Psyllium Husk, commonly and locally known as Isabgol, is the seed of a plant called Plantago Ovata. It is popularly used as a dietary supplement in Ayurveda. It is a natural laxative with an abundance of vitamins, minerals and good fatty acids. Read on to find out all the benefits of this multipurpose powder.
Benefits of Psyllium Husk
- Hygroscopic properties relieve constipation effectively. Presence of fiber also contributes to this benefit.
- Heals stomach infections and cures diarrhea caused due to them
- Cleanses the digestive tract and keeps the stomach healthy
- Lowers triglyceride levels, making the heart healthy. Also lowers cholesterol levels.
- Keeps blood sugar in check and decreases insulin levels in blood.
Also Read - Gokhru Benefits | Chickpea Flour Benefits
Uses of Psyllium Husk
- Used to clean the stomach and regulate bowel movement
- Used to lose weight
- Used to cure hemorrhoids
Also Read - Himalaya Ashwagandha Uses
How to Consume Psyllium Husk
Psyllium Husk can be consumed with warm water, honey, milk or curd. Mix 2 teaspoons of the powder to the base of your choice and consume after meals.
Side Effects of Psyllium Husk
As it is a natural powder, it does not have any reported side effects. However, if consumed in excess, it can cause the following:
- Stomach cramps
- Allergic reactions
Do not consume if you suffer from appendicitis or stomach blockage
Also Read - Baidyanath Musli Pak Side Effects | Brahmi Powder Side Effects
Brands That Manufacture Psyllium Husk: