Skip to Content
Thinking about getting in shape? If yes, then you must try Spirulina which is a great supplement to consume in your weight loss journey. Spirulina is a floating microalga which is cultivated worldwide and is used as a dietary supplement. Being a great source of dietary protein, Vitamin B, and iron, it has properties that help to fight weight loss and other diseases like fatigue, anxiety, depression, diabetes, and pre-menstrual syndrome.
Spirulina — classified as a cyanobacteria, or blue-green algae — has been used for centuries as a food source in many countries. Recently, it has experienced a surge in popularity as a dietary supplement — Celeste Robb-Nicholson, M.D.Editor in Chief, Harvard Women’s Health Watch
Properties of Spirulina
- Fatty Acids
- Vitamin B
- Linoleic Acid
- Essential Nutrients
Benefits of Spirulina for Weight Loss
1. Low in Calories
Spirulina consists of essential nutrients that get absorbed by the body after its intake. Being low in calories, Spirulina will help you to lose weight at a faster pace with proper exercising and a healthy diet. You can add spirulina in water or juices without worrying about gaining weight.
2. Contains Essential Nutrients
This microalga has abundant essential nutrients that get absorbed by the body and helps in increasing the pace of metabolism. Being rich in Vitamin C, B1, B6, B5, and E and a lot of minerals like manganese, copper, zinc, these vitamins and minerals help in keeping the body healthy. The enzymes and dietary fibres make the process of digestion and metabolism better. While these nutrients also help in removing toxins and preventing fat absorption.
3. Reduces Harmful Oxygen Radicals
Spirulina has great antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that help to remove the harmful oxygen radicals present in the human body. The major factors of weight loss are toxic formation and inflammation, thus by consuming Spirulina, you can contribute more towards your weight loss.
4. Helps in Digesting Faster
It is a rich source of protein which makes it a great dietary supplement in weight loss. It contains around 60-70% protein and also has a lot of amino acids which helps to make metabolism fast. Consuming spirulina makes you feel full for a longer period of time due to the high percentage of proteins.
5. Reduces Appetite
Spirulina consists of an amino acid named phenylalanine that helps in stimulating the secretion of cholecystokinin which is an appetite suppressant. Consuming Spirulina regularly helps you shed those extra kilos.
Also Read - Noni Juice for Weight Loss
Ways to Use (Our Expert Tips)
- Take 1 Tablespoon of Spirulina powder and mix it well with a fruit juice or veggie juice. For a great taste, you can add a few drops of lemon or pink salt.
- Make a salad with veggies and add 1 tablespoon of Spirulina powder to it.
- You can also add 1 tbsp Spirulina powder to water that will help in weight loss.
- Consuming 500 mg of Spirulina tablets 2 times a day can be helpful.
Side Effects of Spirulina
- Excessive dosage of Spirulina may cause liver damage and shock.
- Pregnant women and children must avoid using Spirulina.
- People suffering from hypothyroidism must avoid Spirulina.
- People allergic to seafood must also avoid consumption of Spirulina.