Table of Contents
- What is Sulfasalazine?
- Uses of Sulfasalazine
- How Does Sulfasalazine Work?
- How to Take Sulfasalazine?
- Sulfasalazine Price In India
- Common Dosage for Sulfasalazine?
- When to Avoid Sulfasalazine?
- Side-Effects of Sulfasalazine
- Effects of Sulfasalazine on Organs?
- Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Effects/Results After Consuming Sulfasalazine
- Is Sulfasalazine addictive?
- Can I have Sulfasalazine with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Sulfasalazine when pregnant?
- Can I have Sulfasalazine when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Sulfasalazine?
- What happens if I overdose on Sulfasalazine?
- What happens if I eat expired Sulfasalazine?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Sulfasalazine?
- Storage Requirements of Sulfasalazine
- Pro Tips When Taking Sulfasalazine
What is Sulfasalazine?
Sulfasalazine is an anti-inflammatory drug used to treat the inflammation due to certain diseases.
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Practo Online
Uses of Sulfasalazine
Sulfasalazine is used in the treatment of:
- Ankylosing spondylitis
- Crohn’s disease
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Ulcerative colitis
- Inflammatory bowel disease
How Does Sulfasalazine Work?
Sulfasalazine acts by blocking certain chemicals in the body which cause inflammation reactions and produce swelling, pain, and redness.
How to Take Sulfasalazine?
Sulfasalazine tablet must be swallowed as a whole with a glass of water. You must not chew, crush or break the tablet while taking it. You should consume Sulfasalazine on a full stomach or after a little snack.
Sulfasalazine Price In India
|500mg Strip of 50 Tablets||Rs 190.00|
Common Dosage for Sulfasalazine?
Sulfasalazine is generally prescribed two times to four times daily. Your doctor may alter your dosage and its frequency depending upon the severity of your condition.
When to Avoid Sulfasalazine?
Avoid Sulfasalazine if:
- You are allergic to any component of Sulfasalazine
- You are allergic to sulfa drugs
- You have an intestinal and urinary obstruction
- You have Porphyria
- You have a history of blood disease
- You have liver dysfunction
Side-Effects of Sulfasalazine
Some of the reported side effects of Sulfasalazine are:
- Appetite loss
- Orange color urine
- Weight loss
- Blood disorders
- Mood changes
Effects of Sulfasalazine on Organs?
Long-term use of Sulfasalazine is not safe for the patients with kidney and liver disease. Your doctor may adjust your dose as per your requirement.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Some of the common allergic reactions reported with Sulfasalazine are hives, difficulty breathing, and swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
One needs to be careful about the following drug interactions when consuming Sulfasalazine:
- Folic acid
- Blood sugar lowering drugs
Effects/Results After Consuming Sulfasalazine
The effect of Sulfasalazine can be observed within 6 to 12 weeks of administration. Your disease symptoms will start to improve after taking this medication.
Is Sulfasalazine addictive?
Sulfasalazine is not addictive in nature
Can I have Sulfasalazine with alcohol?
It is better to avoid alcohol when on Sulfasalazine. Consult your doctor about limiting alcohol with this medication. Co-consumption of alcohol with Sulfasalazine causes excessive sleepiness and drowsiness.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
You must consult your doctor regarding the foods to be avoided.
Can I have Sulfasalazine when pregnant?
In most cases, it is not safe to take Sulfasalazine if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication.
Can I have Sulfasalazine when feeding a baby?
Sulfasalazine is known to pass in mother’s milk to the baby. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication while you are breastfeeding.
Can I drive after taking Sulfasalazine?
It is generally safe to drive while taking Sulfasalazine. However, if you experience drowsiness, dizziness, a headache or any side effect that alters your consciousness then it may not be safe to drive.
What happens if I overdose on Sulfasalazine?
An overdose of Sulfasalazine will not improve your symptoms. It may even cause serious side-effects like stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Consult your doctor immediately in case of overdose.
What happens if I eat expired Sulfasalazine?
If by mistake you consume a dose of expired Sulfasalazine, the chances of harm are very less. It is advised to check the label for expiry date always before use.
What happens if I miss a dose of Sulfasalazine?
As soon as you remember, take the missed dose. However, if it is already time for next dose, carry on with your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
Storage Requirements of Sulfasalazine
- Always store Sulfasalazine at a temperature around 25 degree Celsius
- Storing in moisture-prone places like bathroom may damage the tablet
- Keep Sulfasalazine away from direct heat and sunlight
- Store it where your children and pets can’t reach
Pro Tips When Taking Sulfasalazine
- Do not try to self-adjust the dose. Take it in the quantity prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not share your medication with anyone even if they have a similar condition.
- Discuss the pros and cons of Sulfasalazine if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy or if you are breastfeeding.
- You must drink plenty of fluids while on Sulfasalazine.
- This medication is not for use in children aged less than 2 years
Also Read: Tetracycline | Trimethoprim