What is Risperdal?
Risperdal contains “Risperidone” as its active ingredient and is available in tablet form for oral use.
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Medlife India | Myra Coupon Code
How does Risperdal work?
Risperdal (Risperidone) is indicated for the treatment of –
- Treatment of schizophrenia.
- Treatment of acute manic or mixed episodes associated with Bipolar Disorder
- Treatment of irritability associated with autistic disorder
Risperidone helps to correct a chemical imbalance in the brain associated with these conditions.
How to Take Risperdal?
- Risperdal medicine is available in the following forms –
- Tablets 0.25 mg, 0.5 mg, 1 mg, 2 mg, 3 mg, 4 mg, 6mg
- Orally disintegrating tablets 0.5 mg, 1 mg, 2 mg
- Oral Solution: 1 mg/mL – 30 mL bottle
- Risperdal (Risperidone) long-acting formulation for deep intramuscular administration – 25 mg vial/kit, 37.5 mg vial/kit, 50 mg vial/kit
- When taken in oral form, Risperdal can be taken with or without food. In patients with gastric side effect, it can be taken immediately after food.
- When taken in tablet form, swallow the tablet as a whole with fluids. Do not chew, break, or crush.
- Never use Risperdal in more than the recommended dose or for longer periods of time without doctor’s consent.
- Do not stop treatment with Risperdal suddenly. The dosage should be tapered gradually and then stopped. Stopping the medicine suddenly may lead to withdrawal symptoms.
- In case of non-improvement of symptoms or symptoms getting worse, seek medical attention immediately.
Risperdal Price In India
|2 mg Packet of 30 Tablets||Rs 150|
|2 mg Packet of 10 Tablets||Rs 48.8|
|4 mg Packet of 30 Tablets||Rs 304.5|
|Risperdal Consta 50 mg Injection Vial of 2 ml||Rs 8180|
Also Read: Keppra Price
Common Dosage & when to take Risperdal?
- The dose and duration of treatment with Risperdal (Risperidone) depend upon the age of the patient and the type/ severity of ailment and response to initial dose.
- Usual Dosage Range of Risperdal in Schizophrenia is once or twice daily. Initial dosing is 2 mg per day. May increase the dose to a recommended dose of 4 to 8 mg per day.
- The initial dose range of Risperdal in Bipolar Mania is 2 mg to 3 mg per day.
- Once the desired results are achieved, the dose can then be gradually tapered by the physician and the lowest maintenance dose can be maintained till advised.
- Dose adjustment is needed in elderly and patients suffering from liver and kidney diseases.
When to avoid Risperdal?
Risperdal (Risperidone) should not be used or should be used with caution in the following conditions:
- Allergic to any of its components
- heart or blood vessel problems, including high and low blood pressure
- if you have heart problems, particularly irregular heart rhythm, abnormalities in the electrical activity of the heart, or if using medications that can change the heart’s electrical activity
- kidney or liver problems
- Parkinson’s disease
- epilepsy, seizures
- restlessness or difficulty sitting still
- intraoperative iris syndrome
- low blood potassium levels
- low blood sugar
- breast cancer
- disease of the pituitary gland
- Tardive dyskinesia (a reaction to some medicines with uncontrollable twitching or jerking movements of the arms and legs)
- Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome (a serious reaction to some medicines with a sudden increase in body temperature, extremely high blood pressure and severe convulsions)
- Blood clots or a family history of blood clots.
- Low white blood cell count
Side effects of Risperdal?
Risperdal (Risperidone) may produce many side effects, although they may not be common in all the patients. Commonly observed side effects:
- sleeplessness, headache, trembling,
- difficulty in concentrating
- behavioral changes such as agitation, anxiety
- joint or movement changes such as muscle stiffness and restlessness in the legs
- weight gain
- indigestion, nausea, abdominal pain, constipation
- excessive thirst
- frequent urination
- blockage in the bowel
- unusual secretion of breast milk
- breast swelling
- missed or irregular menstrual periods
- involuntary movements of the tongue, face, mouth, jaws, arms, legs or trunk
Also Read: Lovenox Side Effect | Neurontin Side Effect
Effects on organs?
Patients with liver and kidney disease should administer Risperdal (Risperidone) with caution and under the observation of a doctor.
Reported Allergic Reactions?
Tell your doctor if you are allergic to any of its ingredients. Allergy with Risperdal may exhibit the following symptoms:
- Chest tightness
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About?
Drug interactions refer to the effect of drugs on each other and on human body following ingestion. Large numbers of medicine have shown interaction with each other. It is advised that the patient must always inform the physician about all the medicines/over the counter products/vitamin supplements used. Consult your doctor before administering any other drugs concomitantly with Risperdal (Risperidone). All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Few important ones include:
- diuretics like frusemide
- sleeping tablets, tranquillisers
- antibiotics like rifampicin
- carbamazepine, a drug mainly used for epilepsy or trigeminal neuralgia
- Anti-fungals like itraconazole and ketoconazole
- medicines to treat Parkinson’s disease or a tremor
- medicines to treat epilepsy
- medicines to treat depression, panic disorder, anxiety or obsessive-compulsive disorder
- medicines for your heart or blood pressure
- medicines to treat a pre-menstrual dysphoric disorder
- other medicines to treat mental illness or psychotic conditions
- medicines to relieve severe nausea and vomiting.
Using all these medicines along with Risperdal can influence the therapeutic effect of these medicines and also can increase the chances of side effects.
Shows Effects / Results In?
4 – 6 weeks wait is generally recommended to determine the efficacy of Risperdal. However, some patients may require up to 16 – 20 weeks for improvement of symptoms.
Is Risperdal (Risperidone) Addictive?
No addictive tendency has been reported with Risperdal for drug abuse.
Can I have Risperdal with alcohol?
Interaction of Risperdal with alcohol may increase the risk of side effects and may cause excessive drowsiness and calmness, therefore, it is not recommended to consume alcohol while taking Risperdal.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
- No alteration in its action seen with any food product.
- Try to eat a moderate diet. Risperdal (Risperidone) can cause weight gain.
Can I have Risperdal when Pregnant?
- Risperdal should be used with caution in pregnancy as it has shown adverse effects on foetus.
- Trembling, muscle rigidity and trouble in feeding, all of which are reversible, may occur in newborns, if a mother uses the medicine in the last trimester of her pregnancy.
- Therefore Risperdal (Risperidone) should only be used if the benefits justify the risk to the foetus.
- Always inform your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
Can I have Risperdal when feeding a baby?
- Risperdal should not be used in breastfeeding women as the drug may pass into breast milk and lead to fatal adverse effects in foetus.
- It is recommended that you do not breast-feed while taking Risperdal.
Can I drive after taking Risperdal (Risperidone)?
- Few patients might exhibit drowsiness, dizziness or a headache after administration of Risperdal.
- Such patients should use Risperdal with caution while driving or operating heavy machinery.
What happens if I overdose on Risperdal?
- It should not be administered in more than prescribed dose.
- Taking more medication or with increased frequency will not improve your symptoms.
- Signs of overdose may include lethargy, somnolence, undue trembling, extreme muscle stiffness, high heart rate, extremely low blood pressure causing fainting or unconsciousness.
What happens if I eat expired Risperdal (Risperidone)?
- The medicine may not work as well. Please inform your physician regarding the same.
- To be on the safer side, always check and never use an expired drug.
What happens if I miss a dose of Risperdal?
- The medicine may not work well if you miss a dose because, for effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times.
- Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember. But, if it is already time for the next dose – do not double the dose.
Storage of Risperdal (Risperidone)
Storage at room temperature away from direct heat and light.
Keep medicines away from children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Risperdal
- You must not discontinue the use of Risperdal abruptly. This may lead to worsening of symptoms. A slow tapering over 6 – 8 weeks is recommended for oral formulation.
- Pre-menopausal women must inform their doctor if they do not have a period for more than 6 months while taking Risperdal.
Also Read: Methocarbamol | Reglan