Table of Contents
- What is Pyrantel Pamoate?
- How does Pyrantel Pamoate work?
- Pyrantel Pamoate Price in India
- How to Take Pyrantel Pamoate?
- Common Dosage for Pyrantel Pamoate?
- When to Avoid Pyrantel Pamoate?
- Side-effects of Pyrantel Pamoate?
- Effect on organs?
- Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Shows Effects / Results In:
- Is Pyrantel Pamoate addictive?
- Can I have Pyrantel Pamoate with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Pyrantel Pamoate when pregnant?
- Can I have Pyrantel Pamoate when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Pyrantel Pamoate?
- What happens if I overdose on Pyrantel Pamoate?
- What happens if I take expired Pyrantel Pamoate?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Pyrantel Pamoate ?
- Storage of Pyrantel Pamoate
- Pro Tips When Taking Pyrantel Pamoate:
What is Pyrantel Pamoate?
- Pyrantel Pamoate belongs to group of drugs called as “anthelmintics” which are used to kill or expel infesting helminthes (parasitic worm).
- Pyrantel Pamoate is available in two forms – 250mg tablet and suspension (250mg/5ml).
- It is drug of choice for prevention, treatment and control of:
- Hookworm infection
- Pinworm infection
- Roundworm infection
- Other parasitic infections
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: 1Mg coupon | Medlife coupons
How does Pyrantel Pamoate work?
- Pyrantel Pamoate works by paralysing the infecting worm which restricts the movement of worm and makes it easier for the body to clear them naturally in stool.
Pyrantel Pamoate Price in India
|Specifics||Pyrantel Pamoate Price|
|250 mg Strip of 2 Tablets||Rs 9.40|
|250 mg / 5 ml Bottle of 10 ml Syrup||Rs 9.40|
Also Read: Seacod Capsule Price | Septillin Price | Stugeron Price
How to Take Pyrantel Pamoate?
- The dosage and duration of Pyrantel Pamoate intake should be decided by the doctor. Do not take more than or less than the recommended dose.
- Pyrantel Pamoate can be taken with or without food but at a fixed time. Absorption following oral administration is low (10-15%) which is partly metabolized and excreted in urine.
- No fasting or patient preparation required before giving Pyrantel pamoate.
- The tablet can be swallowed as a whole or can be crushed or chewed along with plenty of fluids.
- Pyrantel Pamoate should not be stopped in between without doctor’s consent and before the course of the therapy is not completed even if symptoms have disappeared as infection may reappear.
- When taking in suspension form, always use a measuring cup for accurate dose measurement. Shake the contents of the bottle well before each use.
Common Dosage for Pyrantel Pamoate?
- The optimum dosage of Pyrantel Pamoate varies with the type of the worm infection, age and weight of the patient and initial response to the drug.
- For adults and children above 12 years of age, a single dose of 11mg/kg body weight can be administered. Maximum oral dose should not exceed 1gm per day.
- For pinworm infections, one dose is usually sufficient. Do not take more than one dose without consulting a doctor.
- In case of non improvement of symptoms or symptoms getting worse, seek medical attention immediately.
Also Read: Penicillamine Dosage
When to Avoid Pyrantel Pamoate?
- Pyrantel Pamoate should be avoided or used with caution in:
- Allergy to any of its components
- Pregnant women
- Breast feeding (consult your physician in such case)
- Patients with severe liver and kidney disease (consult your physician in such case)
- Children below 2 years of age
Side-effects of Pyrantel Pamoate?
Although Pyrantel Pamoate is not well absorbed orally, few reported side effects include:
- Abdominal pain
- Loss of appetite
In addition, it may also cause some allergic or unwanted effects. In such cases, seek medical attention immediately.
Also Read: Activated Charcoal Side Effect | Nitrofurantoin Side Effect
Effect on organs?
- No such adverse effect observed on any organ.
Reported Allergic Reactions?
Report to your doctor if you are allergic to any of the ingredients of Pyrantel Pamoate or any other anthelmintic medicine.
Signs of allergic reaction include:
- Rashes/itching of skin
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat
- Loss of consciousness
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Many medicines when taken along side some other drug have shown some interaction, resulting in decreased therapeutic effects and increased chances of side effects.
- It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about all the drugs/over the counter products/vitamin supplements being used along with Pyrantel Pamoate.
- All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Pyrantel Pamoate may interact with the following drugs and products:
Shows Effects / Results In:
- You should start to feel recovered on the same day or in 1-2 days following treatment with Pyrantel Pamoate.
Is Pyrantel Pamoate addictive?
- No such tendency has been reported.
Can I have Pyrantel Pamoate with alcohol?
- Interaction with alcohol is unknown. Consult your doctor before consumption.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
- No such interaction seen with any food product.
Can I have Pyrantel Pamoate when pregnant?
- Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
- Pyrantel Pamoate is not recommended for use during pregnancy as it may harm the developing fetus. It should only be taken if the benefits outweigh the risks.
Can I have Pyrantel Pamoate when feeding a baby?
- Safety of Pyrantel Pamoate is not known while you are breast feeding your baby.
- Always inform and consult your doctor if you are taking Pyrantel while breast-feeding your child.
Can I drive after taking Pyrantel Pamoate?
- Pyrantel Pamoate doesn’t usually affect your ability to drive. However few patients on may experience side effects like headache and dizziness.
- Caution must be exercised in such patients while driving and operating heavy machinery.
What happens if I overdose on Pyrantel Pamoate?
- It should not be administered in more than recommended dose as it may have deleterious effects.
- Patients suspected of over-dosage should seek medical care immediately.
What happens if I take expired Pyrantel Pamoate?
- Taking a single expired dose may not cause any major adverse effect. However, the potency of the medicine may well have been reduced and it might not be effective against the parasitic infection.
What happens if I miss a dose of Pyrantel Pamoate ?
- Pyrantel Pamoate is mostly administered in a single dose. In few cases, the dose has to be repeated after 2 weeks but it should be done only after consulting a doctor.
Storage of Pyrantel Pamoate
Stored at room temperature away from direct sunlight and heat.
Keep medicines away from children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Pyrantel Pamoate:
- In order to prevent parasitic re-infection following treatment with anti-parasitic drugs, it is advised to maintain good personal oral hygiene like washing hands and fingernails with soap before each meal and using the toilet, keeping the toilet seats clean, wearing washed clothes etc.
- Worm infections can easily spread in a family or people residing in the same household. It is better to evaluate other family members to for such infections even if they don’t have any symptoms.
Also Read: Promethazine | Pyrimethamine