What is Prilosec?
Prilosec belongs to a group of drugs called as “proton pump inhibitors” which are used for the treatment of acidity, heartburn, stomach ulcer etc. An active ingredient of Prilosec capsule is Omeprazole and it is available in following strengths – 10mg, 20mg, and 40mg.
Buy & Get Discount: 1Mg Medicines | Practo Coupons
Uses of Prilosec
Prilosec can be used in the prevention, control and treatment of following diseases and symptoms:
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Gastric ulcer/peptic ulcer
- Zollinger Ellison syndrome
- Erosive Esophagitis
- Helicobacter pylori infection
- A gastrin-secreting tumor
Prilosec can also be used for purposes not mentioned above.
Also Read: Singulair Uses | Suboxone Uses | Synthyroid Uses
How does Prilosec work?
- Prilosec belongs to a group of drugs called as “proton pump inhibitor” which are used for the treatment of peptic ulcer.
- Prilosec works by inhibiting gastric acid secretion. It inhibits acid secretion both in resting phase as well as when stimulated by food thus preventing heartburn and gastric ulcer disease.
- When taken for once a day for one week, Prilosec achieved up to 80-98% inhibition of 24 hour gastric acid secretion.
How to Take Prilosec?
- Prilosec is available in capsule form for oral use.
- The dosage and duration of treatment with Prilosec should be decided by the doctor. Do not take more than or less than the recommended dose.
- Prilosec is well absorbed orally and should be taken empty stomach (at least half an hour before food) in the morning.
- The capsule should be swallowed as a whole without crushing, chewing or breaking it along with plenty of fluids.
- It is always advisable to take the oral dose at a fixed time every day.
Prilosec Price In India
|20 mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 40|
|Delayed Release Oral Suspension: 10mg Suspension||Rs 300|
Also Read: Pravastatins Price | Remicade Price
Common Dosage for Prilosec?
- The optimum duration of treatment with Prilosec (Omeprazole) varies with the condition of the patient and the initial response to the drug.
- The recommended dose for Prilosec in adults is one 20mg capsule once daily half an hour before food for acidity, heartburn, and 40mg capsule once daily for gastric ulcer.
- Depending upon the severity of the condition, oral Prilosec can be administered for 4- 8 weeks for symptomatic relief. In patients who have not healed, an additional 8 weeks course can be given.
- Patients with kidney and liver disease must use it with caution and under the supervision of a doctor.
- In case of non-improvement of symptoms or symptoms getting worse, consult your doctor immediately.
When to Avoid Prilosec?
Prilosec (Omeprazole) should be avoided or used with caution in following patients:
- Patients with allergy to any of its components
- Blockage in intestine
- Patients with electrolyte disturbance especially Magnesium, potassium and calcium
- Patients with severe kidney and liver disease
- Patients with pre-existing vitamin B12 deficiency
Side-effects of Prilosec
Common side effects with Prilosec (Omeprazole) include:
- Abdominal pain
- Skin rash
- Joint pains
- Increased chances of bone fracture (when taken for longer duration)
In addition, it may also cause some allergic or unwanted effects. In such cases, seek medical attention immediately.
Also Read: Ultram Side Effect | Ventolin Side Effect | Voltaren Side Effect
Effect on organs?
Patients with severe liver and kidney disease should use Prilosec (Omeprazole) with caution. Dose adjustment by the doctor might be needed in a few cases.
Reported Allergic Reactions?
Report to your doctor if you are allergic to the ingredients of Prilosec or other proton pump inhibitor drugs. Signs of allergic reaction include:
- Rashes/itching of the skin
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat
- Loss of consciousness
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
Drug interactions refer to the effect of drugs on each other and on human body following ingestion. Large numbers of medicines have shown interaction with other drugs resulting in decreased therapeutic effect and increased chances of side effects. It is always advised that the patient must inform the doctor of all the drugs/over the counter products/vitamin supplements being used along with Prilosec (Omeprazole). All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Few important drug interactions with Prilosec include:
Shows Effects / Results In
The effects of Prilosec (Omeprazole) start within 30 minutes to 1 hour following oral administration and reaches its peak effect in 2 to 2.5 hours
Is Prilosec addictive?
No such tendency has been reported.
Can I have Prilosec (Omeprazole) with alcohol?
- Consumption of alcohol is not recommended when on Prilosec therapy as alcohol increases acidity and may further aggregate the problem thereby reducing the potency of Prilosec.
- Consult your doctor before administering alcohol along with Prilosec.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
No such interaction with food products seen.
Can I have Prilosec (Omeprazole) when pregnant?
- Prilosec (Omeprazole) is safe to use during pregnancy however it should only be used when clearly needed.
- Always communicate with your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant for case specific recommendations.
Can I have Prilosec when feeding a baby?
- Nursing mothers are advised to use Prilosec with caution as the drug may pass into breast milk and could harm the baby.
- Always inform your doctor before if you are breast-feeding your child.
Can I drive after taking Prilosec (Omeprazole)?
- Few patients on Prilosec may experience side effects like dizziness, headache, decreased alertness etc.
- Caution must be exercised in such patients when driving or operating heavy machinery.
What happens if I overdose on Prilosec?
- Prilosec (Omeprazole) should not be administered in more than the recommended dose or for a longer duration as it may lead to toxicity.
- If anyone is suspected of an over-dosage, seek medical attention immediately.
What happens if I take expired Prilosec?
- Taking a single expired dose may not cause any major adverse effect. However, the potency of the medicine may well have been reduced.
- To be on the safer side, always check and never use an expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Prilosec (Omeprazole)?
Always administer the missed dose as soon as you remember it. But, if it’s already time for the second dose- do not take double the dose to make up for the missed dose.
Storage of Prilosec (Omeprazole)
- Stored at room temperature away from direct sunlight and heat.
- Keep medicines away from children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Prilosec
- Prilosec (Omeprazole), when used in larger doses and for a longer duration, may increase your risk for bone fractures (osteoporosis) especially among elderly.
- When used for a longer duration, it may also cause difficulty in the absorption of vitamin B12 and thus a deficiency of Vitamin B12.