Table of Contents
- What is Soframycin?
- Uses of Soframycin
- How does Soframycin work?
- How to use Soframycin?
- Common Dosage for Soframycin
- When to Avoid Soframycin?
- Precautions While using Soframycin
- Side-Effects of Soframycin
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide – Soframycin Composition, Variant and Price
- Substitutes of Soframycin
- FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Soframycin
- Authored By –
1What is Soframycin?
Used mainly to prevent or treat bacterial infections like bacterial skin, eye and ear infections. Burning sensation and itching or rashes on the skin are the major side effects of Soframycin when used inappropriately. It should be totally avoided in post-surgical cases and in case of allergic reactions or extremely sensitive skin.
Soframycin Composition: Framycetin sulphate 1%w/w
Manufactured by: Sanofi India Ltd.
Prescription: Not required as it is available as (Over the Counter) OTC drug.
Price: Rs 37.84 for 30gm tube.
Expiry/Shelf Life:2 years from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: antibacterial.
2Uses of Soframycin
Soframycin is used in the treatment of the following conditions:
- Secondary Infection: Used in cases, when skin lesion is infected by bacteria which can delay wound healing.
- Blisters: Used in cases of blisters.
- Eye Infections: Used in cases of eye infections where it is used with other antiseptics to cure the infection.
- Ear infections: Used in cases of ear infections caused by bacterial cells.
- Others: Used for Minor grazes, heat boil burns etc.
3 How does Soframycin work?
- Soframycin is basically a composition of four different class of drugs namely: Chlorhexidine gluconate, Clobetasol, Miconazole, Neomycin.
- Chlorhexidine gluconate acts as antiseptic and disinfectant and prevents growth of microorganisms.
- Clobetasol is corticosteroid and it acts by lowering the inflammatory signs like redness, swelling, pain etc.
- Miconazole is anti fungal and inhibits fungal growth.
- Neomycin is bactericidal in nature and it kills the bacterias.
4 How to use Soframycin?
- Soframycin is usually available in Cream form.
- Gently wash the affected area before application, wash and dry your hands properly before applying Soframycin.
- Apply a thin layer of the cream over the affected area and let it be there on the skin for some time to have desired results.
- Wash hands immediately after applying the cream.
- Soframycin should not be applied in genital areas as the skin of genital area is extra sensitive.
- Avoid excess of cream use as it may cause undesirable effects.
- It is advisable for the patient to go through the leaflet inside the package thoroughly to have a better understanding of how to handle the drug.
5 Common Dosage for Soframycin
- Soframycin usage can be decided by the doctor for every individual as per Age, Weight, Mental status, Allergic history and Health status of the patient and Condition being treated.
- The common usage of Soframycin is 3-4 times a day for a week over the affected area after properly cleaning the area.
- Duration of Soframycin usage depends on the condition being treated.
- It is advisable to consult with a dermatologist or paediatrician before application of Soframycin in children.
- Only a thin layer is to be applied to the affected area.
Q. What happens if I overuse Soframycin?
Overuse of Soframycin may not result in an early cure but it may lead to increased chances of undesirable effects. Therefore, Soframycin usage should be followed strictly as per the prescription by the doctor and in overuse cases, immediate medical help should be taken to avoid undesirable effects.
Q. What happens if I miss an application of Soframycin?
Usage of Soframycin should always be as prescribed by the doctor and in case of missed application, always try to apply it as soon as you remember. But, avoid overusing it.
Q. What happens if I use expired Soframycin?
Expired Soframycin may not cause any undesirable effect but it is advisable to avoid using the expired drug as it may not be efficacious enough to provide the needed results and the doctor should be immediately consulted in case of any undesirable symptoms after using the expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Soframycin and till when does the effect of Soframycin stay?
- Onset time of action for Soframycin can vary as per the condition being treated.
- Soframycin starts to exhibit results within a week of regular use.
- The time taken by the drug to show its effect may vary with every individual.
Also Read: Spasmonil Dosage | Sporlac Dosage | Susten 200 Dosage
6 When to Avoid Soframycin?
Do not use Soframycin if:
- Viral Infections: Soframycin should not be used in viral infections like chickenpox and herpes simplex as Soframycin is antibiotic in nature.
- Allergy/Hypersensitivity: In known cases of allergy or hypersensitivity to Soframycin or any of its ingredients.
- Fungal Eye infection: It should not be used in cases of patients suffering from a fungal, viral or pus forming infection or tuberculosis.
- Glaucoma: Soframycin eye drops should be avoided in patients with glaucoma.
- Damaged Ear Drums: Patients with damaged ear drum should avoid using Soframycin ear drops.
- Fungal Skin Infections: It should not be used in cases of patients suffering from fungal skin infections like thrush, athlete’s foot.
7Precautions While using Soframycin
- Allergic Reaction: Always seek medical help immediately in case of an allergic reaction, it occurs after using Soframycin.
- Avoid eye contact: Always apply the drug on the outer areas.
- Avoid Dose alteration: Drug alteration should be avoided unless stated by the doctor.
- Age criteria: It should be avoided in children below 1 year of age.
Warnings When using Soframycin
- Concomitant topical use of any other drug should be delayed for at least 5-10 minutes while using Soframycin.
- Usage alteration without medical advice is not recommended.
- Soframycin should not be administered in children unless specified by the Paediatrician
8Side-Effects of Soframycin
The side effects associated with Soframycin are:
- Rashes (less common)
- Burning sensation or skin irritation. (common)
- Redness of skin (less common)
- Skin peeling (rare)
- Itchiness of skin. (less common)
- Ear toxicity (Rare)
- Eye irritation (less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Soframycin?
Possible allergic reactions reported for Soframycin are:
- Rashes (less common)
- Breathlessness (less common)
- Itching (Common)
9Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of a certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Soframycin. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Soframycin. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Soframycin
No particular food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Soframycin
Since Soframycin is a topical drug, no other drugs have reactions with it unless any other topical drug is being used in the same area of application. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently using. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
3. Effects of Soframycin on Lab Tests
Soframycin doesn’t affect any laboratory test results.
4. Soframycin’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Patients with allergic reactions and fungal infections.
Q. Can I have alcohol with Soframycin?
Interaction of Soframycin with alcohol is not known. Therefore, always consult the doctor before consuming alcohol with Soframycin.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No particular food item needs to be avoided.
Q. Can I use Soframycin when pregnant?
No, it is advisable to consult the treating doctor before using in such situations. Always inform the doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
Q. Can I use Soframycin when feeding a baby?
Yes, Soframycin can be used for lactating mothers after consulting the doctor but avoid contacting the child with the drug and also avoid Soframycin application on breasts. Always notify the doctor in such cases.
Q. Can I drive after taking Soframycin?
Yes, Soframycin has no effect on driving but Soframycin eye drops can cause blurred vision. Hence, it is advisable to take extra caution.
Also Read: Signoflam Side Effect | Sibelium Side Effect
10 Buyer’s Guide – Soframycin Composition, Variant and Price
|Soframycin Variants||Soframycin Composition||Soframycin Price|
|Soframycin Skin 100gm Cream||Framycetin Sulphate 1%w/w||Rs. 130.48 for 1 pack|
|Soframycin Skin 30gm Cream||Framycetin Sulphate 1%w/w||Rs. 41.61 for 1 pack.|
11Substitutes of Soframycin
The following are alternative drugs for Soframycin:
- Sofraderm 15gm cream:
- Manufactured by – Torque Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 28.31
- Sofra Tuffle:
- Manufactured by – Sanofi India Limited.
- Price – Rs. 150
- Sofracen 15gm cream:
- Manufactured by – Universal Labs.
- Price – Rs. 15
Storage requirements for Soframycin
- Soframycin drug should be stored at a moisture free, dry place at a temperature below 25O C.
- Avoid freezing the drug
- The drug should be kept out of children’s reach.
12FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Soframycin
Q. What is Soframycin?
Ans. Soframycin is a topically used antibacterial drug. Soframycin is effective against bacterial skin infections.
Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Soframycin to show results?
Ans. Soframycin shows its effect within the first week of application but one should continue the application unless asked to stop by the doctor.
Q. Does Soframycin make you drowsy?
Ans. Soframycin generally doesn’t cause drowsiness.
Q. What should be the time gap between the two applications of Soframycin?
Ans. An Ideal time gap of at least 5-10 minutes should be there between two applications. However, one should never overuse Soframycin applications.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Soframycin should be used strictly as per the doctor’s advice. Withdrawal of Soframycin in between can lead to recurrence of symptoms.
The doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Soframycin.
Q. Does Soframycin effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. Soframycin generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle as it for topical application only but always consult the doctor in case of pre-existing menstrual problems before using the drug
Q. Is Soframycin safe for children?
Ans. Always consult the Paediatrician before applying Soframycin to children as a precautionary measure, as children’s skin is more sensitive as compared to adults.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before using Soframycin?
Ans. Any allergic history with Soframycin with symptoms like rashes, itching or burning sensation or same class of drugs, are to be taken into consideration before using Soframycin.
Q. Is Soframycin legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.