What is Rifampin?
Rifampin is an antibacterial medication used to treat a variety of bacterial infections.
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Netmeds Voucher Code | Practo Coupon Code
What is Rifampin used for?
Rifampin is used for the treatment of:
- Legionnaire’s disease
Also Read: N Acetylcysteine Uses | Nasonex Uses
How Does Rifampin Work?
- Bacteria produce some proteins to carry out their vital functions.
- Rifampin suppresses the synthesis of these proteins by bacteria thereby disturbing their survival and spreading.
- This medication doesn’t directly kill the bacteria but stops it growth and hence prevents further spreading of infection.
How to Take Rifampin?
Rifampin must be swallowed as a whole with a glass of water. You must not chew, crush or break the medication while taking it. Try to take Rifampin either two hours before or 2 hours after a meal for best results.
Rifampin Price In India
|450mg/300mg Strip of Tablets||Rs 80.64|
Common Dosage for Rifampin?
Rifampin is generally prescribed one or two times daily. Your doctor may alter your dosage and its frequency depending upon the severity of your condition.
Also Read: Olanzapine Dosage | Pyrazinamide Dosage
When to Avoid Rifampin?
Avoid Rifampin if:
- You are allergic to any component of Rifampin
- You are pregnant
- You are breastfeeding
- You have liver impairment
Side-Effects of Rifampin
Some reported side effects of Rifampin are:
- Low platelet count
- Liver abnormalities
Effects of Rifampin on Organs?
Rifampin is not safe for the patients with kidney and liver disease. Your doctor may adjust your dose as per your requirement.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Some of the common allergic reactions reported with Rifampin are hives, difficulty breathing, and swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
One needs to be careful about the following drug interactions when consuming Rifampin:
Effects/Results After Consuming Rifampin
The effect of Rifampin starts within 1 day of consumption. It is firmly advised to complete your full course in order to maintain maximum benefits.
Is Rifampin addictive?
No habit forming tendency has been reported for Rifampin.
Can I have Rifampin with alcohol?
It is better to avoid alcohol when on Rifampin. Consult your doctor about limiting alcohol with this medication.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
You must consult your doctor regarding the foods to be avoided.
Can I have Rifampin when pregnant?
In most cases, it is not safe to take Rifampin if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication.
Can I have Rifampin when feeding a baby?
Rifampin is known to pass in mother’s milk to the baby. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication while you are breastfeeding.
Can I drive after taking Rifampin?
It is generally safe to drive while taking Rifampin. However, if you experience drowsiness, dizziness, a headache or any side effect that alters your consciousness then it may not be safe to drive.
What happens if I overdose on Rifampin?
An overdose of Rifampin will not improve your symptoms. It may even cause serious side-effects like stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Consult your doctor immediately in case of overdose.
What happens if I eat expired Rifampin?
If by mistake you consume a dose of expired Rifampin, the chances of harm are very less. It is advised to check the label for expiry date always before use.
What happens if I miss a dose of Rifampin?
As soon as you remember, take the missed dose. However, if it is already time for next dose, carry on with your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
Storage Requirements for Rifampin
- Always store Rifampin at a temperature around 25 degree Celsius
- Storing in moisture-prone places like bathroom may damage the tablet
- Keep Rifampin away from direct heat and sunlight
- Store it where your children and pets can’t reach
Pro Tips When Taking Rifampin
- Do not try to self-adjust the dose. Take it in the quantity prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not share your medication with anyone even if they have a similar condition.
- Discuss the pros and cons of Rifampin if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy or if you are breastfeeding.
- Complete the full course of this medication even if your symptoms have disappeared.
- Your doctor must know your medical history and allergies if any, before prescribing this medicine.
- Use of Rifampin may discolor your contact lenses so avoid using contact lenses when on this medication.