Table of Contents
- 1 What is Pravastatin?
- 2 Uses of Pravastatin
- 3 How Does Pravastatin Work?
- 4 How to Take Pravastatin?
- 5 Pravastatin Price In India
- 6 Common Dosage & When to Take Pravastatin?
- 7 When to Avoid Pravastatin?
- 8 Side Effects of Pravastatin?
- 9 Effects on Organs?
- 10 Reported Allergic Reactions?
- 11 Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- 12 Shows Effects / Results In
- 13 FAQs
- 14 Is Pravastatin Addictive?
- 15 Can I have Pravastatin with alcohol?
- 16 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 17 Can I have Pravastatin when Pregnant?
- 18 Can I have Pravastatin when feeding a baby?
- 19 Can I drive after taking Pravastatin?
- 20 What happens if I overdose on Pravastatin?
- 21 What happens if I eat expired Pravastatin?
- 22 What happens if I miss a dose of Pravastatin?
- 23 Storage of Pravastatin
- 24 Pro Tips When Taking Pravastatin
What is Pravastatin?
Pravastatin belongs to “Statin” group of drugs which are primarily used for the treatment of high blood cholesterol levels.
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Netmeds Voucher Code | Practo Offers
Uses of Pravastatin
Pravastatin is most commonly used in the prevention and treatment of the following conditions:
- High cholesterol
- Prevention of myocardial infarction
- Prevention of stoke
- Cardiovascular diseases
- High triglycerides
Pravastatin may also be used for a purpose not mentioned above.
Also Read: Ultram Uses | Ventolin Uses | Voltaren Uses
How Does Pravastatin Work?
- Pravastatin is an HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor which limits the cholesterol synthesis in the liver by inhibiting the enzyme HMG-CoA reductase which is a rate-limiting enzyme.
- Pravastatin administration along with proper diet control can help lower bad cholesterol (VLDL, LDL) and fats (triglycerides) and raise good cholesterol (HDL) in blood.
- Lowering bad cholesterol and triglycerides and raising good cholesterol reduces the risk of heart diseases and stroke.
- The effects of this medicine are further increased by following a proper diet, making lifestyle changes like quitting smoking, losing weight and exercising.
How to Take Pravastatin?
- Pravastatin is available in tablet form in the range of 10mg, 20mg, 40mg, and 80mg.
- When taken in oral form, it is advised to take this medicine with food or immediately after food at a fixed time daily.
- When taken in tablet form, swallow the tablet as a whole with fluids. Do not chew, break, or crush.
- Never use more than the recommended dose or for longer periods of time without doctor’s consent.
- Patients with high cholesterol do not usually have any symptoms, so continue to use even if you feel well until your doctor tells you to stop.
- It is important to follow other instructions and bring lifestyle changes like weight reduction, exercise, eating healthy diet along with administration of statins.
Pravastatin Price In India
|Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 124.20|
Also Read: Singulair Price | Suboxone Price | Synthyroid Price
Common Dosage & When to Take Pravastatin?
- The dose and duration of treatment with Pravastatin depend upon the age of the patient and degree of dyslipidemia.
- The recommended starting dose for adults is one 40mg tablet once per day. The dose can be increased up to 80mg per day.
- The dosage range may vary from one single 40-80mg tablet depending upon the condition of the patient.
- After starting the dose, lipid levels should be constantly monitored for 4 weeks in order to increase or decrease the dose as the maximum effect of Pravastatin is seen in 4 weeks.
- In the case of children, the initial dose is 20mg once daily per day and the maximum dose is up to 40mg per day.
When to Avoid Pravastatin?
Pravastatin should not be used or should be used with caution when:
- Allergic to any of its components
- People with active liver or kidney problem
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women
Side Effects of Pravastatin?
Pravastatin may produce few side effects, although they may not be seen in all the patients. Few commonly observed side effects include:
- Muscle pain
- Increased blood glucose levels (may worsen diabetes)
- Impaired liver functions (loss of appetite, dark coloured urine, yellowing of skin and eyes)
- Joint pain
- Stuffy nose
In addition, it may cause some unwanted allergic side effects.
Also Read: Prilosec Side Effect | Remicade Side Effect
Effects on Organs?
- Patients with liver and kidney disease should administer Pravastatin with caution and under the observation of a doctor. Discontinue this medicine if liver function is not normal.
- Patients with previous or active muscle disorder need to be monitored carefully before administering Pravastatin. Symptoms like muscle pain or muscle weakness should be immediately reported.
- Pravastatin should be used cautiously in diabetics as it has been associated with increased blood glucose levels. Regular monitoring of blood glucose is recommended for such patients.
Reported Allergic Reactions?
Tell your doctor if you are allergic to any of its ingredients. Allergy with Pravastatin may exhibit the following symptoms:
- Chest tightness
- Difficulty in breathing
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
Drug interactions refer to the effect of drugs on each other and on human body following ingestion. Large numbers of medicine have shown interaction with each other. It is advised that the patient must always inform the physician about all the medicines/over the counter products/vitamin supplements used. Consult your doctor before administering any other drugs concomitantly with Pravastatin. All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Few important ones include:
- Oral contraceptives
- Other cholesterol-lowering medicines
Shows Effects / Results In
Changes in cholesterol levels are noticed after 2-4 weeks of oral administration. Even if symptoms disappear, it should be taken until advised
Is Pravastatin Addictive?
No such tendency has been reported.
Can I have Pravastatin with alcohol?
Consumption of alcohol along with Pravastatin increases the chances of liver damage thus the concomitant use of Pravastatin with alcohol should be avoided.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Drinking grapefruit juice along with Pravastatin can lead to build up of the drug inside the body and may lead to increased incidence of adverse effects.
- Thus avoid drinking a large quantity of grape juice when on Pravastatin.
Can I have Pravastatin when Pregnant?
Pravastatin is contraindicated in pregnant women as it has shown adverse effects on foetus.
Can I have Pravastatin when feeding a baby?
Pravastatin should not be used in breastfeeding women as the drug may pass into breast milk and may lead to adverse effects in foetus.
Can I drive after taking Pravastatin?
Pravastatin does not affect your ability to drive.
What happens if I overdose on Pravastatin?
- It should not be administered in more than prescribed dose.
- Taking more medication or with increased frequency will not lower blood cholesterol earlier, it may rather lead to severe side effects.
What happens if I eat expired Pravastatin?
- The medicine may not work as well. Please inform your physician regarding the same.
- To be on the safer side, always check and never use an expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Pravastatin?
Always consume the skipped dose as soon as you remember it. But, if it is already time for the next dose – do not double the dose.
Storage of Pravastatin
- Storage at room temperature away from direct heat and light.
- Keep medicines away from children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Pravastatin
- Pravastatin should be carefully administered in patients with pre-existing muscle weakness, muscle disease, diabetes, and active liver disease.
- Avoid drinking alcohol and grapefruit juice when on Pravastatin as it may change the effects of Pravastatin.