Table of Contents
- What is Shelcal?
- Uses of Shelcal
- How does Shelcal work?
- How to take Shelcal?
- Common Dosage for Shelcal
- When to Avoid Shelcal?
- Precautions While Taking Shelcal
- Side-Effects of Shelcal
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide – Shelcal Composition, Variant and Price
- Substitutes of Shelcal
- FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Shelcal
- Authored by –
1What is Shelcal?
Used mainly for treatment and management of calcium and vitamin D deficiencies like increased calcium demand during pregnancy, hypoparathyroidism, rickets, osteoporosis and Fanconi syndrome etc. Dark green colored stools, increased urination and photophobia are the major side effects at repetitive doses. It should be totally avoided in the case of Vitamin D toxicity and in patients with increased calcium levels (hypercalcaemia).
Shelcal Composition: Calcium 500mg + Vitamin D3 250 IU.
Manufactured By: Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
Prescription: Not required as it is available as OTC
Form: Tablets, capsules and syrups.
Price: Rs. 90.00 for 15 Tablets.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Vitamin and Calcium supplement.
2Uses of Shelcal
Shelcal is used for the prevention and treatment of the following conditions:
- Pregnancy: Used in the cases of pregnant women, where the physiological demand of body increases.
- Lactating women: Used in lactating women to meet the increased nutritional demand by the body.
- Hypoparathyroidism: used to treat symptoms of hypoparathyroidism.
- Neuropathy: used to manage symptoms related to peripheral neuropathy.
- Rickets: Used in cases of vitamin D deficiency like rickets (weak bone in children due to low calcium levels).
- Fanconi Syndrome: Used to treat rare kidney disorder in which excess amount of glucose, phosphates, uric acid, potassium and amino acids are excreted in urine.
- Osteomalacia: Used to treat osteomalacia caused by hypophosphatemia (low serum levels of phosphates).
- Vitamin D deficiency: Used to treat vitamin D deficiency by providing the adequate amount of vitamin D to the body.
- Bone growth: Used in kidney patients to maintain normal calcium level and thereby promoting normal bone growth.
3How does Shelcal work?
- Shelcal is composed of Calcium and Vitamin D3.
- Shelcal works by providing the required amount of calcium to the body to maintain strong bones send nerve signals, contraction and dilation of muscles and blood vessels.
- Shelcal also stimulates the calcium and phosphate absorption through intestine and kidneys.
- Shelcal maintains the calcium and phosphate level inside the body and thereby treats the conditions related to deficiency of Vitamin D and calcium.
4How to take Shelcal?
- Shelcal is usually available in tablets, capsule and syrup form.
- Shelcal tablets can be consumed orally (Via mouth) with a glass of water preferably with or after meals for better absorption or as instructed by the doctor.
- Before consuming the suspension form of Shelcal, it should be shaken up properly to have a homogenous mix of medication and a measuring cup should be used always for correct dose administration.
- It is recommended for a patient to go through the leaflet inside the package thoroughly to have a better understanding about the drug.
5Common Dosage for Shelcal
- The dosage of the drug is to be decided by the doctor for every individual as per the age, weight, mental status, allergic history and health status of the patient.
- Common dose of Shelcal in adults is one tablet twice a day or as decided by the doctor as per the severity of the symptoms.
- Paediatric consultation is mandatory before administering the drug to children.
- The gap of atleast 8-10 hours should be there between the two doses.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Shelcal?
Overdose of Shelcal can lead to increase calcium levels in blood leading to calcium toxicity with symptoms like nausea, vomiting, increased urination, thirst and heart arrhythmias and loss of consciousness. The doctor should be consulted immediately in case of Shelcal overdose.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Shelcal?
Shelcal may not exhibit the desired effects as a certain amount of drug should always be present in the systemic circulation of the body to exhibit beneficial effects. The missed dose of Shelcal should be consumed as soon as you remember it. But, it is not advisable to consume the missed dose if it’s already time to take the second dose as it may lead to drug toxicity or drug overdose.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Shelcal?
A single dose of expired Shelcal is very unlikely to cause an adverse event as it might have lost its efficacy and potency. However, one should abstain from consuming expired drug and the doctor should be immediately consulted if one feels any undesirable symptoms after consuming the expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Shelcal and till when does the effect of Shelcal stay?
- The time taken by the drug to exhibit desirable effects depends on the condition being treated and varies with every individual.
Also Read: Stemetil Dosage | Zerodol P Dosage
6When to Avoid Shelcal?
Do not Consume Shelcal Tablets:
- Allergy: In known cases of history of allergy to Shelcal or any of its ingredients.
- Hypercalcaemia/increased levels of vitamin D: In known cases of increased levels of calcium and vitamin D.
- Liver/Kidney/Heart diseases: In known cases of patients with liver, kidney or heart diseases.
- Crohn’s disease: In known cases of patients with Crohn’s disease.
- Gastrointestinal ulcers: In known cases of patients with gastrointestinal ulcers.
- Malabsorption problems: In known cases of malabsorption.
7Precautions While Taking Shelcal
- Allergic Reaction: Any allergic reaction after taking Shelcal should be immediately reported to the doctor.
- Avoid Over dosage: Drug overdose should be avoided as it can lead to toxicity.
- Time Interval: A gap of 8-10 hours should be maintained between the two doses to avoid increased levels of drug in the blood as it can lead to toxicity.
- Concomitant drug: concomitant use of antacids containing calcium and magnesium should be avoided to prevent toxicity.
Warnings When Taking Shelcal
- Consuming more than the daily prescribed dose may lead to toxicity or other undesirable effects.
- Shelcal should not be administered to patients with malabsorption problems.
- A time gap of at least 2 hours should be maintained between Shelcal and other drugs.
- Concomitant use of vitamin D supplement should be avoided.
8Side-Effects of Shelcal
The side effects associated with Shelcal Tablets used for different treatments are:
- Headache (common)
- Irritability (common)
- Metallic taste (less common)
- High blood pressure (less common)
- Appetite loss (common)
- Increased thirst, dry mouth (common)
- Weight loss (less common)
- Albuminuria (protein in urine) (rare)
- Photophobia (aversion to light) (common)
- Dizziness (Common)
- Nausea (Less common)
- Vomiting (Less common)
- Dry mouth (Common)
- Abdominal pain (Less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Shelcal?
Possible allergic reactions reported for Shelcal tablets are:
- Rashes (less common)
- Swelling of eyelids, face, lips, mouth or tongue (less common)
- Breathlessness. (less common)
What are the effects of Shelcal on organs?
The doctor should be consulted before taking Shelcal if one is suffering from liver and kidney disease as suitable dose adjustment and monitoring of kidney functions is mandatory in such cases.
9Drug Interactions to be Careful About
One needs to be careful of certain drug interactions when consuming Shelcal. These may span from certain food items to other medicines to some tests which should not be taken right after consuming Shelcal. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Shelcal
No particular food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Shelcal
All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. You must not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Acetaminophen (mild)
- Alendronate (moderate)
- Amlodipine (mild)
- Aspirin (moderate)
- Amikacin (mild)
- Amiloride (mild)
- Carvedilol (mild)
- Ciprofloxacin (mild)
- Clopidogrel (moderate)
- Cholestyramine, colestipol, or mineral oil (mild)
- Thiazide diuretics (moderate)
- Magnesium containing drugs such as antacids and laxatives (moderate)
3. Effects of Shelcal on Lab Tests
Shelcal can affect the blood cholesterol levels and can give false test results and it also can cause increased level of liver enzymes.
4. Shelcal’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any kidney diseases or allergic reactions should be taken into consideration.
Q. Can I have Shelcal with alcohol?
No. There is an increased risk of side effects with alcohol so, alcohol should be avoided. The consulting physician should be informed if you’re consuming alcohol.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No particular food item needs to be avoided.
Q. Can I have Shelcal when pregnant?
Shelcal is generally recommended for pregnant women to increase the bone strength of the developing foetus. The doctor should always be notified if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
Q. Can I have Shelcal when feeding a baby?
Shelcal is prescribed for lactating mother to meet the increased nutritional demand of body. The doctor should always be informed if you are breastfeeding your child.
Q. Can I drive after taking Shelcal?
One can drive after taking Shelcal but should avoid driving if any dizziness or drowsiness occurs.
Also Read: Meftal Side Effect | Methycobal Side Effect | Myospaz Side Effect
10Buyer’s Guide – Shelcal Composition, Variant and Price
|Shelcal Variants||Shelcal Composition||Shelcal Price|
|Shelcal OS 500mg Tablet||Alfacalcidol 0.25mg + Calcium Carbonate 500mg||Rs. 194.00 for 15 tablets.|
|Shelcal 200ml Syrup||Calcium Carbonate 625mg + Vitamin D3 125 IU/5ml||Rs. 94.05 for 1 pack|
|Shelcal M Tablet||Elemental boron 250mcg + Elemental calcium 500mg + Elemental Copper 1mg + Elemental magnesium 40mg + Elemental manganese 1.8mg + Elemental Zinc 7.5mg + Vitamin D3 250 IU||Rs. 97.80 for 15 tablets|
|Shelcal CT Tablet||Calcitriol 0.25mcg + Elemental calcium 500mg||Rs. 235.40 for 15 tablets|
|Shelcal ISO Capsule||Calcitriol 0.25mcg + Elemental calcium 200mg + Soy isoflavones 60mg||Rs. 255.00 for 15 capsules|
|Mega Shelcal Tablets||Calcium carbonate 1250mg + Folic Acid 100mcg + Lipid 619mg + Vitamin C 75mg + Vitamin D3 250 IU + Zinc Sulphate 7.5mg||Rs. 98.00 for 1 pack|
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Myra Promo Code | Netmeds Promo Code
11Substitutes of Shelcal
The following are alternative drugs for Shelcal:
- Dailycal-500 Tablet:
- Manufactured by – Systopic Laboratories Pvt
- Price – Rs. 40
- Cipcal 500 Tablet:
- Manufactured by – Cipla Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 75
- Gcs Tablet:
- Manufactured by – Micro Labs Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 78
- CM D3 Tablet:
- Manufactured by – Foregen Healthcare Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 94
Storage requirements for Shelcal Tablets
- Shelcal Tablet should be stored in a cool, moisture-free place at temperature below 25o C
- Drug should be kept out of children’s reach.
Also Read: Neurobion Price | Norflox Price
12FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Shelcal
Q. What is Shelcal?
Ans. Shelcal is a vitamin D3 supplement. It is used to treat vitamin D3 and calcium deficiency.
Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Shelcal to show results?
Ans. The shelcal tablet shows effect within the first few days of starting the oral administration.
Q. Should Shelcal be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Shelcal should not be taken empty stomach but with or after meals for better drug absorption.
Q. Does Shelcal make you drowsy?
Ans. Shelcal may cause drowsiness in a few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Shelcal Tablets?
Ans. The ideal time gap of atleast 8-10 hours should be there between two doses to avoid Shelcal toxicity or overdose.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Shelcal should never be stopped in between the cycle without consulting with the doctor. The doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Shelcal.
Q. Does Shelcal effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it does not affect the menstrual cycle. Always consult the doctor in case of pre-existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Shelcal safe for children?
Ans. Shelcal should not be administered to children without consulting paediatrician.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Shelcal?
Ans. Any liver problems, allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Shelcal
Q. Is Shelcal legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.