Skip to Content
- What is Reglan?
- Uses of Reglan
- How does Reglan work?
- How to Take Reglan?
- Reglan Price In India
- Common Dosage for Reglan?
- When to Avoid Reglan?
- Side-effects of Reglan?
- Effect on organs?
- Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Drug Interactions to Be Careful About?
- Shows Effects / Results In?
- Is Reglan (Metoclopramide) addictive?
- Can I have Reglan with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Reglan (Metoclopramide) when pregnant?
- Can I have Reglan when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Reglan (Metoclopramide)?
- What happens if I overdose on Reglan?
- What happens if I take expired Reglan?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Reglan?
- Storage of Reglan (Metoclopramide)
- Pro Tips When Taking Reglan
What is Reglan?
Reglan belongs to a group of drugs called as “prokinetic agents” and is primarily used for the treatment of heartburn (gastro-oesophageal reflux disease). The active ingredient of Reglan is ‘metoclopramide’. Reglan is available in tablet forms in two strengths:
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Medlife Discount Coupon | Netmeds Discount Coupon
Uses of Reglan
Reglan is primarily used for the treatment of heartburn (gastro-oesophageal reflux disease) which cannot be treated by the conventional medicines. Reglan is also used for the treatment of gastroparesis (poor gastric emptying) thereby reducing the symptoms of nausea, vomiting, and abdominal fullness.
Also Read: Methocarbamol Uses | Neurontin Uses | Lovenox Uses
How does Reglan work?
Reglan is an antihistamine which works by blocking the release of a chemical messenger (histamine) which controls nausea, vomiting, and balance.
How to Take Reglan?
- The dosage and duration of Reglan (Metoclopramide) advised is based on your age, physical health, severity of the condition and initial response to therapy.
- Reglan is extensively absorbed after oral administration and food has no effect on its absorption thus it can be taken with or without food or as advised. For patients with gastric problems, it is better to take it after food.
- For ideal results, it should always be taken at a fixed time and at equally spaced intervals.
- The tablet should be swallowed as a whole without crushing, chewing or breaking it along with plenty of fluids.
- If it is taken as over the counter product, check the label for directions before use.
Reglan Price In India
|10 mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 23.22|
|5 mg Vial of 10 ml Injection||Rs 14.16|
|5 mg Bottle of 30 ml Syrup||Rs 31.47|
|Reglan MD: Strip of 10 Tablets MD||Rs 19.21|
Also Read: Risperdal Price
Common Dosage for Reglan?
- Reglan (Metoclopramide) should be administered as advised. Do not take more than the recommended dose or for longer periods (12 weeks) as it may increase the risk of developing Tardive Dyskinesia (a serious irreversible movement disorder).
- Reglan is not recommended for use in paediatric patients due to the risk of developing Tardive Dyskinesia and other serious side effects.
- Recommended adult dose of Reglan for gastroesophageal reflux disease patients is 10-15mg four times daily for 4-12 weeks. The dose should be administered 30 minutes before each meal and at bedtime.
- If symptoms occur intermittently, 20mg Reglan can be administered in a single dose prior to provoking the situation.
- For patients with gastroparesis, the recommended dose is 10mhg four times daily for 2-8 weeks depending upon the symptoms.
- In patients suffering from kidney diseases, Reglan (Metoclopramide) should be administered with caution and with altered dose as advised.
When to Avoid Reglan?
Reglan (Metoclopramide) should be avoided or used with caution in:
- Patients with allergy to any of its components
- History of tardive dyskinesia
- Epileptic patients
- Pheochromocytoma patients
- Patients with severe kidney disease
- Parkinson’s disease
- Patients with depression or suicidal tendencies
Side-effects of Reglan?
In addition to its intended uses, it may cause few undesirable side effects as well. List of the most commonly observed side effects include:
- Visual disturbances
- Changes in blood pressure
In addition, it may cause some serious unwanted effects like tardive dyskinesia and neuroleptic malignant syndrome. In such cases, seek medical attention immediately.
Effect on organs?
- Reglan (Metoclopramide) may affect the central nervous system and can produce a variety of extrapyramidal effects including insomnia, tremor, mask-like face, anxiety etc.
- Patients with severe hepatic (liver disease) and renal (kidney disease) involvement should use Reglan with caution and under the supervision of a doctor.
Reported Allergic Reactions?
Report to your doctor if you are allergic to any of its ingredients. Signs of allergic reaction include:
- Rashes/itching of the skin
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat
- Loss of consciousness
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About?
Reglan can interact with other drugs, vitamin supplements, herbal products that you are taking. This can be harmful. It is always advised that you must inform the physician about all the drugs/over the counter products/vitamin supplements used before using Reglan. All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Few important drug interactions are listed below:
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors
Using these medicines along with Reglan can influence the therapeutic effect of these medicines and also can increase the chances of side effects. Thus dose alteration or drug replacement might be needed when Reglan is taken along with these drugs.
Shows Effects / Results In?
- Reglan (Metoclopramide) starts showing its effects within a few hours after its administration and the effect lasts up to almost 6-8 hours.
- However, even if symptoms disappear, therapy with Reglan should always be continued until advised.
Is Reglan (Metoclopramide) addictive?
Reglan is not addictive; however, self-medication and dependence on these medicines should be avoided.
Can I have Reglan with alcohol?
Consumption of alcohol is not recommended with Reglan (Metoclopramide) therapy as it may increase the risk of adverse effects like dizziness, sedation and may act as a health hazard.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
No alteration in its action seen with any food product.
Can I have Reglan (Metoclopramide) when pregnant?
- Reglan should only be taken during pregnancy if the benefits outweigh the potential risks as there are no evident and well-controlled studies in pregnant females.
- Consult your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant for case-specific recommendations.
Can I have Reglan when feeding a baby?
- It is not known whether Reglan is excreted in human breast milk or not, therefore, it is not recommended for use while you are breastfeeding.
- Consult your doctor for case-specific recommendations if you are breastfeeding.
Can I drive after taking Reglan (Metoclopramide)?
- Reglan intake is associated with a majority of CNS side effects like dizziness, sedation, decreased alertness.
- Therefore it may not be advisable to drive a vehicle and operate heavy machinery while on this medication.
What happens if I overdose on Reglan?
- Overdosage has been reported with Reglan. Symptoms of overdosage include drowsiness, disorientation, neuroleptic malignant syndrome.
- If anyone is suspected of an over-dosage, seek medical care immediately.
What happens if I take expired Reglan?
- A single dose of expired Reglan (Metoclopramide) may not cause any major adverse effect. However, the potency of the medicine may well have decreased over time.
- Please inform your physician regarding the same if expired medicines have been taken chronically for a longer duration.
What happens if I miss a dose of Reglan?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember it. Do not take double the dose to make up for the skipped dose.
Storage of Reglan (Metoclopramide)
Store at a cool and dry place away from direct heat and moisture.
Do not freeze the medicine.
Keep medicines away from children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Reglan
- Reglan (Metoclopramide) should not be used for a longer time period (more than 12 weeks) because of the risk of developing tardive dyskinesia.
- If patients are unable to take Reglan tablets due to severe nausea and vomiting, consider administering Reglan injection IM or IV for 10 days. Switch back to oral tablets once the patient gets back to normal.
Also read about other medicine's: Keppr