six hours, when needed to relieve symptoms. Do not take more than six tablets in 24 hours.
Elderly people should avoid taking more than three tablets in 24 hours as they may be more susceptible to the potential side effects of chlorphenamine.
Read more: JP Tone Injection Dosage
When to Avoid Piriton& Precautions To Take?
- Do not consume the medicine if you are allergic to any of it’s ingredients.
- Use with caution in patients with the following conditions :
- Asthma, bronchitis or widening of the airways, which may be hereditary or due to infection (bronchiectasis)
- Difficulty passing urine, such as men with an enlarged prostate gland
- Raised pressure in the eye or glaucoma
- Liver disease.
- Severe cardiovascular disease
- Very high blood pressure (severe hypertension)
- Overactive thyroid gland (thyrotoxicosis)
Side Effects Of Piriton
Common side effects include :
- Blurred vision
- Dry mouth
- Problems with coordination
Read more: Cardivas Side Effects | Celiprolol Side Effects
Effect on Organs?
The medicine may increase intraocular pressure.
The medicine may increase risk of seizures.
The medicine may impair renal and hepatic function.
Reported Allergic Reactions?
Allergic reactions to the drug have been reported. Symptoms include difficulty in breathing, severe skin rashes, headache, dizziness, dry mouth, fever etc. Seek immediate medical attention in such cases.
Drug Interactions to be careful about?
Piriton shows interaction with the following drugs :
- Antipsychotics, eg haloperidol, chlorpromazine
- Barbiturates, eg phenobarbital, amobarbital
- Benzodiazepines, eg diazepam, temazepam
- Other sedating antihistamines, eg hydroxyzine, promethazine
- Sleeping tablets, eg zopiclone
- Strong opioid painkillers, eg morphine, codeine, tramadol
- Medicines for Parkinson’s symptoms, eg procyclidine, orphenadrine, trihexiphenidyl
- Medicines for urinary incontinence, eg oxybutynin, flavoxate, tolterodine, propiverine, trospium
- Some antipsychotics, eg chlorpromazine, clozapine
- Antispasmodics, eg hyoscine, atropine
- Tricyclic antidepressants, eg amitriptyline, imipramine.
Shows Effects/Results In
Onset of action can be seen within half an hour of taking the medicine.
Duration of effect lasts for about 4 to 6 hours after consumption.
Storage Requirements for Piriton
Store at room temperature, away from heat and direct sunlight.
Keep away from reach of children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Piriton
If you’re going for any skin prick or patch tests to diagnose allergies, you should stop taking this medicine at least 48 hours before the tests. This is because antihistamines can prevent or lessen the skin reactions that indicate an allergy, and so can make the test results unreliable.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Piriton addictive?
Can I have Piriton with alcohol?
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Can I have Piriton when pregnant?
Avoid unless absolutely necessary.
Can I have Piriton when feeding a baby?
Avoid unless absolutely necessary.
Can I drive after taking Piriton?
What happens if I overdose on Piriton?
Seek medical attention upon over dosing of medicine.
What happens if I eat expired Piriton?
No major side effect is seen upon consumption of a single dose of expired medicine. However, if you notice any severe side effects, immediately inform your doctor.
What happens if I miss a dose of Piriton?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember.
If it’s almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose