Table of Contents
- 1 What is Sporlac DS?
- 2 Uses of Sporlac DS
- 3 How does Sporlac DS work?
- 4 How to take Sporlac DS?
- 5 Sporlac DS Common Dosage
- 6 When to Avoid Sporlac DS?
- 7 Precautions While Taking Sporlac DS:
- 8 Side-Effects of Sporlac DS:
- 9 Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- 9.1 1. Food Interactions with Sporlac DS
- 9.2 2. Medicines Interactions with Sporlac DS
- 9.3 3. Effects of Sporlac DS on Lab Tests
- 9.4 4. Sporlac DS’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
- 9.5 Q. Can I have Sporlac DS with alcohol?
- 9.6 Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 9.7 Q. Can I have Sporlac DS when pregnant?
- 9.8 Q. Can I have Sporlac DS when feeding a baby?
- 9.9 Q. Can I drive after taking Sporlac DS?
- 10 Buyer’s Guide – Sporlac DS Composition, Variant and Price
- 11 Substitutes of Sporlac DS
- 12 FAQs – 12 Important Questions Answered about Sporlac DS
- 12.1 Q. What is Sporlac DS?
- 12.2 Q. What are the uses of Sporlac DS ?
- 12.3 Q. What are the side effects of Sporlac DS ?
- 12.4 Q. How effective is Sporlac DS?
- 12.5 Q. Should Sporlac DS be taken on an empty stomach?
- 12.6 Q. Does Sporlac DS make you drowsy?
- 12.7 Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Sporlac DS doses?
- 12.8 Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
- 12.9 Q. Does Sporlac DS effect my menstrual cycle?
- 12.10 Q. Is Sporlac DS safe for children?
- 12.11 Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Sporlac DS?
- 12.12 Q. Is Sporlac DS legal in India?
- 13 Authored By –
What is Sporlac DS?
Sporlac DS is mainly used to prevent or treat conditions like diarrhea, indigestion, immunity boosting and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Acute toxicity and abdominal pain are the major side effects at high repetitive doses. It should be totally avoided in case of intestinal perforation, high fever and allergy.
Sporlac DS Composition: Lactobacillus Acidophilus 120 million spores
Manufactured By: UNI Sankyo
Prescription: Not required as it is available as over the counter drug.
Form: Tablet, capsule and sachets.
Price: Rs. 89.50 for 20 tablets.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Probiotic
Uses of Sporlac DS
Sporlac DS is used to prevent or treat following conditions:
- Diarrhoea: Used to treat diarrhoea including Traveller’s diarrhoea and diarrhoea caused due to antibiotics.
- Indigestion: Used to prevent or treat digestion problems.
- Immunity building: Used as an immunity booster in cases of low immunity.
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS): Used to treat conditions like Irritable bowel syndrome.
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD): Used to treat inflammatory bowel disease.
- GI Disorders: Used to treat gastrointestinal disorders like gastroenteritis, colitis
- Others: Used to treat other conditions like amoebic dysentery and vaginal infections.
How does Sporlac DS work?
- Sporlac DS Contains lactobacillus Acidophilus as its main active ingredient
- Lactobacillus Acidophilus is a combination of good bacterias and yeast, which is introduced in the intestine intentionally to balance the microbial flora (internal environment) of the intestine.
- Use of Antibiotics and other conditions can cause a disbalance between the good and bad bacterias and can lead to pathologies (diseases)
- Introduction of good bacteria inside the body leads to a competition between good and bad bacterias for nutrients.
- Eventually, the bad bacterias die because of the loss of nutrients.
How to take Sporlac DS?
- Sporlac DS is available in tablet and sachet form
- If consuming the Sporlac DS tablet, it should be consumed with or after food with a glass of water with the evenly spaced time interval between two doses if taking more than one dose a day.
- It is advisable to take the dose recommended by the doctor only
- If using Sporlac DS as an over the counter drug, the leaflet should be read thoroughly to have a proper understanding of the drug
- The tablet should not be crushed or chewed but should be swallowed as a whole.
Prolonged use without proper consultation is not advised.
Sporlac DS Common Dosage
- The dosage of the drug is to be decided by the doctor for every individual as per the age, weight, mental status, allergic history of the patient.
- The common adult dose is one tablet twice or thrice a day depending on the condition being treated
- Common Dose for children below 14 years of age is one tablet once a day or as stated by the physician
- Paediatrician should always be consulted before administering the drug in kids.
- Dose alteration without proper medical consultation is not advisable
Q. What happens if I overdose on Sporlac DS?
Overdose may lead to increase chances of side effects and the doctor or medical staff should be consulted immediately in such cases
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Sporlac DS?
Dose prescribed by the doctor should never be missed and if missed, it should be consumed always as soon as you remember it. But, avoid taking a double dose if it’s already time for the second dose after that as it may lead to an overdose of the drug
Q. What happens if I eat expired Sporlac DS?
Expired Sporlac DS might not exhibit effects or any undesirable effects. However, one should abstain from consuming expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Sporlac DS?
The time taken by the drug to show effect varies with every individual patient.
Q. Till when does the effect of Sporlac DS stays?
- One should start to feel recovered on the first day of treatment or in the first few days although it also depends upon the severity of the condition being treated
- Complete prescribed dose should be consumed for proper cessation of disease process
Also Read: Sinarest Dosage | Soframycin Dosage | Sompraz 40 Dosage
When to Avoid Sporlac DS?
Do not Consume Sporlac DS if:
- Allergy: In cases of known history of allergy to any of its content
- Infection: In cases of patients with intestinal perforations and infections
- Fever: In cases of high fever
- Intolerance: In cases of drug intolerance
Precautions While Taking Sporlac DS:
- Allergy: It should not be administered to patient already known to have allergy with the drug
- Proper consumption: Tablets should not be crushed or chewed while consuming
- Avoid dose alteration: Always consult the doctor for any dose alteration
Warnings When Taking Sporlac DS
- Sporlac DS is a probiotic, therefore it does not cure the underlying disease. It only provides relief from the symptoms
- Sporlac DS can be prescribed by the doctor with antibiotics to prevent side effects of antibiotics like oral ulcers, diarrhoea etc.
- While taking antibiotics and Sporlac DS, minimum 2 hours interval is to be kept between both the drugs to avoid any drug-drug interactions
Side-Effects of Sporlac DS:
Sporlac DS is usually safe in populations like infants, adults, pregnant and lactating women but following side effects are seen in few cases:
- Acute toxicity (less common)
- Nausea (common)
- Rashes (common)
- Bloating (common)
- Abdominal pain (less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Sporlac DS?
- In case of any allergic signs like Itching, Chest tightness, Breathlessness, Swelling of face, lips and tongue, Rashes
- Immediate medical help should be taken in case of any above signs appear.
What are the effects of Sporlac DS on organs?
- Sporlac DS should used with caution in patients with liver or kidney impairment as Sporlac DS is mainly metabolized in the liver and excreted through kidneys
- It may cause alteration in liver enzymes, so SGOT SGPT levels should be monitored regularly
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Sporlac DS. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Sporlac DS. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Sporlac DS
No particular food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Sporlac DS
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Alcohol (mild)
- Antibiotics (mild)
- Immunosuppressants (mild)
3. Effects of Sporlac DS on Lab Tests
Sporlac DS can affect SGPT, SGOT (liver enzymes) levels
4. Sporlac DS’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any allergy or high fever.
Q. Can I have Sporlac DS with alcohol?
Alcohol consumption with Sporlac Ds can increase the risk of undesirable effects and may cause drowsiness in some cases. The doctor should always be consulted before consuming alcohol with Sporlac DS
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No particular food item is to be avoided.
Q. Can I have Sporlac DS when pregnant?
No incident of side effects in pregnant women has been reported yet but the doctor should always be informed in case of pregnancy or if you are planning to conceive
Q. Can I have Sporlac DS when feeding a baby?
Yes, it is safe to use in nursing mothers but the doctor should still be consulted before administering the drug to nursing mothers
Q. Can I drive after taking Sporlac DS?
It is safe to drive but one should avoid taking Driving if they experience symptoms like drowsiness or dizziness after taking Sporlac DS
Also Read: Spasmonil Side Effect | Susten 200 Side Effect
Buyer’s Guide – Sporlac DS Composition, Variant and Price
|Sporlac DS Variants||Sporlac DS Composition||Sporlac DS Price (Rs.)|
|Sporlac 1gm Sachet||Lactobacillus 150 Million Spores||Rs. 27.32 for 1 pack|
|Sporlac Plus Capsules||Lactobacillus 2.5 Billion Spores||Rs. 147.95 for 10 capsules|
|Sporlac DS tablet||Lactobacillus 120 Spores||Rs. 98.45 for 20 tablets|
|Sporlac Vc Tablet||Bacillus coagulans 1 Billion Spores||Rs. 110 for 10 tablets|
|Sporlac Qik 1Gm Sachet||Lactobacillus 1.5 Billion Spores||Rs. 40.19 for 1 pack|
|Sporlac 500 Tablet||Bacillus coagulans 500 Million Spores||Rs. 55 for 10 tablets|
|Z Sporlac 1GM Sachet||zinc 10mg+Lactobacillus 150 Million Spores /1gm||Rs. 20.62 for 1 pack|
Substitutes of Sporlac DS
The following are alternative drugs for Sporlac DS:
- Ozolab DT tablet:
- Manufactured by Ozone Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Price- Rs. 28
- Darolac Plus Sachet:
- Manufactured by Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd
- Price- Rs. 72.7
- Vizylac Capsule:
- Manufactured by Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Price- Rs. 45
- Lactocip DS Tablet:
- Manufactured by Cipla
- Price- Rs. 56
Also Read: Serratiopeptidase Price | Sibelium Price | Signoflam Price
Storage requirements for Sporlac DS
- The drug should be in a cool, moisture free place away from direct heat and light.
- Keep the drug where it is out of children’s reach.
FAQs – 12 Important Questions Answered about Sporlac DS
Q. What is Sporlac DS?
Ans. Sporlac DS is a synthetically derived drug which contains Lactobacillus Acidophilus as its main active ingredient. Lactobacillus Acidophilus are naturally found in the intestine. Sporlac DS works as a probiotic that is, it is made up of live bacterias and yeast which proves beneficial in restoring natural health and balance of good bacteria’s inside the intestine and stomach, which can get disturbed by various conditions and factors.
Q. What are the uses of Sporlac DS ?
Ans. Sporlac DS works as a probiotic that is, it is made up of live bacterias and yeast which proves beneficial in restoring natural health and balance of good bacteria’s inside the intestine and stomach, which can get disturbed by various conditions and factors.
Q. What are the side effects of Sporlac DS ?
Ans. The most common side effects of Sporlac DS are Acute toxicity, Nausea, Rashes, Bloating, Abdominal pain
Q. How effective is Sporlac DS?
Ans. One should start to feel recovered on the first day of treatment or in the first few days although it also depends upon the severity of the condition being treated
Q. Should Sporlac DS be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. No, Sporlac DS should not be taken empty stomach to prevent any gastric distress.
Q. Does Sporlac DS make you drowsy?
Ans. No, Sporlac DS generally does not cause drowsiness but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Sporlac DS doses?
Ans. Ideal time gap of 4-6 hours should be there between two doses.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Sporlac DS should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken. And the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Sporlac DS.
Q. Does Sporlac DS effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle but one should always consult the doctor in case of pre existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Sporlac DS safe for children?
Ans. Sporlac DS can be administered in children but proper consultation and recommendation by the Paediatrician should be taken. Variants of Sporlac DS are available for use in paediatric population with appropriate composition.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Sporlac DS?
Ans. Any intestinal perforation, allergy or high fever cases are to be taken into consideration before taking Sporlac DS.
Q. Is Sporlac DS legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India
Similar Reads –
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.