Table of Contents
- 1 What is Sodium Thiosulphate?
- 2 Uses of Sodium Thiosulphate
- 3 How Does Sodium Thiosulphate Work?
- 4 How to Take Sodium Thiosulphate?
- 5 Sodium Thiosulphate Price In India
- 6 Common Dosage for Sodium Thiosulphate?
- 7 When to Avoid Sodium Thiosulphate?
- 8 Side-Effects of Sodium Thiosulphate
- 9 Effects of Sodium Thiosulphate on Organs?
- 10 Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
- 11 Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- 12 Effects/Results After using Sodium Thiosulphate
- 13 FAQs
- 14 Is Sodium Thiosulphate addictive?
- 15 Can I have Sodium Thiosulphate with alcohol?
- 16 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 17 Can I have Sodium Thiosulphate when pregnant?
- 18 Can I have Sodium Thiosulphate when feeding a baby?
- 19 Can I drive after taking Sodium Thiosulphate?
- 20 What happens if I overdose on Sodium Thiosulphate?
- 21 What happens if I eat expired Sodium Thiosulphate?
- 22 What happens if I miss a dose of Sodium Thiosulphate?
- 23 Storage Requirements for Sodium Thiosulphate
- 24 Pro Tips When Taking Sodium Thiosulphate
What is Sodium Thiosulphate?
Sodium Thiosulphate lotion is an antifungal drug generally used for the treatment of fungal infections. Sodium thiosulfate injection benefits in cyanide poisoning.
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Medlife Discount Coupon | Myra Medicines
Uses of Sodium Thiosulphate
Sodium Thiosulphate is used in the treatment of:
- Pityriasis versicolor
- Cyanide poisoning
- Carbon monoxide poisoning
Other medicine's to read: Tetracycline Uses | Trimethoprim Uses
How Does Sodium Thiosulphate Work?
Lotion of Sodium Thiosulphate acts by preventing the growth of fungus and killing them thereby treating fungal infections of the skin. The injectable form of Sodium Thiosulphate works by converting Cyanide to thiocyanate, which is less toxic.
How to Take Sodium Thiosulphate?
If you are prescribed with Sodium Thiosulphate lotion then apply a thin layer of this medication over the affected area of skin. If an injection is prescribed then your doctor or nurse will give you the injection.
Sodium Thiosulphate Price In India
|Specifics||Sodium Thiosulphate Price|
|One Kilograms||Rs 45|
Common Dosage for Sodium Thiosulphate?
Sodium Thiosulphate Lotion is generally prescribed 3 to 4 times a day. Your doctor may alter your dosage and its frequency depending upon the severity of your condition.
When to Avoid Sodium Thiosulphate?
Avoid Sodium Thiosulphate:
- If you are allergic to any component of Sodium Thiosulphate
- If you are sulfite sensitive
- On open wounds
- On scrapped, damaged and irritated skin
- If you have low blood pressure
Side-Effects of Sodium Thiosulphate
Some of the reported side effects of Sodium Thiosulphate are:
- Low blood pressure
- Prolonged bleeding time
- Salty taste in the mouth
- Warm sensation over the body
- Burning sensation
- Muscle cramping
Also Read: Silver Nitrate Side Effect
Effects of Sodium Thiosulphate on Organs?
Sodium Thiosulphate is not safe for the patients with kidney and liver disease. Your doctor may adjust your dose as per your requirement.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Some of the common allergic reactions reported with Sodium Thiosulphate are hives, difficulty breathing, and swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
One needs to be careful about the following drug interactions when consuming Sodium Thiosulphate:
- Blood pressure medications
Effects/Results After using Sodium Thiosulphate
The effect of Sodium Thiosulphate can be seen within 1 to 2 hours of use.
Is Sodium Thiosulphate addictive?
No habit forming tendency has been reported with Sodium Thiosulphate.
Can I have Sodium Thiosulphate with alcohol?
It is better to avoid alcohol when on Sodium Thiosulphate. Consult your doctor about limiting alcohol with this medication.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
You must consult your doctor regarding the foods to be avoided.
Can I have Sodium Thiosulphate when pregnant?
In most cases, it is not safe to take Sodium Thiosulphate if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication.
Can I have Sodium Thiosulphate when feeding a baby?
Sodium Thiosulphate is known to pass in mother’s milk to the baby. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication while you are breastfeeding.
Can I drive after taking Sodium Thiosulphate?
It is generally safe to drive while taking Sodium Thiosulphate. However, if you experience drowsiness, dizziness, a headache or any side effect that alters your consciousness then it may not be safe to drive.
What happens if I overdose on Sodium Thiosulphate?
An overdose of Sodium Thiosulphate will not improve your symptoms. It may even cause serious side-effects like stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Consult your doctor immediately in case of overdose.
What happens if I eat expired Sodium Thiosulphate?
If by mistake you consume a dose of expired Sodium Thiosulphate, the chances of harm are very less. It is advised to check the label for expiry date always before use.
What happens if I miss a dose of Sodium Thiosulphate?
As soon as you remember, take the missed dose. However, if it is already time for next dose, carry on with your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
Storage Requirements for Sodium Thiosulphate
- Store the lotion at a temperature around 25 degree Celsius
- Place the cap of lotion tightly after use
- Store the injection in a refrigerator but do not freeze it
- Keep Sodium Thiosulphate away from direct heat and sunlight
- Store it where your children and pets can’t reach
Pro Tips When Taking Sodium Thiosulphate
- Do not try to self-adjust the dose. Take it in the quantity prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not share your medication with anyone even if they have a similar condition.
- Discuss the pros and cons of Sodium Thiosulphate if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy or if you are breastfeeding.
- Complete the full course of this medication even if your symptoms disappear.
- Do not let the lotion to come into contact of your eyes.
- Do not overuse Sodium Thiosulphate.
Also read about other medicine's: Sodium Valproate | Sulfasalazine