Table of Contents
- What is Stugeron?
- Uses of Stugeron
- How does Stugeron work?
- How to take Stugeron?
- Common Dosage for Stugeron
- When to Avoid Stugeron?
- Precautions While Taking Stugeron
- Side-Effects of Stugeron
- Drug Interactions with Stugeron to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide – Stugeron Composition, Variant and Price
- Substitutes of Stugeron
- FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Stugeron
- Authored By –
1What is Stugeron?
It is a medicine which is used to prevent or treat conditions like vertigo, tinnitus (noise in ears), migraine etc. Tremor and drug induced Systemic Lupus Erythematosus are the major side effect at high repetitive doses. It should be totally avoided in case of liver or kidney impairment, glaucoma and Parkinson’s diseases.
Also Read in Hindi: About Stugeron
Stugeron Composition: Cinnarizine 25mg
Manufactured By: J & J
Price: Rs. 168 for 25 tablets.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Antihistamine + Antispasmodic
2Uses of Stugeron
Stugeron is used to prevent or treat following conditions:
- Migraine: Used as a prophylactic measure for conditions like Migraine
- Motion Sickness: Used as a prophylactic measure for motion sickness.
- Peripheral Circulatory Disorders: Used as maintenance therapy for peripheral circulatory disorder symptoms like Reynaud’s phenomenon, varicose ulcers, nocturnal cramps and cold extremities.
- Cerebrovascular symptoms: Used as maintenance therapy of symptoms of cerebrovascular origin like noise in ear (tinnitus), headache, irritability and memory loss.
- Labyrinthe Disorders: Used as maintenance therapy of symptoms of Labyrinthe disorders like vertigo, nausea, vomiting and nystagmus (uncontrolled eye movement).
3How does Stugeron work?
- Stugeron contains Cinnarizine as its active main ingredient.
- Cinnarizine inhibits the calcium ion influx into the cells and reduces availability of calcium ions for contraction of smooth muscles.
- Cinnarizine increases the microcirculation of blood by decreasing its viscosity and exhibiting its anti vasoconstrictor activity.
- Cinnarizine also inhibits Stimulation of vestibular system, which leads to nystagmus suppression and also prevents acute vertigo episodes.
4How to take Stugeron?
- Stugeron is usually available in the form of tablets.
- Stugeron Tablet is taken by mouth with a glass of water preferably after meals.
- Stugeron Tablet can be chewed or crushed or can be swallowed as a whole.
- Stugeron Tablet should be taken with equal time interval between two doses, if more than one dose a day is prescribed.
- It is advisable to go through the pack insert properly before consuming the drug to have a better understanding of the drug.
Also Read: Penicillamine Price | Nitrofurantoin Price
5Common Dosage for Stugeron
- Stugeron dosage can be decided by the doctor for every individual as per Age, Weight, Mental status, Allergic history and Health status of the patient.
- Common dose of Stugeron Tablet for vestibular symptoms for adults and children over 12 years of age is two tablets 3 times a day or as stated by the doctor.
- Common dose of Stugeron Tablet for vestibular symptoms for children of 5-12 years of age is one tablet 3 times a day or as stated by the doctor.
- Common dose of Stugeron Tablet for motion sickness for adults, elderly and children over 12 years of age is 2 tablets 2 hours before travelling and one tablet every eight hourly if require or as stated by the doctor.
- Common dose of Stugeron Tablet for motion sickness for children of 5-12 years of age is 1 tablet 2 hours before travelling and half a tablet every eight hourly if require or as stated by the doctor.
- An interval of at least 4-6 hours between two doses.
- It is advisable to take pediatric consultation before administering to children.
- Dose alteration should be avoided without proper medical consultation.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Stugeron?
Overdose of Stugeron can cause undesirable effects like excess sleepiness, coma, vomiting and excess salivation and can also lead to complications in few cases.
Therefore, strictly adhere to the prescribed dose and seek medical help immediately in case of any symptoms of overdose.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Stugeron?
Dose prescribed by the doctor should never be missed and if missed, it should be consumed always as soon as you remember it. But, avoid taking a double dose if it’s already time for the second dose after that as it may lead to overdose of the drug
Q. What happens if I eat expired Stugeron?
Consuming expired Stugeron tablet might not exhibit desirable effects or any side effects. However, one should abstain from consuming expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Stugeron and till when does the effect of Stugeron stays?
The time taken for the effect of Stugeron depends on condition being treated.
Time taken by drug to show the desired effects may vary with every individual patient.
6When to Avoid Stugeron?
Do not Consume Stugeron if:
- Allergy: In cases of known allergy to Stugeron or any other antihistamines.
- Galactose intolerance: In cases of galactose intolerance or galactose malabsorption.
- Gastric problem: In cases of patients with history of gastric problems.
- Blood Disorder: In cases of patients with blood disorder (ex: Porphyria)
- Parkinson’s Disease: In cases of patients with Parkinson’s disease.
- Glaucoma: In cases of patients with Glaucoma.
- Liver/ Kidney impairment: In cases of patients with liver disease and kidney disease or impairment.
Also Read: Promethazine Uses | Pyrantel Pamoate Uses | Pyrimethamine Uses
7Precautions While Taking Stugeron
- Liver/ Kidney diseases: Dose alteration may be required by the physician in patients with kidney and liver impairments.
- GI problems: Stugeron should be used with extra caution in patients with history of gastrointestinal problems.
- Difficulty in urination: prostate problems or difficulty in urination, extra caution is advisable.
Warnings When Taking Stugeron
- There should be equally spaced time interval between two doses.
- Consume plenty of fluids to counteract the potential undesirable effects of the drug.
- Always consume the tablet with or after meals to prevent any gastric irritation.
Also Read: Seacod Capsule Dosage | Septillin Dosage
8Side-Effects of Stugeron
The side effects associated with Stugeron are:
- Nausea (common)
- Vomiting (common)
- Headache (common)
- Loss of appetite, indigestion (less common)
- Weight gain (common)
- Jaundice(less common)
- Light-headedness, restlessness (less common)
- Dry mouth (common)
- Stomach Ache (common)
- More saliva in mouth than usual (common)
- Increased sweating (less common)
- Depression (common)
- Increased heart rate (common)
- Tremors (less common)
- Skin rashes (less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Stugeron?
- Stugeron is known to cause allergic reaction with symptoms like rashes, breathing difficulty, swelling of face, lip and throat.
- In case of any such signs, immediate medical help should be taken.
What are the effects of Stugeron on organs?
Stugeron should used with caution in patients with liver or kidney impairment as it can affect the liver and kidneys.
9Drug Interactions with Stugeron to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Stugeron. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Stugeron. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Stugeron
No particular food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Stugeron
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Sleeping pills (mild)
- Other allergy drugs (moderate)
- Narcotic pain medicine (mild)
- Muscle relaxants (mild)
- Drugs used for fits (moderate)
- Drugs used for depression (mild)
- Anti-anxiety drugs (mild)
3. Effects of Stugeron on Lab Tests
Stugeron does not affect any lab tests as such.
4. Stugeron ’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any Liver or kidney diseases and glaucoma.
Q. Can I have Stugeron with alcohol?
No, it is advisable to avoid alcohol consumption while on Stugeron therapy as it can worsen the drowsiness. Therefore, the doctor should always be consulted before taking alcohol with Stugeron.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No particular food item is to be avoided.
Q. Can I have Stugeron when pregnant?
No, it is not safe to consume during pregnancy as animal studies have shown teratogenic effects. Always inform the doctor before taking Stugeron in cases of pregnancy or if you’re planning to conceive.
Q. Can I have Stugeron when feeding a baby?
No, try to avoid Stugeron tablet and use it only when necessary and with caution after informing the doctor about the case.
Q. Can I drive after taking Stugeron?
No as it can cause drowsiness. Hence, one should avoid driving or operating heavy machinery if drowsiness or dizziness occurs.
10Buyer’s Guide – Stugeron Composition, Variant and Price
|Stugeron Forte Tablet||Cinnarizine 75mg||Rs. 360.00 for 20 tablets|
|Stugeron Plus Tablet||Cinnarizine 20mg + Dimenhydrinate 40mg||Rs. 117.00 for 10 tablets|
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Pharmeasy Medicines | Medlife Medicines
11Substitutes of Stugeron
The following are alternative drugs for Stugeron:
- Vertiron Tablet: Manufactured by Cipla
- Vertigon 25mg Tablet: Manufactured by Geno Pharma
- Diznil 25mg Tablet: Manufactured by Strides
- Cinzan 25mg Tablet: Manufactured by FDC Ltd.
Storage requirements for Stugeron
- Store the Stugeron tablet at a dry place away from direct heat or sunlight at temperature below 25O
- Keep it at a place away from children’s reach.
Also Read: Activated Charcoal Side Effect
12FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Stugeron
Q. What is Stugeron?
Ans. Stugeron is a single component drug which contains Cinnarizine as its main active ingredient. It is used mainly to treat symptoms like vertigo, nausea, vomiting, memory loss and tinnitus etc.
Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Stugeron to show results?
Ans. The effect of Stugeron depends on the condition being treated and the time taken by drug to show the desired effects may vary with every individual patient.
Q. Should Stugeron be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Stugeron should not be taken empty stomach to prevent any potential stomach upset.
Q. Does Stugeron make you drowsy?
Ans. Yes, Stugeron may cause drowsiness in few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Stugeron doses?
Ans. Ideal time gap of 4-6 hours should be there between two doses.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Stugeron should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken and the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Stugeron.
Q. Does Stugeron effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle but one should always consult the doctor in case of pre existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Stugeron safe for children?
Ans. Stugeron should be administered in children only after proper consultation and recommendation by the Paediatrician.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Stugeron?
Ans. Any liver disorder, glaucoma, Parkinson’s disease or allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Stugeron.
Q. Is Stugeron legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Similar Reads –
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.
13Authored By –