Table of Contents
- 1 What is Risperidone?
- 2 Uses of Risperidone
- 3 How Does Risperidone Work?
- 4 Risperidone Price in India
- 5 How to Take Risperidone?
- 6 Common Dosage for Risperidone
- 7 Precautions – When to Avoid Risperidone?
- 8 Side-Effects of Risperidone
- 9 Effects of Risperidone on Organs
- 10 Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- 11 Effects/Results after Consuming Risperidone
- 12 Storage Requirements about Risperidone
- 13 Pro Tips When Taking Risperidone
- 14 FAQs – Things to Know About Risperidone
- 15 Is Risperidone addictive?
- 16 Can I have Risperidone with alcohol?
- 17 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 18 Can I have Risperidone when pregnant?
- 19 Can I have Risperidone when feeding a baby?
- 20 Can I drive after taking Risperidone?
- 21 What happens if I overdose on Risperidone?
- 22 What happens if I eat expired Risperidone?
- 23 What happens if I miss a dose of Risperidone?
- 24 When Was Risperidone Made?
What is Risperidone?
Risperidone is sold under the trade name Risperdal. It is an antipsychotic medication which falls under a class of atypical antipsychotics. Risperidone is usually used to treat autism with irritation, bipolar disorder, and schizophrenia.
Manufactured By – Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Buy & Get Minimum 30% Discount: Pharmeasy Coupons | Medlife Offer
Uses of Risperidone
- Risperidone helps to improve mental mood.
- It also helps to have a clear thinking and lead a better life.
- Risperidone helps recover from dementia and behavioural problems due to anxiety.
How Does Risperidone Work?
As Risperidone is an antipsychotic drug, it works by balancing the chemicals in the brain. The chemicals balanced are dopamine and serotonin which can lead to clear thinking and a better behaviour.
Risperidone Price in India
|Risperidone (volume – 10)||Rs 135.00|
How to Take Risperidone?
- Take Risperidone with a full glass of water.
- Keep the drug inside the foil packet if you are taking it.
- Remove Risperidone safely from the foil as there is a chance for drug damage.
Common Dosage for Risperidone
- In schizophrenia, the dosage for adults is up to 2 mg per day.
- In bipolar disorder, the adults can take up to 2 to 3 mg per day while for children it is only 0.5 mg per day.
- For irritated autistic children, it may vary depending upon their body weight, going up to 4mg per day.
Precautions – When to Avoid Risperidone?
While taking Risperidone you should follow the following steps:
- Don’t delay or miss a scheduled meal or snack
- Avoid consuming alcohol
- Don’t take Risperidone along with certain medications.
- Avoid the drug if you feel nausea and vomiting as you cannot take a meal due to this condition.
Side-Effects of Risperidone
Some common side effects of Risperidone are:
- Stomach pain
- Insomnia (sleeplessness)
- Dry mouth
- Gain of appetite
- Weight gain
- Anxiety or restlessness
Also Read: Tamsulosin Side Effect | Trazodone Side Effect | Vancomycin Side Effect
Effects of Risperidone on Organs
Long-term use of Risperidone, which is an antipsychotic drug can cause an increased number of liver enzymes and serum bilirubin level. It may result in hepatocellular damage due to toxicity.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
Drug interaction varies according to how the drug works. Risperidone interacts with:
- drugs to treat high blood pressure
- heartburn medications, etc.
Effects/Results after Consuming Risperidone
Rapid Risperidone will show its effect within 20 minutes and will last for up to 6 hours.
Storage Requirements about Risperidone
Risperidone can be stored in a closed container at room temperature away from heat, moisture, and direct light and also keep it from freezing.
Pro Tips When Taking Risperidone
- Do not abruptly stop taking Risperidone as it may cause some adverse effects on the body.
- If you have already conditions such as a kidney and heart problem, Parkinson’s disease, you must consult your doctor before taking Risperidone.
FAQs – Things to Know About Risperidone
Is Risperidone addictive?
No. But long-term use can cause psychological dependence on Risperidone.
Can I have Risperidone with alcohol?
No. Having Risperidone with alcohol will increase drowsiness.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Can I have Risperidone when pregnant?
No, some studies had reported that it may cause preterm delivery.
Can I have Risperidone when feeding a baby?
It is said that Risperidone is safe for the mother and infant even though it passes through the breast milk.
Can I drive after taking Risperidone?
No, you will feel drowsy after taking Risperidone.
What happens if I overdose on Risperidone?
An overdose on Risperidone would cause drowsiness or dizziness, fast heart rhythm, uncontrollable muscle movement in eye, jaw, mouth, etc.
What happens if I eat expired Risperidone?
It will not be effective but it is better to consult your doctor immediately as it may cause dangerous effects sometime.
What happens if I miss a dose of Risperidone?
If you miss a dose of Risperidone take it as soon as you remember it within the next 12 hours. If you don’t, then just go back to your regular dosage.
When Was Risperidone Made?
Risperidone was made in the late 1980’s.
Also Read: Potassium Chloride | Pradaxa