Table of Contents
- What is Sibelium?
- Uses of Sibelium
- How does Sibelium work?
- How to take Sibelium?
- Common Dosage for Sibelium
- When to Avoid Sibelium?
- Precautions While Taking Sibelium
- Side-Effects of Sibelium
- Drug Interactions With Sibelium to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide – Sibelium Composition, Variant and Price
- Substitutes of Sibelium
- FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Sibelium
- Authored By –
1What is Sibelium?
It is a medicine which is used for prevention of migraine attacks and prevention as well as treatment of vertigo. Headache, digestion problem and liver problems at repetitive high doses are the major side effects. It should be totally avoided in case of liver diseases, patients suffering from depression and Parkinson’s disease.
Sibelium Composition: Flunarizine 10mg
Manufactured By: J & J.
Price: Rs.148.90 for 30 tablets.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Anti vertigo & Anti migraine
2Uses of Sibelium
Sibelium serves as an antimigraine and antivertigo drug. It is used for the prevention and treatment of following conditions:
- Migraine attacks: Used mainly to prevent migraine attacks.
- Vertigo: Used to treat and manage symptoms like spinning sensation, false feeling of movement of head when it is stable (vertigo).
- Refractory Epilepsy: Used in cases of refractory epilepsy resistant to conventional anti epileptic drugs.
- Peripheral vascular disease: Used in cases of peripheral vascular disease.
- Motion sickness: Used to manage patients having motion sickness (feeling of nausea, vomiting and sickness while travelling or movement).
3How does Sibelium work?
- Sibelium contains Flunarizine as its main active ingredient.
- Flunarizine works as antagonist to calcium channel and blocks the entry of calcium through calcium channels and prevents migraine attack by dilation of blood vessels.
Also Read: Sinarest Dosage | Soframycin Dosage | Sompraz 40 Dosage
4How to take Sibelium?
- Sibelium is usually available in tablet form only.
- Tablets are usually consumed orally (Via mouth) with a glass of water or as instructed by the doctor. It can be consumed with or without food, preferably with food to avoid any potential gastric irritation.
- The tablet should not be crushed or chewed but should be swallowed as a whole.
- It is advisable to take Sibelium at a fixed time.
- It is recommended for a patient to go through the leaflet inside the package thoroughly to have a better understanding of the drug.
5Common Dosage for Sibelium
- The dosage of the drug is to be decided by the doctor for every individual as per the age, weight, mental status, allergic history and health status of the patient.
- The most common dose of Sibelium 10mg is one single tablet once at night.
- The most common dose of Sibelium 10mg for elder above 65 years and children is one single tablet once at night
- It is not advisable to administer Sibelium in children unless stated by the Paediatrician.
- The dose should not be altered without medical consultation; dose should be gradually reduced as per the doctor’s advice in case of improvement in patient’s health.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Sibelium?
Overdose of Sibelium can increase the chances of serious side effects. The doctor should be consulted immediately in case of Sibelium overdose.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Sibelium?
Sibelium may not exhibit the desired effects as a certain amount of drug should always be present in the systemic circulation of the body to exhibit beneficial effects.
The missed dose of Sibelium should be consumed as soon as you remember it. But, it is not advisable to consume the missed dose if it’s already time to take the second dose as it may lead to drug toxicity or drug overdose.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Sibelium?
A single dose of expired Sibelium is very unlikely to cause an adverse event as it might have lost its efficacy and potency. However, one should abstain from consuming expired drug and the doctor should be immediately consulted if one feels any undesirable symptoms after consuming the expired drug.
Q. What is the onset time of Sibelium?
- One may start to feel relief from symptoms and changes inside the body over a period of 2-3 weeks of starting the drug therapy.
- The time taken by the drug to show its effect may vary with every individual.
Q. Till when does the effect of Sibelium stay?
It is advised to keep a time interval between two doses of Sibelium.
6When to Avoid Sibelium?
Do not Consume Sibelium Tablets:
- Allergy/ Hypersensitivity: In known cases of allergy or hypersensitivity to Sibelium or its ingredient.
- Depression: In cases of patients of depression.
- Parkinson’s disease: In cases of patients suffering from Parkinson’s disease.
- Liver disease: In cases of patients with moderate to severe liver disease or impairment.
7Precautions While Taking Sibelium
- Empty Stomach: Do not consume Sibelium empty stomach especially in cases of gastric diseases as it can worsen the condition of the stomach.
- Allergic Reaction: Any allergic reaction after taking Sibelium should be immediately reported to the doctor.
- Avoid Over dosage: Drug overdose should be avoided.
- Lactating women: extra caution to be taken while using the drug in lactating women.
Warnings When Taking Sibelium
- Consuming more than the daily prescribed dose may lead to side effects.
- Depression is seen as the major side effect in younger patients.
- Dose alteration without proper consultation should be avoided.
- Complete prescribed dose should be taken to eliminate the symptoms.
8Side-Effects of Sibelium
The side effects associated with Sibelium Tablets used for different treatments are:
- Anxiety (less common)
- Depression (less common)
- Dizziness (common)
- Fatigue (common)
- Sedation (less common)
- Menstrual irregularities (less common)
- Muscle ache (less common)
- Skin rash (common)
- Nausea (common)
- Vomiting (common)
- Weight gain (common)
- Increased appetite (common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Sibelium?
Possible allergic reactions reported for Sibelium tablets are:
- Rashes (less common)
- Swelling of eyelids, face, lips, mouth or tongue (less common)
- Breathing difficulty (less common)
What are the effects of Sibelium tablets on organs?
It is advised to consult the doctor and consume Sibelium only after medical consultation to protect liver and kidney from any potential damage in cases of patients already suffering from liver and kidney dysfunctions.
Also Read: Serratiopeptidase Price | Signoflam Price
9Drug Interactions With Sibelium to be Careful About
One needs to be careful of certain drug interactions when consuming Sibelium. These may span from certain food items to other medicines to some tests which should not be taken right after consuming Sibelium. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Sibelium
No food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Sibelium
All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. You must not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Alcohol (mild)
- Phenytoin (moderate)
- Carbamazepine (mild)
- Diazepam (moderate)
- Amiodarone (mild)
- Oral contraceptives (mild)
3. Effects of Sibelium on Lab Tests
Sibelium does not affect any lab tests as such.
4. Sibelium ’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Q. Can I have Sibelium with alcohol?
No. Interaction of alcohol with Sibelium is not known. The doctor should be consulted before consuming alcohol with Sibelium.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No particular food item is to be avoided.
Q. Can I have Sibelium when pregnant?
No, Sibelium should be avoided during pregnancy as it is not safe and can harm the developing foetus. The doctor should always be notified if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
Q. Can I have Sibelium when feeding a baby?
No, as Sibelium is not recommended in lactating mothers and the doctor should always be informed in such cases as a precautionary measure.
Q. Can I drive after taking Sibelium?
No, as Sibelium can cause dizziness/drowsiness. Therefore, it is advisable to avoid driving or operating heavy machinery if symptoms like dizziness or drowsiness occur after taking Sibelium.
10Buyer’s Guide – Sibelium Composition, Variant and Price
|Sibelium 5mg Tablet||Flunarizine 5mg||Rs. 86.85 for 30 tablets|
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Myra Medicines | Netmeds
11Substitutes of Sibelium
The following are alternative drugs for Sibelium:
- Luna 10mg Tablet: Manufactured by Sigmund Promedica
- Fluner 10mg Tablet: Manufactured by Geno Pharma
- Flunarin 10mg Tablet: Manufactured by FDC Ltd.
- Flusaf M Tablet: Manufactured by Saf Fermion.
Storage requirements for Sibelium Tablets
- Sibelium Tablet should be stored in a cool, moisture-free place at temperature below 25o C
- Drug should be kept out of children’s reach.
Also Read: Spasmonil | Sporlac | Susten 200
12FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Sibelium
Q. What is Sibelium?
Ans. Sibelium is a solo drug containing Flunarizine as its main ingredient.
It is used to treat conditions like vertigo, motion sickness etc.
Q. How long does it take for Sibelium to show results?
Ans. Sibelium shows its affect in 2-3 weeks of administration of drug.
Q. Should Sibelium be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Sibelium should not be taken empty stomach as it may cause stomach irritation.
Q. Does Sibelium make you drowsy?
Ans. Sibelium does not drowsiness but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Sibelium Tablets?
Ans. Ideal time gap of atleast 6-8 hours should be there between two doses to avoid Sibelium toxicity or overdose.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Sibelium, when taken for heart problems due to its anticoagulant property, should never be stopped in between the cycle without consulting with the doctor.
The doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Sibelium.
Q. Does Sibelium effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it does not affect the menstrual cycle but always consult the doctor in case of pre existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Sibelium safe for children?
Ans. Sibelium in not safe and is not advised to administer to children without proper consultation. Therefore, Paediatrician should always be consulted in such cases.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Sibelium?
Ans. Any gastric irritation and allergy to drug are to be taken into consideration before taking Sibelium
Q. Is Sibelium legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Similar Reads –
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.
13Authored By –