Table of Contents
Sulphates are not the enemy. All commercial shampoos contain some sort of sulphate base which helps the shampoo create a rich lather when it comes in contact with water. This gives hair a squeaky clean feeling. It also removes most of the scalp build-up caused by pollution and oil.
Sulphates, mainly Sodium Laureth Sulphate (SLS) are primarily used in household cleaners and detergents. These are meant to clean stubborn stains on your kitchen floor or clothes. Can you imagine how harsh this substance would have to be to clean those stains? Evidently, you do not want SLS in your shampoo, treating your hair in a harsh manner.
Also Read: Best Mild Shampoo Brands in India
Sulphate Ingredients In A Shampoo
Here are the most common sulphates in shampoos to watch out for:
- Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (SLS)
- Sodium Laureth Sulphate (SLES)
- Ammonia Laureth Sulphate (ALS)
- TEA Lauryeth Sulphate (TEA)
- Sodium Myreth Sulphate (SMS)
The Terrible Effects Of Sulphates
Considering most shampoo brands contain SLS, you might have been exposing your hair to the compound for years. Here’s what it might have done to your hair.
- Dry Hair & Scalp: SLS strips your hair and scalp of protective natural oils. It leaves the hair dry and prone to breakage.
- Irritation: If you suffer from dandruff or other scalp irritation conditions, sulphates can make it worse.
- Color Fade: Hair treated with color can become dull and faded with SLS.
- Hair Loss: SLS damages hair cuticles to make it weak causing hair fall.
If you suffer from these hair problems, the cause might be this one ingredient in your shampoo. Check your shampoo for the most common sulphates.
Check Out: How To Use a Dry Shampoo
Benefits of Choosing A Sulphate Free Shampoo
If you switch to a sulfate free shampoo today, here is how your hair will benefit from the first wash:
- Scalp and hair will retain natural oils. This will keep hair and scalp moisturized and prevent damage.
- By preventing damage, your hair will be free from troubles like dryness, split ends and hair fall.
- Your color will last longer and colored hair will look shiny and fresh
- Scalp irritation and dandruff will decrease. Your scalp will become healthier and toned.
- Your shampoo won’t cause too much irritation if it comes in contact with your eyes.
- Your hair will be bouncy, shiny and smooth
How to Choose A Sulphate Free Shampoo?
A sulphate free shampoo contains only natural ingredients which make the price a bit steeper. But, it’s always worth as your hair becomes much better by using a Sulphate free shampoo. Organic brands in India which offer sulphate free shampoos include:
You can find more sulfate free shampoos in the Indian market which are also affordable. Given below are the list of brands that offer exciting discounts on Sulphate free shampoos.
Sulphate free shampoos contain natural ingredients which are gentle on your hair. These do a great job of cleaning your hair without requiring too much lather. The most common ingredients in the best sulphate free shampoos are bhringraj, henna, reetha, shikakai, honey, amla, neem, tulsi and more. Look for these ingredients that do wonders for your hair with no chemicals at all. We have curated the list of Best Sulphate Free Shampoos available in the market that nourishes your hair from roots to tips without harming your scalp or pH level of your hair.
Now that you know all the good things about going sulfate free, we sure hope you’re changing your shampoo today!
Related Stories You Should Read
- Best Shampoo For Split Ends
- Best Shampoo For Dry Scalp
- Best Shampoo For Oily Scalp
- Best Herbal Shampoo