Table of Contents
- 1 What is Stemetil?
- 2 Uses of Stemetil
- 3 How does Stemetil work?
- 4 How to take Stemetil?
- 5 Common Dosage for Stemetil
- 6 When to Avoid Stemetil?
- 7 Precautions While Taking Stemetil
- 8 Side-Effects of Stemetil
- 9 Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- 10 Buyer’s Guide – Stemetil Composition, Variant and Price
- 11 Substitutes of Stemetil
- 12 FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Stemetil
- 13 Authored by –
What is Stemetil?
Used predominantly for the treatment of symptoms like vertigo, nausea, vomiting and hearing loss (Meniere’s disease) Jaundice, low white blood cells counts are the major side effects at repetitive high doses. It should be totally avoided in the case of Myasthenia gravis, glaucoma and Parkinson’s disease.
Stemetil Composition: Prochlorperazine 5mg
Manufactured By: Abbott.
Form:Tablets and Injection.
Price: Rs.71.50 for 10 tablets.
Expiry/Shelf Life:24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug:Anti vertigo and Antipsychotics.
Uses of Stemetil
Stemetil serves as an anti-vertigo drug. It is used for the prevention and treatment of the following conditions:
- Schizophrenia: Used in cases of patients suffering from Schizophrenia (a mental disorder characterized by disorganized speech or behavior).
- Anxiety: Used as a means of short term treatment of anxiety.
- Nausea & Vomiting: Used to treat nausea and vomiting.
- Vertigo: Used to treat and manage symptoms like spinning sensation, a false feeling of movement of the head when it is stable (vertigo).
- Dizziness: Used to treat cases of Dizziness.
- Meniere’s disease: Used in cases of inner ear disorder with symptoms like ringing in ear, sensation of spinning of head and fullness in ear.
- Motion sickness: Used to manage patients having motion sickness (feeling of nausea, vomiting and sickness while travelling or movement).
How does Stemetil work?
- Stemetil contains Prochlorperzine as its main active ingredient.
- Prochlorperazine works by blocking the dopamine receptor in the brain which is responsible for controlling the mood and blocking dopamine receptor leads to management of psychotic illness.
- Stemetil also affects the centre of nausea and vomiting in the brain and therefore, helps to control nausea and vomiting.
- Thus, it helps to provide relief in cases of vertigo, motion sickness and other symptoms.
Also read about other medicine's: Meftal | Methycobal| Myospaz
How to take Stemetil?
- Stemetil is usually available in tablet and injection form.
- Tablets are usually consumed orally (Via mouth) with a glass of water or as instructed by the doctor. It should be consumed with or after food instead of an empty stomach to prevent any potential gastric irritation.
- The tablet should not be crushed or chewed but should be swallowed as a whole.
- It is advisable to take Stemetil at a fixed time.
- Stemetil injection is to be administered by trained medical personnel only.
- It is recommended for a patient to go through the leaflet inside the package thoroughly to have a better understanding of the drug.
Common Dosage for Stemetil
- The dosage of the drug is to be decided by the doctor for every individual as per the age, weight, mental status, allergic history and health status of the patient.
- The most common adult dose of Stemetil for nausea and vomiting is a single 5mg tablet 2-3 times a day or as advised by the doctor.
- The adult dose of Stemetil for anxiety is 15-20mg in a day in divided doses or as advised by the doctor.
- The adult dose of Stemetil for mental illness is 75-100mg in a day in divided doses or as advised by the doctor.
- It is not advisable to administer Stemetil in children under the age of 12 years unless stated by the Paediatrician.
- The dose should not be altered without medical consultation; dose should be gradually reduced as per the doctor’s advice in case of improvement in a patient’s health.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Stemetil?
Overdose of Stemetil can increase the chances of serious side effects. The doctor should be consulted immediately in case of Stemetil overdose.
Q.What happens if I miss a dose of Stemetil?
Stemetil may not exhibit the desired effects as a certain amount of drug should always be present in the systemic circulation of the body to exhibit beneficial effects.
The missed dose of Stemetil should be consumed as soon as you remember it. But, it is not advisable to consume the missed dose if it’s already time to take the second dose as it may lead to drug toxicity or drug overdose.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Stemetil?
A single dose of expired Stemetil is very unlikely to cause an adverse event as it might have lost its efficacy and potency. However, one should abstain from consuming expired drug and the doctor should be immediately consulted if one feels any undesirable symptoms after consuming the expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Stemetil and till when does the effect of Stemetil stay?
- Stemetil Tablets reaches its peak effect in about 30 minutes to 1 hour after oral administration.
- The average duration of action is 3-4 hours.
- It is advised to keep a time interval between two doses of Stemetil.
When to Avoid Stemetil?
Do not Consume Stemetil Tablets:
- Allergy/ Hypersensitivity: In known cases of allergy or hypersensitivity to Stemetil or its ingredient.
- Kidney/liver/heart diseases: In cases of patients suffering from moderate to severe liver, heart or kidney impairment.
- Elderly people: In cases of old age patients with dementia (memory loss).
- Parkinson’s disease: In cases of patients with Parkinson’s disease, Myasthenia Gravis and Glaucoma.
- Enlarged Prostate: In cases of patients with enlarged prostate problem.
- Epileptic patients: In cases of epileptic patients.
- Pregnant/lactating women: In cases of pregnant or lactating women.
Precautions While Taking Stemetil
- Empty Stomach: Do not consume Stemetil empty stomach especially in cases of gastric diseases as it can worsen the condition of the stomach.
- Allergic Reaction: Any allergic reaction after taking Stemetil should be immediately reported to the doctor.
- Avoid Over dosage: Drug overdose should be avoided.
- Time Interval: A gap of 4-6 hours should be maintained between the two doses to avoid increased levels of drug in the blood as it can lead to toxicity.
Warnings When Taking Stemetil
- Consuming more than the daily prescribed dose may lead to Gastric problems.
- Dose alteration without proper consultation should be avoided.
- Complete prescribed dose should be taken to eliminate the symptoms.
Side-Effects of Stemetil
The side effects associated with Stemetil Tablets used for different treatments are:
- Confusion (common)
- Dry mouth (common)
- Weakness (common)
- Low WBC (white blood cell) count (less common)
- Abnormal movement of hands, legs, face (less common)
- Abnormal heartbeat (less common)
- Skin rash (less common)
- Sensitive to light (less common)
- Drowsiness (common)
- Dizziness (common)
- Jaundice (less common)
- Postural hypotension (sudden lowering of blood pressure) (less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Stemetil?
Possible allergic reactions reported for Stemetil tablets are:
- Rashes (less common)
- Swelling of eyelids, face, lips, mouth or tongue (less common)
- Breathing difficulty (less common)
What are the effects of Stemetil tablets on organs?
It is advised to consult the doctor and consume Stemetil only after medical consultation to protect liver and kidney from any potential damage in cases of patients already suffering from liver and kidney dysfunctions.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
One needs to be careful of certain drug interactions when consuming Stemetil. These may span from certain food items to other medicines to some tests which should not be taken right after consuming Stemetil. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Stemetil
No food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Stemetil
All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. You must not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Alcohol (mild)
- Anti depressants (moderate)
- Anti hypertensive drugs (mild)
- Cimetidine (mild)
- Diuretics (moderate)
- Diazepam (moderate)
- Morphine (moderate)
- Phenobarbitone (moderate)
- Antihistamines (mild)
- Anti Parkinson’s drugs (mild)
3. Effects of Stemetil on Lab Tests
Stemetil does not affect any lab tests as such.
4. Stemetil’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Parkinson’s disease, Myasthenia Gravis and Glaucoma.
Q. Can I have Stemetil with alcohol?
No. Interaction of alcohol with Stemetil can cause excessive drowsiness or calmness. The doctor should be consulted before consuming alcohol with Stemetil.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No particular food item is to be avoided.
Q. Can I have Stemetil when pregnant?
Stemetil should only be used during pregnancy if necessary and the doctor should always be notified if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
Q. Can I have Stemetil when feeding a baby?
No, as Stemetil is not recommended in lactating mothers and the doctor should always be informed in such cases as a precautionary measure.
Q. Can I drive after taking Stemetil?
Stemetil can cause drowsiness or dizziness in some cases. Hence, it is advisable to avoid driving or operating heavy machinery if symptoms like dizziness or drowsiness occur after taking Stemetil.
Also Read: Neurobion Side Effect | Norflox Side Effect | Shelcal Side Effect
Buyer’s Guide – Stemetil Composition, Variant and Price
|Stemetil Variants||Stemetil Composition||Stemetil Price|
|Stemetil Injection||Prochlorperazine 12.5mg||Rs. 15.40 for 1 Pack|
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Pharmeasy promo code
Substitutes of Stemetil
The following are alternative drugs for Stemetil:
- Resvom MD Tablet:
- Manufactured by – UHL.
- Price – Rs. 30
- Emikind MD Tablet:
- Manufactured by – Mankind Pharma Ltd.
- Price – Rs. 36.59
- Acuvert Tablet:
- Manufactured by – Abbott.
- Price – Rs. 55.25
- Vometil Tablet:
- Manufactured by – Cipla.
- Price – Rs. 14
Storage requirements for Stemetil Tablets
- Stemetil Tablet should be stored in a cool, moisture-free place at temperature below 25o C
- Drug should be kept out of children’s reach.
Also Read: Zerodol P Price
FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Stemetil
Q. What is Stemetil?
Ans. Stemetil is a solo drug containing Prochlorperazine as its main ingredient. It is used to treat conditions like vertigo, Meniere’s disease, motion sickness etc.
Q. How effective it is/ how long does it take for Stemetil to show results?
Ans. Stemetil shows its affect in 30minutes to 1 hour of administration of drug with average duration of action of 3-4 hours.
Q. Should Stemetil be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Stemetil should not be taken empty stomach as it may cause stomach irritation.
Q. Does Stemetil make you drowsy?
Ans. Stemetil may cause drowsiness in a few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Stemetil Tablets?
Ans. The ideal time gap of atleast 4-6 hours should be there between two doses to avoid Stemetil toxicity or overdose.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Stemetil should not be stopped in between the cycle without consulting with the doctor. The doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Stemetil.
Q. Does Stemetil effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it does not affect the menstrual cycle but always consult the doctor in case of pre-existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Stemetil safe for children?
Ans. Stemetil in not safe and is not recommended for children below 12 years of age. Therefore, Paediatrician should always be consulted in such cases.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Stemetil?
Ans. Parkinson’s disease, Myasthenia gravis, and Glaucoma are to be taken into consideration before taking Stemetil
Q. Is Stemetil legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.