Table of Contents
- What is Piroxicam?
- Uses of Piroxicam
- How Piroxicam works?
- Piroxicam Price In India
- How to take Piroxicam?
- Piroxicam injections
- Common dosage of Piroxicam
- When to avoid Piroxicam?
- Side effects of Piroxicam
- Reported allergic reactions
- Effect on organs
- Drug interactions to be careful about
- Show effects/Results in
- Is it addictive?
- Can I have Piroxicam with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Piroxicam when pregnant?
- Can I have Piroxicam when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Piroxicam?
- What happens if I overdose on Piroxicam?
- What happen if I eat expired Piroxicam?
- What happen if I miss a dose of Piroxicam?
- Storage requirements
- Pro Tips:
What is Piroxicam?
- Piroxicam is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) which reduce pain, fever and signs of inflammation like swelling, redness.
- Piroxicam is available in the following forms:
Other variants and compositions
|Alkem Piroxicam 10 mg Tablet DT||Piroxicam (10mg)|
|Alkem Piroxicam Injection||Piroxicam (20mg)|
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Saveonmedicals | Yscart
Uses of Piroxicam
Piroxicam relieve pain, reduce swelling and ease inflammation in conditions affecting the joints, muscles and tendons including:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Ankylosing spondylitis (arthritis affecting spine and large joints)
- Sprains and strains
- Soft tissue sports injuries
- Frozen shoulder, Dislocations
- Tendonitis (inflammation of tendon for example tennis elbow)
- Bursitis (inflammation of sacs filled with lubricating fluid in joints)
- Dental pain
- Muscle pain
- Painful menses
Piroxicam may also be used for purposes not mentioned above.
Also Read: Pantoprazole Uses | Pantosec Uses | Prednisolone Uses
How Piroxicam works?
- Piroxicam works by obstructing the production of enzyme called as Cyclo-oxygenase which helps in Prostaglandin synthesis.
- Synthesis of Prostaglandins in the body is associated with symptoms like pain, fever, swelling etc.
- Therefore by inhibiting the synthesis of prostaglandins, Piroxicam helps in relieving all associated symptoms (pain, swelling etc).
Piroxicam Price In India
|10 mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 40|
|Vial Of 1 injection||Rs 7.5|
Also Read: Pantocid Price | Pantop D Price
How to take Piroxicam?
- Piroxicam tablets are usually taken two or three times a day or as directed by your doctor.
- These tablets should be swallowed as a whole and not broken, crushed or chewed.
- The tablet should be taken with or after food or with a glass of milk to help avoid irritation of the stomach.
- Piroxicam can also be injected in patients where administration by mouth is not possible or where immediate effect is needed for example pain following surgery. The injection can be given into a muscle or via a drip into a vein (intravenous infusion).
Common dosage of Piroxicam
- The drug dosage is decided by the physician based upon:
- Health status/medical condition of the patient
- Severity of symptoms
- Reaction to the first dose
- History of allergy/drug reactions
- Use the lowest possible dose for shortest duration whenever possible to reduce the risk of adverse effects when on Piroxicam therapy.
- The most recommended adult dose being 10-20mg per day in divided doses depending upon the severity of symptoms.
- In case of elderly 65 years and above, body may process this drug more slowly. So doctors usually start with a lowered dose so that too much of this drug does not build up in your body.
- Consult your doctor before administering in children below 12 years of age.
- Never use more than the recommended dose or for longer periods of time without doctor’s consent.
- In case of non improvement of symptoms or symptoms getting worse, seek medical attention immediately.
When to avoid Piroxicam?
- Allergy – Piroxicam is not recommended if you have a known allergy of medicines belonging to NSAIDs. Severe allergic conditions like Asthma and itching can be triggered in such cases.
- Peptic Ulcer – in patients suffering from peptic ulcer, Piroxicam can cause severe swelling and bleeding in the stomach, colon and anus.
- Piroxicam is not recommended for relieving pain after Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery.
- Patients suffering from asthma
- Patients suffering from Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
- Patients suffering from severe liver disease
- Patients suffering from severe kidney disease
Side effects of Piroxicam
- All medicines have some side effects. Side effects are possible but do not always occur.
- Consult your doctor if you feel that you have any of them-
- Loss of appetite
- Abdominal pain
- Heart burn
- Dry mouth
- Skin rash
- Dry skin
Also Read: Pantocid DSR Side Effect | Pan D Side Effect | Pan 40 Side Effect
Reported allergic reactions
- Diclofenac is not recommended if you are allergic to any of its active ingredient or other NSAIDs.
- Possible allergic reactions reported are-
- Rashes on skin
- Discoloration of the skin on the face or neck
- Irregular heartbeat
- Swelling of face, neck
- Loss of consciousness
Effect on organs
- It can cause fatal liver disease. Patients with pre-existing liver diseases should use this drug with caution and under supervision of their doctor.
- In stomach it can cause ulcers which lead to serious bleeding from stomach or intestine.
Drug interactions to be careful about
- Drug interaction refers to effect of drugs on each other and on human body after ingestion. Large numbers of medicines have shown to interact with each other.
- It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about all the drugs/over the counter products/vitamin supplements used.
- You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. Do not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
- All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Few common drugs which interact with Piroxicam include:
- ACE Inhibitors
- Aldosterone antagonists
- Beta blockers
- Calcineurin inhibitors
- Enalapril, lisinopril
- Loop diuretics
- Prostaglandin analogues
- Thiazide diuretics
Show effects/Results in
- It depends on the dosage and age of the patient and severity of the problem.
- It shows its full effect in 30 minutes. Slowly leads to relief in pain.
Is it addictive?
- No habit forming tendencies have been reported with this medicine.
Can I have Piroxicam with alcohol?
- Daily use of alcohol while using this medicine may increase your risk for stomach bleeding.
- Limit alcohol consumption and stop smoking. Ask your doctor about how much alcohol you may safely drink.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
- No interaction with any food product observed. For further information you can consult your doctor.
Can I have Piroxicam when pregnant?
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or if you plan to become pregnant.
- During pregnancy avoid taking Piroxicam unless entirely necessary.
- It is not recommended for use during first and third trimesters of pregnancy as it can harm the foetus or interference with normal delivery.
Can I have Piroxicam when feeding a baby?
- It is not known whether Piroxicam is secreted in breast milk.
- Use with caution or only when advised in lactating mothers.
Can I drive after taking Piroxicam?
- Diclofenac Tablet may causes side effects like dizziness, headache, drowsiness and light-headedness in few patients.
- In such patients, driving and operating heavy machinery should be avoided.
What happens if I overdose on Piroxicam?
- Taking more than prescribed dosage can be harmful and can increase the incidence of side effects
- Symptoms of over dosage include:
- Stomach discomfort
- In case of over-dosage, consult your doctor immediately.
What happen if I eat expired Piroxicam?
- Avoid taking expired medicine. If you have taken accidentally and you are feeling any discomfort rush to the doctor immediately for medical assistance.
- An expired drug might not be as potent in treating your condition. It is advisable to refrain from using expired drug.
What happen if I miss a dose of Piroxicam?
- The medicine may not work well if you miss a dose because for effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times.
- Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember it. But, if it is already time to take the second dose after that – do not take double dose.
- Store at room temperature away from light and moisture.
- Do not freeze.
- Piroxicam and other NSAIDs can increase the chance of heart attack in patients already suffering from heart disease when taken for longer durations.
- Piroxicam should be cautiously used in patients with pre-existing peptic ulcer as it can cause bleeding in the stomach or intestine
- NSAIDs should only be prescribed at lowest dose possible and for shortest time.