What is Suboxone?
Suboxone contains buprenorphine and naloxone as chief ingredients.
Manufactured By – Glaxosmithkline Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Myra Promo Code | Netmeds Discount Coupon
Uses of Suboxone
Suboxone is used for maintenance treatment of adults who are addicted to opioid drugs as part of a complete treatment program that also includes counseling, psychosocial support, and behavioural therapy. Suboxone is not used as a painkiller medication.
How does Suboxone work?
- Suboxone contains buprenorphine and naloxone as chief ingredients.
- Buprenorphine is an opioid medication, sometimes called a narcotic. Buprenorphine binds to opioid receptors and acts as a pain decreasing medicine in the central nervous system.
- Naloxone blocks the effects of opioid medication by blocking the ability for opiates to attach to the opioid receptors.
How to Take Suboxone?
- Suboxone is available in the form of Suboxone 8 mg/2 mg sublingual tablets.
- Treatment must be under the supervision of a doctor proficient in the management of opiate dependence/addiction.
- Your hands should be dry when using Suboxone.
- Place the sublingual Suboxone tablet or film under your tongue and let the medicine dissolve slowly.
- Do not chew, crush or swallow the Suboxone tablet or film.
Suboxone Price In India
|Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 50|
Also Read: Singulair Price | Synthyroid Price
Common Dosage for Suboxone?
- Administer Suboxone (Buprenorphine And Naloxone) sublingual film or tablets sublingually as a single dose per day.
- The recommended daily dose for maintenance is 16 mg/4 mg as a single dose per day.
When to Avoid Suboxone?
Suboxone should be avoided or used with caution in the following conditions:
- Allergy to any of its components
- Respiratory depression
- Trouble breathing or lung problems
- Enlarged prostate gland
- Head injury or brain diseases
- Difficulty in urination
- Curve in the spine that affects breathing
- Liver or kidney diseases
- Gallbladder problems
- Adrenal gland problems
- Addison’s disease
- Low thyroid
- History of alcoholism
- Mental problems such as hallucinations
- Pregnant or plan to conceive
- Breastfeeding women
Side-effects of Suboxone (Buprenorphine And Naloxone)?
In addition to its intended uses, Suboxone may cause few undesirable side effects which may include:
- Cold and cough
- Chest infection
- Throat infection
- Runny nose
- Decreased libido
- Thinking abnormal
- Abnormal dreams
- Drug dependence
- Euphoric mood
- Altered sensation
- Difficulty in speech
- Loss of consciousness
- Eye infection
- Excessive tears formation
- Chest pain
- Decreased or increased heartbeat
- Heart failure
- Heart attack
- Palpitations – awareness of one’s heartbeat
- Changes in blood pressure – increased/decreased
- Excessive yawning
- Difficulty in breathing
- Stomach pain
- Gas in stomach
- Ulcers in mouth
- Colour changes on the tongue
- Liver diseases
- Excessive hair growth
- Loss of hair
- Dry skin
- Swelling on lips and tongue
- Back pain
- Muscle pain
- Pain in joints
- Urine abnormalities, like excessive protein in the urine
- Erectile dysfunction
- Disorders in the menstrual cycle
- Drug withdrawal syndrome
- Increase in weight
- Abnormal liver enzymes
- Heat stroke
Also Read: Ultram Side Effect | Ventolin Side Effect | Voltaren Side Effect
Effect on organs?
Suboxone (Buprenorphine And Naloxone) should be used with caution in patients suffering from kidney, liver, thyroid, heart and gallbladder diseases.
Reported Allergic Reactions?
Allergic reactions with Suboxone have been reported. Inform your doctor if you are allergic to any of its ingredients. Signs of allergic reaction include:
- Rashes/itching of the skin
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat
- Loss of consciousness
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
Drug interactions refer to the effect of drugs on each other and on the human body after ingestion. There are large numbers of medicines which have shown to interact with each other. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the doctor about all the drugs/over the counter products/vitamin supplements used while using Suboxone (Buprenorphine And Naloxone), especially –
- Central nervous system depressants
- Opioid derivatives (e.g. methadone, analgesics, and antitussives)
- Clonidine and related substances
- Naltrexone and nalmefene
- Macrolide antibiotics
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors
Is Suboxone addictive?
Yes. Habit forming tendency has been reported with Suboxone. Prolonged use must be avoided.
Can I have Suboxone (Buprenorphine And Naloxone) with alcohol?
Consumption of alcohol is not recommended when on Suboxone therapy.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
No alteration in its action seen with any food product.
Can I have Suboxone (Buprenorphine And Naloxone) when pregnant?
- Suboxone is not recommended during pregnancy.
- Consult your doctor in case if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant for case-specific recommendations.
Can I have Suboxone when feeding a baby?
- Suboxone is not recommended for use while you are breastfeeding as the drug may pass into breast milk and may harm the foetus.
- Consult your doctor for case-specific recommendations.
Can I drive after taking Suboxone (Buprenorphine And Naloxone)?
Driving is not recommended while taking Suboxone therapy.
What happens if I overdose on Suboxone?
- Suboxone (Buprenorphine And Naloxone) should never be administered in more than prescribed dose.
- The manifestations of overdose include pinpoint pupils, sedation, low blood pressure, respiratory depression, and death.
What happens if I take expired Suboxone?
- A single dose of expired Suboxone may not cause any major adverse effect. However, the potency of the medicine may well have decreased over time.
- Please inform your physician regarding the same if expired medicines have been taken chronically for a longer duration.
What happens if I miss a dose of Suboxone?
- The medicine may not work well if you miss a dose because a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times for its effective working.
- Kindly consult your physician.
Storage Requirements for Suboxone (Buprenorphine And Naloxone)
- Store at a cool and dry place away from direct heat and moisture.
- Do not freeze the medicine.
- Keep medicines away from children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Suboxone
- Buprenorphine can be misused or abused in a manner similar to other opioids, legal or illicit. Therefore, you must not share the drug with anyone else.
- You must always keep Suboxone (Buprenorphine And Naloxone) safely out of reach of children. Accidental consumption in children can cause severe, possibly lethal, respiratory depression.
Other medicine's to read: Pravastatins | Prilosec | Remicade