Table of Contents
- What is Spasmonil?
- Uses of Spasmonil
- How does Spasmonil work?
- How to take Spasmonil?
- Common Dosage for Spasmonil
- Precautions While Taking Spasmonil
- Drug Interactions With Spasmonil to be Careful About
- Spasmonil Composition, Variant and Price – Buyer’s Guide
- Substitutes of Spasmonil
- FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Spasmonil
- Authored By –
1What is Spasmonil?
It is a medicine which is used to prevent or treat abdominal pain and fever. Dehydration and dry mouth are the major side effects at repetitive high doses. It should be totally avoided in case of obstructive gastrointestinal diseases, Myasthenia gravis and Glaucoma
Spasmonil Composition: Paracetamol 325mg + Dicyclomine 20mg
Manufactured by: Cipla.
Prescription: To be sold by prescription as it belongs to schedule ‘H’.
Form: Tablets, Drops and Syrups
Price: Rs 22 for 10 tablets.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Antispasmodic and Antipyretic.
2Uses of Spasmonil
Spasmonil is used in the prevention and treatment of following conditions:
- Pain: Used as a pain reliever in different types of pain like Stomach ache, joint pain, toothache, ear pain and headache.
- Menstrual Cramps: Used as an effective pain reliever during menstruation (periods).
- Intestinal Cramps: Used as a pain reliever in cases of intestinal cramps.
- Fever: Used to treat mild cases of fever as it contains Paracetamol, which is anti pyretic in nature.
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Used to treat conditions like Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
3How does Spasmonil work?
- Spasmonil is basically a composition of Paracetamol and Dicyclomine.
- Paracetamol is analgesic and antipyretic in nature. Paracetamol blocks the COX enzymes and eventually blocks the Prostaglandins secretion, responsible for pain and fever and other inflammatory signs.
- Paracetamol blocks the prostaglandins and in turn lowers the body temperature and also relieves pain.
- Dicyclomine is anti cholinergic in nature and shows anti spasmodic action. It relaxes the smooth muscles of intestine and stomach and helps to relieve the abdominal cramps and pain.
- Dicyclomine also works for symptoms of flu as it blocks the secretions of body.
Also Read: Sinarest Side Effect | Soframycin Side Effect | Sompraz 40 Side Effect
4How to take Spasmonil?
- Spasmonil is usually available in tablets, drops and syrup form.
- Spasmonil tablets are usually consumed orally (Via mouth) with a glass of water or as instructed by the doctor. It should be consumed with or after food preferably with food in cases of stomach upset.
- The tablets should not be crushed or chewed but should be swallowed as a whole.
- It is advisable to take Spasmonil at a fixed time with an appropriate time interval between two doses.
- If taking Spasmonil syrup, the bottle should be shaken up well before use to have a homogenous mixture and a measuring cup should be used to consume the prescribed dose.
- It is advisable for the patient to go through the leaflet inside the package thoroughly to have a better understanding of how to handle the drug.
5Common Dosage for Spasmonil
- Spasmonil dosage can be decided by the doctor for every individual as per Age, Weight, Mental status, Allergic history, Health status of the patient and Condition being treated.
- The common adult dose of Spasmonil is a single tablet 2-3 times a day with a maximum dose of not more than 80mg in a day or as prescribed by the doctor.
- It is advisable to consult with a paediatrician before administering Spasmonil in children as a precautionary measure.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Spasmonil?
Spasmonil dosage should be strictly consumed as per the prescription by the doctor.
Overdose of Spasmonil can cause symptoms like dry skin, severe thirst, and dizziness. In such cases, immediate medical help should be taken to avoid undesirable effects.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Spasmonil?
Spasmonil should always be taken as per the fixed time schedule and in case of missed dose, always try to consume it as soon as you remember. But, avoid taking the missed dose if it’s already time to take the second dose as it may lead to drug toxicity or drug overdose.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Spasmonil?
Expired Spasmonil may not cause any undesirable effect but it is advisable to avoid consuming the expired drug as it may not be efficacious enough to provide the needed results and the doctor should be immediately consulted in case of any undesirable symptoms after consuming the expired drug.
Q. What is the Onset time of Spasmonil?
- Spasmonil can reach its peak effect within 1 hour of oral administration of the drug.
Q. ill when does the effect of Spasmonil stay?
- The time taken by the drug to show its effect may vary with every individual.
When to Avoid Spasmonil?
Do not Consume Spasmonil if:
- Liver disorders: In known cases of Liver dysfunction or diseases, Spasmonil should be avoided or used only when advised by the doctor.
- Kidney Diseases: In known cases of Kidney disease, Spasmonil should be avoided unless stated otherwise by the doctor.
- Allergy: In known cases of allergy to Spasmonil or any of its ingredients.
- Heart diseases: In the known history of patients with heart failure and stroke.
- Obstruction: In known cases of obstructive gastrointestinal diseases.
- Others: In cases like ulcerative colitis, reflux esophagitis, Glaucoma and Myasthenia gravis.
6Precautions While Taking Spasmonil
- Caution: Extra caution is advised while administering Spasmonil in conditions like heart disease, known or suspected prostate enlargement, increased blood pressure.
- Alcohol: Do not consume Spasmonil with alcohol as it can affect the liver.
- Allergic Reaction: Allergic reaction, if occurs after taking Spasmonil should be immediately reported to the doctor or trained medical staff.
- Avoid Dose alteration: Drug alteration should be avoided unless stated by the doctor.
- Time Interval: A fixed time gap is to be maintained between the two doses to avoid toxicity, atleast 4-6 hours between two doses.
Warnings When Taking Spasmonil
- Consuming more than the daily prescribed dose may lead increased risk of side effects.
- Spasmonil may increase the risk of heat stokes.
- Intake of plenty of fluids is advisable to avoid overheating of body and potential side effects.
- Spasmonil should not be administered in patients with autonomic neuropathy.
Side-Effects of Spasmonil
The side effects associated with Spasmonil are:
- Nausea (common)
- Headache (less common)
- Dizziness (less common)
- Acute toxicity (rare)
- Dryness (common)
- Lethargy (common)
- Heat stroke (less common)
- Tachycardia (less common)
- Drowsiness (common)
- Confusion (rare)
- Coma (rare)
- Sleeplessness (less common)
- Psychosis (rare)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Spasmonil?
Possible allergic reactions reported for Spasmonil are:
- Rashes (less common)
- Swelling of eye, face, lips, mouth or tongue (less common)
What are the effects of Spasmonil on organs?
- Spasmonil should be used with caution in patients with liver or kidney disorders.
- Dose alteration/adjustment may be required in such cases.
Also Read: Sporlac Price | Susten 200 Price
7Drug Interactions With Spasmonil to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Spasmonil. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Spasmonil. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Spasmonil
No particular food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Spasmonil
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Narcotic painkillers ex. Meperidine
- Antiarrhythmic agents ex. Quinidine
- Antipsychotic drugs ex. Phenothiazines
3. Effects of Spasmonil on Lab Tests
Spasmonil doesn’t affect any laboratory test results.
4. Spasmonil ’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any Liver and kidney diseases and obstructive gastrointestinal diseases.
Q. Can I have Spasmonil with alcohol?
No, Spasmonil can interact with alcohol to produce undesirable effects and can even cause liver damage in severe cases. Always consult the doctor before consuming alcohol with Spasmonil.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
Q. Can I have Spasmonil when pregnant?
No, Spasmonil should be used during pregnancy only when absolutely necessary and the benefits outweigh the risk. Always inform the doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
Q. Can I have Spasmonil when feeding a baby?
No, Spasmonil is not recommended in lactating mothers as its secreted in human milk. Therefore, always notify the doctor in such cases as a precautionary measure.
Q. Can I drive after taking Spasmonil?
Spasmonil can cause dizziness in few cases and hence, it is advisable to avoid driving or operating heavy machinery in such cases.
8Spasmonil Composition, Variant and Price – Buyer’s Guide
|Spasmonil Plus tablet||Dicyclomine 10mg + Mefenamic Acid 250mg||Rs. 24.75 for 10 tablets|
|Spasmonil 10ml Drops||Dicyclomine 10mg + Dimethicone 40mg/ml.||Rs. 18.65 for 1 pack|
|Spasmonil Forte tablet||Mefenamic Acid 500mg + Paracetamol 450mg||Rs. 17.50 for 10 tablets|
|Spasmonil Forte 60ml Syrup||Mefenamic Acid + Paracetamol||Rs. 15.6 for one pack|
9Substitutes of Spasmonil
The following are alternative drugs for Spasmonil:
- Spasmocip Plus Tablet:
- Manufactured by – Cipla.
- Price – Rs. 30
- Coligan 500mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by – Samson labs.
- Price – Rs. 9.50
- Colicure Tablet:
- Manufactured by – MPI India.
- Price – Rs. 30
- Natspas Tablet:
- Manufactured by – Natco Generic.
- Price – Rs. 15
Storage requirements for Spasmonil Tablets
- Spasmonil Tablet should be stored in a cool, moisture-free place at temperature below 25O
- Drug should be kept out of children’s reach.
10FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Spasmonil
Q. What is Spasmonil?
Ans. Spasmonil is a dual component drug that contains Paracetamol and Dicyclomine as its active ingredient and is used to treat spasmodic pain and fever (mild cases).
Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Spasmonil to show results?
Ans. Spasmonil shows its effect within almost 1 hour of administration of drug.
Q. Should Spasmonil be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Spasmonil should not be taken empty stomach to prevent any potential stomach upset.
Q. Does Spasmonil make you drowsy?
Ans. Spasmonil may cause drowsiness in few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Spasmonil doses?
Ans. Ideal time gap of atleast 4-6 hours should be there between two doses to avoid Spasmonil toxicity or overdose.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Spasmonil should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken and the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Spasmonil.
Q. Does Spasmonil effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle but one should always consult the doctor in case of pre existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Spasmonil safe for children?
Ans. Spasmonil should only be administered in children after proper consultation and recommendation by the Paediatrician.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Spasmonil?
Ans. Any liver disorder or allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Spasmonil.
Q. Is Spasmonil legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Also read about other medicine's: Serratiopeptidase | Sibelium | Signoflam
Similar Reads –
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.
11Authored By –