Table of Contents
- 1 What Is Ponstan?
- 2 Uses Of Ponstan
- 3 Ponstan Composition
- 4 How Does Ponstan Work?
- 5 Ponstan Price in India
- 6 How to Take Ponstan?
- 7 Common Dosage Of Ponstan
- 8 When to Avoid Ponstan& Precautions To Take?
- 9 Side Effects Of Ponstan
- 10 Effect on Organs?
- 11 Reported Allergic Reactions?
- 12 Drug Interactions to be careful about?
- 13 Shows Effects/Results In
- 14 Storage Requirements for Ponstan
- 15 Pro Tips When Taking Ponstan
- 16 Frequently Asked Questions
- 17 Is Ponstan addictive?
- 18 Can I have Ponstan with alcohol?
- 19 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 20 Can I have Ponstan when pregnant?
- 21 Can I have Ponstan when feeding a baby?
- 22 Can I drive after taking Ponstan?
- 23 What happens if I overdose on Ponstan?
- 24 What happens if I eat expired Ponstan?
- 25 What happens if I miss a dose of Ponstan?
Ponstan Composition – Mefenamic Acid (250mg)
Manufactured By – Pfizer Ltd
Prescription – Prescription Required
Form – Tablet
Price – Rs 19.53
Quantity – 10 tablets in 1 strip
What Is Ponstan?
Ponstancontainsmefenamic acid as it’s active ingredient. It belongs to a group of medicines called Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (or NSAIDs). These medicines work by relieving pain and inflammation.
Save Using: Netmeds Promo Code | Medlife Promo Code | Pharmeasy Promo Code
Uses Of Ponstan
Ponstan is used to relieve pain during periods and treat heavy periods in women.
Ponstan is also used for short term relief from pain in conditions such like muscle and joint injuries, sprains, strains, tendonitisel and dental pain.
Also read: Becozinc Uses
- Mefenamic Acid (250mg)
Know more: Procarbazine Composition
How Does Ponstan Work?
Ponstan works by blocking the action of a substance in the body called cyclo-oxygenase (COX). Cyclo-oxygenase is involved in the production of various chemicals in the body, some of which are known as prostaglandins. Prostaglandins are produced by the body in response to injury and certain diseases and conditions, and cause pain, swelling and inflammation. Mefenamic acid blocks the production of these prostaglandins and so reduces inflammation and pain.
Mefenamic acid may also work by preventing the action of prostaglandins after they have already been formed.
Mefenamic acid helps with heavy and painful menstrual periods because period pain cramps are caused by the production of prostaglandins in the lining of the womb. Prostaglandin production is also known to be increased in women who suffer from heavy periods. By opposing the production and action of prostaglandins, mefenamic acid relieves period pains and also reduces blood loss in women who have heavy periods.
Ponstan Price in India
|Ponstan 250mg Tablet||Rs 19.53|
How to Take Ponstan?
Ponstan capsules are meant to be swallowed orally, preferably after meals.
Common Dosage Of Ponstan
Common adult dosage of Ponstan is 2 capsules (500 mg) three times daily.
Know more: Rutor Dosage
When to Avoid Ponstan& Precautions To Take?
- Do not take Ponstan ifyou are allergic to any of it’s ingredients.
- Ponstan is contraindicated in patients with bowel disorders.
- Ponstan is contraindicated in patients with gastric ulcers.
- Ponstan is contraindicated in children below 14 years of age.
- Use with caution in patients with renal or hepatic disorders.
Read more: JP Tone Injection Precaution
Side Effects Of Ponstan
Common side effects include :
- Skin reactions such as rashes or itching
- Visual disturbances
- Sensation of spinning (vertigo)
- Sensation of ringing, or other noise in the ears (tinnitus)
- Pins and needles sensations
- Retention of fluid in the body tissues, resulting in swelling (oedema)
- Increased blood pressure
- Awareness of your heartbeat (palpitations)
- Inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis)
Effect on Organs?
Use of this medicine for a long duration may cause fluid retention and heart failure.
Use of this medicine can cause an acute attack of asthma to occur.
Use of this medicine can cause a series of allergic skin reaction (Stevens-Johnson syndrome or toxic epidermal necrolysis). It should be stopped immediately if signs of a skin allergy are observed.
Reported Allergic Reactions?
Symptoms of an allergic reaction to Ponstan may include:
- Asthma, wheezing or shortness of breath
- Swelling of the face, lips or tongue which may cause difficulty in swallowing or breathing
- Hives, itching or skin rash
Drug Interactions to be careful about?
Ponstan shows interaction with the following drugs :
- Antihypertensive drugs
Shows Effects/Results In
Onset of actioncan be observed within 20-30 minutes of administration.
Duration of effect lasts for an average duration of 4-6 hours.
Storage Requirements for Ponstan
Keep the capsules in a cool dry place where the temperature stays below 30°C.
Keep away from reach of children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Ponstan
If you get diarrhoea while taking this medicine you should stop taking it and consult your doctor.
During long-term treatment with this medicine you should have regular check-ups with your doctor so that you can be monitored for possible side effects of the medicine. This might include routine blood tests to monitor your kidney function, liver function and levels of blood components, particularly if you are elderly.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Ponstan addictive?
Can I have Ponstan with alcohol?
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Can I have Ponstan when pregnant?
Avoid unless absolutely necessary.
Can I have Ponstan when feeding a baby?
Can I drive after taking Ponstan?
Avoid if dizziness occurs.
What happens if I overdose on Ponstan?
Seek medical attention upon over dosing of medicine.
What happens if I eat expired Ponstan?
No major side effect is seen upon consumption of a single dose of expired medicine. However, if you notice any severe side effects, immediately inform your doctor.
What happens if I miss a dose of Ponstan?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember.
If it’s almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose