Table of Contents
- What is Susten 200?
- Uses of Susten 200
- How does Susten 200 work?
- How to take Susten 200?
- Susten 200 Common Dosage
- When to Avoid Susten 200?
- Precautions While Taking Susten 200:
- Side-Effects of Susten 200:
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide – Susten 200 Composition, Variant and Price
- Substitutes of Susten 200
- FAQs – 12 Important Questions Answered about Susten 200
- Authored By –
1What is Susten 200?
Susten 200 is mainly used to prevent or treat conditions like endometrial hyperplasia, secondary amenorrhea and hormone replacement therapy. Liver failure and convulsions are the major side effects at high repetitive doses. It should be totally avoided in case of liver or heart diseases, abnormal genital bleeding and pregnancy.
Susten 200 Composition: Progesterone 200 mg
Manufactured By: Sun Pharma Laboratories Ltd.
Prescription: Required as it comes under Schedule ‘H’.
Form: Capsule and injections.
Price: Rs. 230 for 10 tablets.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Synthetic hormone.
2Uses of Susten 200
Susten 200 is used to prevent or treat following conditions:
- Endometrial hyperplasia: Used in cases of endometrial hyperplasia.
- Secondary amenorrhea: Used to treat cases like secondary amenorrhea.
- Replacement therapy: Used in cases of hormone replacement therapy.
- Contraception: Used as a means of contraception to prevent unwanted pregnancy.
- Uterine bleeding: Used in cases of dysfunctional uterine bleeding.
Also Read: Spasmonil Uses | Sporlac Uses
3How does Susten 200 work?
- Susten 200 Contains Progesterone as its active ingredient.
- Progesterone works for hormone replacement therapy as it replaces the Estrogen present in the uterus and prevents the uterus from negative effects of Estrogen.
- Progesterone also prevents thickening of uterus wall thereby preventing uterine cancer
- It regulates the ovulation and menstruation in women of child bearing potential and prevents early cases of pregnancy
4How to take Susten 200?
- Susten 200 is available in form of capsules (for oral, vaginal and rectal use) and injections.
- Susten 200 capsule can be taken via mouth, vagina, and rectum.
- If consuming Susten 200 orally, it should preferably be consumed with a glass of water after having meals.
- Susten 200 capsule should be swallowed as a whole instead of crushing or chewing.
- Susten 200 capsules should be taken before going to bed as it can cause dizziness or drowsiness in some patients.
- Susten 200 capsules should be taken while I’m standing position with a glass of water for easy swallowing.
- It is mandatory to go through the leaflet in the cover of the drug for the proper understanding of the drug.
5Susten 200 Common Dosage
- The dosage of the drug is to be decided by the doctor for every individual as per the age, weight, mental status, allergic history of the patient.
- The common dose for Susten 200 in treatment of secondary amenorrhea is a single dose of 400 mg at night for 10 days.
- The doctor should be consulted properly for dose and case-specific recommendations.
- Dose alteration without medical consultation is to be avoided
Q. What happens if I overdose on Susten 200?
Overdose may lead to symptoms like drowsiness, dizziness or nausea. One should immediately consult the doctor or take proper medical help
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Susten 200?
The dose prescribed by the doctor should never be missed and if missed, it should be consumed always as soon as you remember it. But, avoid taking a double dose if it’s already time for the second dose after that as it may lead to an overdose of the drug.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Susten 200?
The expired drug is very unlikely to cause any harm but it is recommended to always consult your doctor in such cases and one should abstain from consuming the expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Susten 200?
The effects/results of Susten200 vary with the condition being treated.
Q. Till when does the effect of Susten 200 stays?
The patient starts to notice the symptoms getting disappeared after taking Susten 200 but it depends on the condition
6When to Avoid Susten 200?
Do not Consume Susten 200 if:
- Allergy: In cases of known allergy to Susten200 or any of its constituents or variants.
- Genital bleeding: In cases of undiagnosed abnormal genital bleeding.
- Breast cancer: In cases of known or suspected history of breast cancer.
- DVT/ Pulmonary embolism: In cases of deep vein thrombosis or pulmonary embolism.
- Heart diseases: In cases of the known history of conditions like stroke or myocardial infarction.
- Pregnancy: In cases of known or suspected pregnancy.
- Liver diseases: In cases of history or known liver disease or impairment.
7Precautions While Taking Susten 200:
- Renal/ Cardiac dysfunction: In cases of renal or cardiac dysfunction, extra caution is to be taken as susten200 can cause fluid retention in such cases.
- Caution: In cases of patients operating heavy machinery or driving, extra caution is needed as Susten200 can cause drowsiness or dizziness.
- Avoid in Children: Susten200 is not to be administered to Paediatric patients.
- Avoid in elderly patients: Studies have not been conducted for geriatric patients above 65 years. Therefore, the drug is not advisable for such patients
Warnings When Taking Susten 200
- Avoid taking Susten200 if you are allergic to it or Progesterone.
- Susten200 should be preferably consumed at night before going to bed as it may cause drowsiness in some patients.
- Regular monitoring of liver enzymes should be done.
- Always complete the prescribed course of medicine
8Side-Effects of Susten 200:
Susten 200 can cause following side effects:
- Blurred vision (less common)
- Pruritis (common)
- Alopecia (Hair loss) (common)
- Congenital heart disease (less common)
- Hypertension (common)
- Tachycardia (common)
- Menorrhagia (less common)
- Ovarian cyst (less common)
- Hepatic failure (less common)
- Cholestatic hepatitis (less common)
- Aggression (less common)
- Convulsion (less common)
- Loss of consciousness (less common)
- Dizziness (common)
- Drowsiness (common)
- Confusion (less common)
- Increased blood glucose level (less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Susten 200?
- In case of any allergic signs like Itching, Redness, Rashes
- Immediate medical help should be taken in case of any above signs appear.
What are the effects of Susten 200 on organs?
- Susten 200 should be used with caution in patients with liver disease or impairment as it affects the liver enzymes.
9Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of a certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Susten 200. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Susten 200. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Susten 200
No particular food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Susten 200
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Ketaconazole (inhibits metabolism of Susten200) (moderate)
- Phenytoin (mild)
- Rifampin (mild)
- Carbamazepine (moderate)
- Estradiol (mild)
- Insulin (mild)
- Phenobarbital (mild)
- Venetociax (moderate)
- Edoxaban (mild)
3. Effects of Susten 200 on Lab Tests
Susten 200 can affect the blood glucose levels
4. Susten 200’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any allergy, liver or heart impairment.
Q. Can I have Susten 200 with alcohol?
No, Susten 200 is already known to have effects on liver enzymes and consuming alcohol with the drug may worsen the condition Always consult with the doctor before consuming alcohol while taking this drug.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No particular food item is to be avoided.
Q. Can I have Susten 200 when pregnant?
No, the safety of Susten 200 has not been established in pregnant women. It is advisable to consult the doctor and inform him about your pregnancy or plans of conceiving for any case-specific recommendations
Q. Can I have Susten 200 when feeding a baby?
No, it is not advisable to consume Susten200 if you are lactating as it is known to be secreted in human milk and may affect the infant. Always consult the doctor before consuming the drug
Q. Can I drive after taking Susten 200?
No, it is known to cause drowsiness or dizziness in some cases. Therefore, one should avoid driving if any of the symptoms persists.
10Buyer’s Guide – Susten 200 Composition, Variant and Price
|Susten 200 Variants||Susten 200 Composition||Susten 200 Price (Rs.)|
|Susten 200mg injection||Progesterone 100mg/ml||Rs. 221 for 1 pack|
|Susten 100mg Injection||Progesterone 100mg/ml||Rs. 113 for 1 pack|
|Susten 300 capsules||Progesterone 300mg||Rs. 419 for 10 capsules|
|Susten 8% gel||Progesterone 8%||Rs. 112 for 1 pack|
|Susten VT 100mg tablet||Progesterone 100mg||Rs. 151 for 1 pack|
11Substitutes of Susten 200
The following are alternative drugs for Susten 200:
- 9FB SR 200mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by Indoco Remedies Ltd
- Price- Rs.315
- Algest SR 200mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- Price- Rs.263
- Algestrone 200mg Capsule:
- Manufactured by Alred Healthcare
- Price- Rs.319.5
- Carygest SR 200mg Tablet:
- Manufactured by Biogyn Pharma
- Price- Rs.295
Also Read: Sinarest Price | Soframycin Price | Sompraz 40 Price
Storage requirements for Susten 200
- The drug should be stored at a temperature below 25o C at a cool place.
- It should be kept out of children’s reach.
12FAQs – 12 Important Questions Answered about Susten 200
Q. What is Susten 200?
Ans. Susten 200 is basically a synthetically derived drug which contains Progesterone as its main active ingredient. Susten is used mainly to prevent and treat conditions like endometrial hyperplasia, secondary amenorrhea and hormone replacement therapy.
Q. What are the uses of Susten 200?
Ans. Susten is used mainly to prevent and treat conditions like endometrial hyperplasia, secondary amenorrhea and hormone replacement therapy.
Q. What are the side effects of Susten 200?
Ans. The most common side effects of Susten 200 are Blurred vision, Pruritis, Alopecia (Hair loss), Congenital heart disease, Hypertension, Tachycardia
Q. How effective is Susten 200?
Ans. The effects/results of Susten200 vary with the condition being treated. The patient starts to notice the symptoms getting disappeared after taking Susten 200 but it depends on the condition
Q. Should Susten 200 be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. No, Susten 200 should not be taken empty stomach to prevent any gastric distress.
Q. Does Susten 200 make you drowsy?
Ans. Yes, Susten 200 may cause drowsiness but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Susten 200 doses?
Ans. Ideal time gap of 8-10 hours should be there between two doses.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Susten 200 should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken. And the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Susten 200.
Q. Does Susten 200 effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. Yes, it does affect the menstrual cycle and one should always consult the doctor in case of pre existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Susten 200 safe for children?
Ans. No, Susten 200 should not be administered in children as it is not safe for children.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Susten 200?
Ans. Any liver impairment, heart diseases or abnormal genital bleeding is to be taken into consideration before taking Susten 200.
Q. Is Susten 200 legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India
Similar Reads –
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.
13Authored By –