Table of Contents
- 1 What is Synthyroid?
- 2 Uses of Synthyroid
- 3 How does Synthyroid work?
- 4 How to Take Synthyroid?
- 5 Synthyroid Price In India
- 6 Common Dosage for Synthyroid?
- 7 When to Avoid Synthyroid?
- 8 Side effects of Synthyroid?
- 9 What effects does Synthyroid have on organs?
- 10 Reported Allergic Reactions?
- 11 Drug Interactions to Be Careful About?
- 12 Shows Effects / Results In
- 13 FAQs
- 14 Is Synthyroid Addictive?
- 15 Can I have Synthyroid with alcohol?
- 16 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 17 Can I have Synthyroid When Pregnant?
- 18 Can I have Synthyroid when feeding a baby?
- 19 Can I drive after taking Synthyroid?
- 20 What happens if I overdose on Synthyroid?
- 21 What happens if I take expired Synthyroid?
- 22 What happens if I miss a dose of Synthyroid?
- 23 Storage Requirements for Synthyroid
- 24 Pro Tips When Taking Synthyroid
What is Synthyroid?
Synthyroid contains Levothyroxine as its chief ingredient. Levothyroxine is comparable to natural thyroid hormones produced in the human thyroid gland.
Uses of Synthyroid
Synthyroid is used as a replacement or supplemental therapy in congenital or acquired hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid).
Other medicine's Uses: Pravastatins Uses | Prilosec Uses | Remicade Uses
How does Synthyroid work?
- Synthyroid contains Levothyroxine which is basically a synthetic thyroid hormone.
- Thyroid hormones control numerous metabolic processes in the body and play a vital role in growth and development, and normal maturation of bone and central nervous system.
How to Take Synthyroid?
- The dosage and duration of Synthyroid should be taken as advised by the doctor.
- The dosage is based on your age, medical condition, and response to therapy.
- Synthyroid comes in the form of tablets to be taken by mouth.
- Synthyroid should be taken in the morning on an empty stomach, at least one-half hour before eating any food. No food item should be taken 1 hour before and 2 hours after taking this medicine.
- Wait for minimum 4 hours before taking any antacids, multivitamin/calcium/iron supplements.
- It is very important that you take the tablet with a full glass of water
- Synthyroid should be used only as prescribed by your physician.
- Never change the drug regimen without consulting your physician.
Synthyroid Price In India
|50mg Strip of 4 Tablets||Rs 79.00|
|100mg Strip of 4 Tablets||Rs 99.00|
Also read about other medicine Price: Ventolin Price
Common Dosage for Synthyroid?
- The dosage of Synthyroid is usually based on the patient’s age, body weight, cardiovascular status, concomitant medical conditions, including pregnancy, concomitant medications, and the specific nature of the condition being treated.
- The recommended starting dose for adults is 50 – 100 mcg/day which may be increased up to 100-200 micrograms daily.
When to Avoid Synthyroid?
- Synthyroid should not be used in patients with a history of allergy to any of the inactive ingredients in Synthyroid tablets.
- Synthyroid should not be used in patients with untreated subclinical or overt thyrotoxicosis of any cause
- Synthyroid should not be used in patients with acute myocardial infarction.
- Synthyroid should not be used in patients with uncorrected adrenal insufficiency
- Synthyroid should not be used in the treatment of male or female infertility unless this condition is associated with hypothyroidism.
- Exercise caution when administering Synthyroid to patients with heart diseases and to the elderly in whom there is an increased risk of undiagnosed heart disease.
- Synthyroid should not be used in patients suffering from diabetes and clotting disorders.
Side effects of Synthyroid?
Side-effects associated with Synthyroid therapy include the following:
- Lethargy, weakness, bigger appetite, loss of weight, difficulty in tolerating heat, fever, profuse sweating
- Headache, hyperactivity, nervousness, anxiety, irritability, emotional liability, sleeplessness;
- Musculoskeletal: tremors, muscle weakness;
- Heart-related – Palpitations, increased heartbeat, altered rhythm, increased pulse, and blood pressure, heart failure, chest pain, myocardial infarction, cardiac arrest;
- Pulmonary: difficulty in breathing
- Diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal cramps;
- Hair loss, flushing of the skin
- Reproductive: menstrual irregularities, impaired fertility.
- Overtreatment may result in compromised adult height in children.
- Seizures have been reported rarely.
In such cases, seek medical attention immediately.
Also Read: Singulair Side Effect | Suboxone Side Effect
What effects does Synthyroid have on organs?
- There is limited information available on the use of Synthyroid tablet in patients suffering from liver/kidney disease.
- Kindly consult your physician for case-specific recommendations.
Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Report to your doctor if you are allergic to any of its ingredients
- Allergic reactions to inactive ingredients have occurred in patients treated with thyroid hormone products. These include itching, skin rash, flushing, swelling, various GI symptoms (abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea), fever, pain in joints and wheezing.
- Hypersensitivity to levothyroxine itself is not known to occur.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About?
All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Synthyroid may interact with the following drugs and products:
- carbamazepine, phenytoin, primidone, and barbiturates
- medicines containing calcium salts
- proton pump inhibitors such as omeprazole, lansoprazole, and pantoprazole
- cholestyramine and colestipol
- polystyrene sulphone resin
- medicines containing iron that are taken by mouth
- beta blockers such as atenolol and sotalol
- oestrogen-containing medicines
- androgen containing medicines for male hormone replacement therapy
- The following may be affected by Synthyroid:
- anticoagulant medicines such as warfarin
- medicines to treat diabetes
- tricyclic antidepressants such as amitriptyline, imipramine, and dosulepin
- adrenaline or phenylephrine
- phenylbutazone or aspirin
- ketamine – used as an anaesthetic.
Shows Effects / Results In
- It may take several weeks before you notice an improvement in your symptoms while taking Synthyroid
- Do not stop taking the drug without consulting your doctor.
Is Synthyroid Addictive?
No. However self-medication should be avoided.
Can I have Synthyroid with alcohol?
Consumption of alcohol should be avoided while taking Synthyroid.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
The following food products should be avoided while taking Synthyroid-
- Soybean flour (infant formula),
- cottonseed meal,
- and dietary fibre
Can I have Synthyroid When Pregnant?
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant for case-specific recommendations.
- The possibility of fetal harm appears remote in women taking Synthyroid during pregnancy.
Can I have Synthyroid when feeding a baby?
- Inform your doctor if you are breastfeeding your child and use the medicine as advised
- Caution should be exercised when Synthyroid is administered to a nursing woman.
Can I drive after taking Synthyroid?
Synthyroid generally doesn’t affect your ability to drive.
What happens if I overdose on Synthyroid?
- Immediately inform your doctor if you happen to over-dose on Synthyroid.
- Signs of an overdose may include fever, chest pain (angina), racing or irregular heartbeat, muscle cramps, headache, restlessness, flushing, sweating, and diarrhoea.
- These signs can take up to 5 days to appear.
What happens if I take expired Synthyroid?
- Taking a single dose may not cause any major adverse effect
- The potency of the medicine may get reduced
- Please inform your physician if an expired medicine has been taken for a long duration
- To be on the safer side, always check and never use an expired drug
What happens if I miss a dose of Synthyroid?
- To be effective a certain amount of drug must be in your body at all times
- Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember it
- If it’s already time to take the second dose – do not take a double dose
Storage Requirements for Synthyroid
- Keep your tablets in the blisters until it is time to take them. If you take the tablets out of the blisters they may not keep well.
- Keep Synthyroid tablets in a cool dry place away from light where the temperature stays below 25C.
Pro Tips When Taking Synthyroid
- Inform your doctor before changing the brand of Synthyroid as all brands may not have the same effect
- You must get your thyroid hormone and TSH levels monitored on a regular basis.
- This is generally a lifelong medication. Do not stop taking the drug without a doctor’s consent.