Table of Contents
- 1 What is Sildenafil?
- 2 Uses of Sildenafil
- 3 How does Sildenafil work?
- 4 How to take Sildenafil?
- 5 Sildenafil Price In India
- 6 Common Dosage for Sildenafil
- 7 When to avoid Sildenafil?
- 8 Precautions when taking Sildenafil
- 9 Side Effects of Sildenafil
- 10 Effects on organs?
- 11 Storage Requirements for Sildenafil
- 12 Pro Tips When Taking Sildenafil
- 13 FAQs
- 14 Is Sildenafil addictive?
- 15 Can I have Sildenafil with alcohol?
- 16 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 17 Can I have Sildenafil when pregnant?
- 18 Can I have Sildenafil when feeding a baby?
- 19 Can I drive after taking Sildenafil?
- 20 What happens if I overdose on Sildenafil?
- 21 What happens if I eat expired Sildenafil?
- 22 What happens if I miss a dose of Sildenafil?
What is Sildenafil?
Sildenafil, a PDE5 inhibitor (inhibit the degradation of cGMP in erectile tissue, and thereby promote vasodilation) is used in treating chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and erectile dysfunction.
Uses of Sildenafil
Sildenafil is used to treat:
- Erectile dysfunction
- pulmonary hypertension
- Antidepressant-associated sexual dysfunction.
- Raynaud’s phenomenon.
Also Read: Zantac Uses | Zofran Uses
How does Sildenafil work?
Sildenafil acts by inhibiting cGMP-specific phosphodiesterase type 5 (phosphodiesterase 5, PDE5), an enzyme that promotes degradation of cGMP, which regulates blood flow in the penis.
How to take Sildenafil?
- Sildenafil is taken by mouth.
- It comes as oral tablet, suspension (liquid) and injections.
- Take Sildenafil before 30 minutes or 1-2 hour before sexual activity.
Sildenafil Price In India
|50 mg Strip of 4 Tablets||Rs 80.01|
Also Read: Verapamil Price | Yasmin Price
Common Dosage for Sildenafil
- Once a day is the recommended dosage.
- Dosage can vary from 25mg, 50mg and 100mg.
When to avoid Sildenafil?
- The use of Sildenafil and an a1 blocker (prescribed for hypertension) at the same time may lead to low blood pressure, but this effect does not occur if they are taken at least 4 hours apart.
- Drugs containing nitrates (nitroglycerin, isosorbide mononitrate) and guanylate cyclase stimulators (riociguat), if taken with Sildenafil can cause blood pressure to drop to an unsafe level.
- Taking HIV drugs (ritonavir, indinavir), certain antibiotics (erythromycin) and antifungals (itraconazole) along with Sildenafil may increase the risk of side effects from Sildenafil because these drugs increase the amount of Sildenafil.
Precautions when taking Sildenafil
- Sildenafil should not be used if sexual activity is inadvisable due to underlying cardiovascular risk factors.
- Sildenafil does not protect against sexually transmitted diseases.
- Do not take Sildenafil if you are allergic to it.
Side Effects of Sildenafil
Some of the reported side effects of Sildenafil are:
- Nasal congestion
- Impaired vision (blurred vision and photophobia)
- Severe low blood pressure
- Prolonged erections
- Myocardial infarction
- Sudden hearing loss
- Ventricular arrhythmias
Other medicine's Side Effect: Tylenol Side Effect
Effects on organs?
- Cardiovascular- Flushing.
- Gastrointestinal- Dyspepsia, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, dry mouth, gastritis, gastroesophageal reflux disease, hemorrhoids, abdominal distension.
- Musculoskeletal- Pain in extremity, Back pain, myalgia
- Nervous system- Headache, dizziness, migraine, tremor, paresthesia, burning sensation.
- Respiratory- Pharyngitis, rhinitis, nasal congestion, epistaxis, cough.
- Dermatologic- Rash, alopecia, erythema, night sweats
- Ocular- Abnormal vision, visual color distortion, retinal hemorrhage, vision blurred, photophobia, eye irritation.
Storage Requirements for Sildenafil
- Keep Sildenafil in a dry, airtight container.
- Keep it away from direct heat or moisture.
- Keep it out of reach of the children.
Pro Tips When Taking Sildenafil
- You can take Sildenafil with or without food.
- You can cut or crush the tablet.
- You can take Sildenafil any time of the day.
Is Sildenafil addictive?
No, but taking Sildenafil for a long time can later cause withdrawal symptoms.
Can I have Sildenafil with alcohol?
No, can lead to lower blood pressure.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Grapefruit juice and high-fat meal should be avoided, it may cause a delay in the working of Sildenafil.
Can I have Sildenafil when pregnant?
No, it may cause harm. Also, these drugs are not for women.
Can I have Sildenafil when feeding a baby?
No, it may cause harm.
Can I drive after taking Sildenafil?
Yes, it is safe to drive after taking Sildenafil.
What happens if I overdose on Sildenafil?
Overdosing on Sildenafil can cause chest pain, nausea, irregular heartbeat, and feeling light-headed.
What happens if I eat expired Sildenafil?
It is advised to not to take expired medicines.
What happens if I miss a dose of Sildenafil?
Take the next dose at the scheduled time. Never take more than the dose for a missed one.