Table of Contents
- What is Promethazine?
- How does Promethazine work?
- Promethazine Price in India
- How to Take Promethazine?
- Common Dosage for Promethazine?
- When to Avoid Promethazine?
- Side-effects of Promethazine?
- Effect on organs?
- Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Shows Effects / Results In:
- Is Promethazine addictive?
- Can I have Promethazine with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Promethazine when pregnant?
- Can I have Promethazine when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Promethazine?
- What happens if I overdose on Promethazine?
- What happens if I take expired Promethazine?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Promethazine?
- Storage of Promethazine:
- Pro Tips When Taking Promethazine
What is Promethazine?
- Promethazine belongs to a group of drugs called as “antihistamines” and is primarily used in the prevention and treatment of allergic disorders.
- Promethazine is most commonly used for the treatment of seasonal allergy, hay fever, itching caused by hives, sneezing, running nose etc.
- It is also used to prevent and control nausea, vomiting, motion sickness. It can also be used to relieve pain, induce sleep and reduce anxiety in few patients.
- Promethazine is available in two forms:
- Tablet form (25mg)
- Syrup form (5mg/5ml oral solution)
- Injection form (25mg/ml)
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Saveonmedicals offers | Practo offers
How does Promethazine work?
- Promethazine is an antihistamine which works by blocking the release of chemical messenger called histamine involved in allergic reactions in your body.
- This brings about relieve in symptoms of allergy such as sneezing, running nose, watery eyes etc.
- Apart from anti-histaminic action, it also acts directly on several areas of brain and prevents nausea and vomiting sensation.
Promethazine Price in India
|25 mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 34.80|
Also Read: Seacod Capsule Price | Septillin Price | Stugeron Price
How to Take Promethazine?
- The dosage and duration of Promethazine advised is based on your age, medical condition and initial response to therapy.
- Promethazine is well absorbed after oral administration and can be taken with or without food or as advised. For patients with gastric problems, it is better to take it after food.
- For ideal results, it should always be taken at a fixed time preferably bed time as it can cause sedation.
- When used for motion sickness, it is advised to take Promethazine 30 minutes to one hour before the journey.
- When taken for surgery, it is taken the night before the surgery or just before the procedure.
- The tablet should be swallowed as a whole without crushing, chewing or breaking it along with plenty of fluids.
- If you are using the syrup form, measure the dose with the help of a measuring cup. Shake the bottle well before each use.
- The medicine should not be stopped on your own without doctor’s advice or before the stipulated course of the therapy is completed.
Common Dosage for Promethazine?
- Dosage is usually determined by your doctor based on the condition for which it is taken. Do not take more than the recommended dose as it may increase the incidence of sedation at higher doses.
- The recommended therapeutic dosage for allergic reactions in adults is 25mg (one tablet) once daily in evening/night time.
- For motion sickness in adults, 25mg tablet 30 minutes to one hour before travelling. Repeat after 12 hours if necessary.
- To prevent nausea and vomiting in adults, 12.5mg or 25mg repeated every 4-6 hours as per need.
- For patients above 65years of age and children, dose reduction and dose adjustment as per doctor’s advice is recommended.
- In patients suffering from kidney diseases, Promethazine should be administered with caution and as advised.
- In case if your condition persists or worsens after taking Promethazine, discontinue the drug and inform your doctor.
When to Avoid Promethazine?
- Promethazine should be avoided or used with caution in:
- Patients with allergy to any of its components
- Patients with severe kidney disease
- Patients undergoing haemodialysis
- Patients with glaucoma
- Patients with enlarged prostate
- Epileptic patients
- Asthma or COPD patients
- Pregnant and breast feeding women
Side-effects of Promethazine?
- In addition to its intended uses, it may cause few undesirable side effects as well. List of the most commonly observed side effects include:
Feeling of weakness
Increased sensitivity of skin to light
- Rare side effects of Promethazine:
- Faster heart beat
- Abnormal liver function
- Reduced platelet count
- Breathing problems
- Neuroleptic malignant syndrome (fever, fast heartbeat, muscle rigidity, jaundice)
- In addition it may cause some other allergic or unwanted effects. In such cases, seek medical attention immediately.
Also Read: Pyrantel Pamoate Side Effect | Pyrimethamine Side Effect
Effect on organs?
- Promethazine may affect central nervous system and can produce a variety of effects including dizziness, sleepiness and fatigue.
- Patients with severe hepatic (liver disease) and renal (kidney disease) involvement should use Promethazine with caution and under supervision of a doctor.
Reported Allergic Reactions?
Report to your doctor if you are allergic to any of its ingredients.
Signs of allergic reaction include:
- Rashes/itching of skin
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat
- Loss of consciousness
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Promethazine can interact with number of other drugs, vitamin supplements, herbal products that you are taking.
- It is always advised that you must inform the physician about all the drugs/over the counter products used before using Promethazine.
- All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Few important drug interactions are listed below:
- Antidepressant drugs
- Using these medicines along with Promethazine can influence the therapeutic effect of these medicines and also can increase the chances of side effects.
- Thus dose alteration or drug replacement might be needed when Promethazine is taken along with these drugs.
Shows Effects / Results In:
- Promethazine starts working within 20 minutes following oral administration and the effect lasts for 4-6 hours. In few cases it may last as long as 12 hours.
Is Promethazine addictive?
- Promethazine is not addictive; however self medication and dependence to these medicines should be avoided.
Can I have Promethazine with alcohol?
- Consumption of alcohol is not recommended with Promethazine therapy as it may increase the risk of adverse effects like dizziness, sedation and may act as a health hazard.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
- No alteration in its action seen with any food product.
Can I have Promethazine when pregnant?
- It is not recommended to use Promethazine during pregnancy as animal studies have shown adverse effects in foetus.
- Consult your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant while on Promethazine.
Can I have Promethazine when feeding a baby?
- It is not known whether Promethazine is excreted in human breast milk or not therefore it should only be given to lactating mothers if the benefits outweigh the risks involved.
Can I drive after taking Promethazine?
- Promethazine intake is associated with a majority of CNS side effects like dizziness, sedation, decreased alertness.
- Therefore it may not be advisable to drive a vehicle and operate heavy machinery while on this medication.
What happens if I overdose on Promethazine?
- Over dosage has been reported with Promethazine.
- Symptoms of over dosage include: drowsiness in adults, fall in blood pressure, respiratory depression, convulsions (rarely).
- If anyone is suspected of an over-dosage, seek medical care immediately.
What happens if I take expired Promethazine?
- Eating a single dose of expired Promethazine may not cause any major adverse effect.
- However, the potency of the medicine may well have decreased overtime. Thus refrain from using expired medicines.
What happens if I miss a dose of Promethazine?
- Take the missed dose as soon as you remember it. Do not take double the dose to make up for the skipped dose.
Storage of Promethazine:
Store at cool and dry place away from direct heat and moisture.
Do not freeze the medicine.
Keep medicines away from children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Promethazine
- It is best to take Promethazine in evening or at night to prevent sleepiness throughout the day which is a common side effect.
- Promethazine can make your skin more sensitive to sun and may lead to sun burns.
Other medicine's to read: Activated Charcoal | Nitrofurantoin | Penicillamine