Table of Contents
- 1 How Does Pradaxa Work?
- 1.1 How to Take Pradaxa?
- 1.2 Pradaxa Price in India
- 1.3 Common Dosage for Pradaxa
- 1.4 Precautions – When to Avoid Pradaxa?
- 1.5 Side-Effects of Pradaxa
- 1.6 Effects of Pradaxa on Organs
- 1.7 Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- 1.8 Effects/Results after Consuming Pradaxa
- 1.9 Storage Requirements about Pradaxa
- 1.10 Pro Tips When Taking Pradaxa (Dabigatran Etexilate)
- 1.11 FAQs – Things to Know About Pradaxa
- 1.12 Is Pradaxa (Dabigatran Etexilate) addictive?
- 1.13 Can I have Pradaxa with alcohol?
- 1.14 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 1.15 Can I have Pradaxa (Dabigatran Etexilate) when pregnant?
- 1.16 Can I have Pradaxa when feeding a baby?
- 1.17 Can I drive after taking Pradaxa?
- 1.18 What happens if I overdose on Pradaxa?
- 1.19 What happens if I eat expired Pradaxa (Dabigatran Etexilate)?
- 1.20 What happens if I miss a dose of Pradaxa?
- 1.21 When Was Pradaxa (Dabigatran Etexilate) Made?
What is Pradaxa?
Dabigatran is sold under the brand name Pradaxa. It is an anticoagulant drug which is used as an alternative for Warfarin. Pradaxa is used in the treatment of thrombosis.
Manufactured By – Boehringer Ingelheim
Buy & Get Minimum 30% Discount: Pharmeasy Coupon
Uses of Pradaxa
- Pradaxa (Dabigatran Etexilate) is used to treat blood clot such as deep vein thrombosis.
- It is used to prevent a stroke which can be caused due to heart diseases and artificial heart valves.
- Pradaxa is also used in antiphospholipid syndrome.
How Does Pradaxa Work?
Clot formation is a complex process which takes place with the help of clotting factors. Pradaxa blocks the vitamin K, which is used to produce clotting factors and decreases the ability of the blood clotting process.
How to Take Pradaxa?
- Swallow the tablet wholly. Do not crush, chew or break it.
- Pradaxa can be taken with or without food.
- Try to take it the same time every day.
- It is better to take Pradaxa in the evening as it requires dosage adjustments.
Pradaxa Price in India
|Pradaxa (Volume of 10 of 110mg)||Rs 718.00|
Also read about other medicine's Price: Potassium Chloride Price
Common Dosage for Pradaxa
- The dosage is different for different conditions. So it is safe to consult the doctor before taking the dosage.
- Atrial fibrillation – 2 to 5 mg per day
- Stroke – 2 to 5 mg per day which may be increased to up to 10mg
- Other conditions such as deep vein thrombosis and myocardial infarction also have same dosage which is between 2mg and 5 mg per day.
Precautions – When to Avoid Pradaxa?
While taking Pradaxa (Dabigatran Etexilate) you should follow the following steps:
- Don’t delay or miss a scheduled meal or snack
- Don’t take Pradaxa along with other certain medications.
- Avoid consuming alcohol for initial days while taking Pradaxa.
Side-Effects of Pradaxa
Some common side effects of Pradaxa are:
- Dark urine
- Dry mouth
- Allergies like rashes or irritation
- Loss of appetite
Also Read: Tamsulosin Side Effect | Trazodone Side Effect | Vancomycin Side Effect
Effects of Pradaxa on Organs
Patients who have liver problems will have more damaging effects on the liver while consuming Pradaxa (Dabigatran Etexilate). Sometimes, it may cause Urinary tract infections too.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
Drugs which cause serious effects while interacting with Pradaxa are Adderall, Flexeril, Lexapro, tramadol, trazadone, etc., The drugs which one can take under certain circumstances and might show moderate effect are oxycodone, Ativan, abilify, ambien, Neurontin, etc.,
Effects/Results after Consuming Pradaxa
Pradaxa will show its effect within 1 to 2 weeks but you should follow this medication for 4 to 5 months for full recovery.
Storage Requirements about Pradaxa
Pradaxa can be stored in a closed container at room temperature away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Pro Tips When Taking Pradaxa (Dabigatran Etexilate)
- Pradaxa should be taken in the prescribed dosage and one must only increase the dosage when the physician prescribes it.
- Do not abruptly stop taking Pradaxa as it may cause negative effects on the body.
- Avoid alcohol and certain recommended foods while taking Pradaxa.
FAQs – Things to Know About Pradaxa
Is Pradaxa (Dabigatran Etexilate) addictive?
No. But it can cause adverse effects when Pradaxa is abruptly stopped.
Can I have Pradaxa with alcohol?
No. Having Pradaxa with alcohol will cause liver damage and depression.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Avoid food items which are rich in vitamin k such as soya beans.
Can I have Pradaxa (Dabigatran Etexilate) when pregnant?
No. Pradaxa is not recommended during pregnancy as it causes serious side effects in the foetus.
Can I have Pradaxa when feeding a baby?
Taking Pradaxa (Dabigatran Etexilate) while breastfeeding does not have any serious side effects.
Can I drive after taking Pradaxa?
You should avoid driving if you feel drowsy.
What happens if I overdose on Pradaxa?
It would cause a severe headache and bleeding.
What happens if I eat expired Pradaxa (Dabigatran Etexilate)?
It will not be effective but consult your doctor immediately.
What happens if I miss a dose of Pradaxa?
If you miss a dose of Pradaxa take it as soon as you remember it within the next 12 hours. If you don’t, then just go back to your regular dosage.
When Was Pradaxa (Dabigatran Etexilate) Made?
Pradaxa was made in the year 2010.
Other medicine's to read: Risperidone