Table of Contents
- 1 What is Tamsulosin?
- 2 Uses of Tamsulosin
- 3 How Does Tamsulosin Work?
- 4 Tamsulosin Price in India
- 5 How to Take Tamsulosin?
- 6 Common Dosage for Tamsulosin
- 7 Precautions – When to Avoid Tamsulosin?
- 8 Side-Effects of Tamsulosin
- 9 Effects of Tamsulosin on Organs
- 10 Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- 11 Effects/Results after Consuming Tamsulosin
- 12 Storage Requirements about Tamsulosin
- 13 Pro Tips When Taking Tamsulosin
- 14 FAQs – Things to Know About Tamsulosin
- 15 Is Tamsulosin addictive?
- 16 Can I have Tamsulosin with alcohol?
- 17 Any particular food item to be avoided?
- 18 Can I have Tamsulosin when pregnant?
- 19 Can I have Tamsulosin when feeding a baby?
- 20 Can I drive after taking Tamsulosin?
- 21 What happens if I overdose on Tamsulosin?
- 22 What happens if I eat expired Tamsulosin?
- 23 What happens if I miss a dose of Tamsulosin?
- 24 When Was Tamsulosin Made?
What is Tamsulosin?
Tamsulosin is sold under the brand name Alna and Flomax. It belongs to a class of alpha blockers. Tamsulosin is the medicine prescribed for treating benign prostatic hyperplasia and chronic prostatitis.
Buy & Get Minimum 30% Discount: Netmeds Voucher Code | Pharmeasy Coupon Code
Uses of Tamsulosin
- Tamsulosin helps with the passage of kidney stones through urine.
- It is especially used by males to treat enlarged prostate symptoms.
- Tamsulosin makes the bladder empty by passing the urine easily without any irritation.
How Does Tamsulosin Work?
Tamsulosin relieves the muscles in the prostate gland by blocking the alpha receptors entering them. This results in relaxing the pressure on urethra which makes the urine to pass easily and makes the bladder empty.
Tamsulosin Price in India
|Tamsulosin (Volume of 30)||Rs 189.70|
Also Read: Trazodone Price | Vancomycin Price
How to Take Tamsulosin?
- Tamsulosin should be taken 30 minutes after the meal.
- This drug is usually taken once a day.
- Take Tamsulosin at the same time every day as much as possible.
- Swallow the drug wholly. Do not crush, break or chew the tablet.
Common Dosage for Tamsulosin
- In Benign prostatic hyperplasia, the dosage is between 0.4 and 0.8 mg per day.
- After the initial dose of 0.4 mg for once a day, the dosage will be increased after 2 to 3 weeks to up to 0.8 mg for once a day according to the results.
Also Read: Potassium Chloride Dosage | Pradaxa Dosage
Precautions – When to Avoid Tamsulosin?
While taking Tamsulosin you should follow the following steps:
- Don’t delay or miss a scheduled meal or snack
- Don’t exercise more than usual
- Don’t take Tamsulosin along with other certain medications.
- Avoid the drug if you feel nausea and vomiting
- Get up slowly while sitting and lying to avoid feeling dizzy.
Side-Effects of Tamsulosin
Some common side effects of Tamsulosin are:
- Postural hypotension (low blood pressure)
- Painful and prolonged erection lasts long for more than 4 hours
- Back pain
- Chest pain
- Vision problems
- Semen released will be reduced
Effects of Tamsulosin on Organs
High dosage of Tamsulosin may damage reproductive system sometimes with the symptoms of unusual ejaculation and a reduced amount of semen release.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
The effect of Tamsulosin is removed by the interaction with drugs such as azole antifungals and HIV protease inhibitors. If you are taking this drug with medications for erectile dysfunction or high blood pressure then it will lead to fainting, dizziness, etc.,
Effects/Results after Consuming Tamsulosin
Tamsulosin will show its effect within 2 hours and will last for up to 9 to 13 hours due to controlled absorption rate.
Storage Requirements about Tamsulosin
Tamsulosin can be stored in a closed container at room temperature away from heat, moisture, and direct light and also keep it from freezing.
Pro Tips When Taking Tamsulosin
- Tamsulosin should not be increased in dosage without the doctor’s prescription.
- Take the dosage as recommended by your doctor.
- Taking Tamsulosin will make you feel dizzy for some time, so be careful while you stand from a sitting and lying position.
FAQs – Things to Know About Tamsulosin
Is Tamsulosin addictive?
Can I have Tamsulosin with alcohol?
No. Having Tamsulosin with alcohol will increase your dizziness.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Avoid grapefruit juice as it may increase the side effects of Tamsulosin.
Can I have Tamsulosin when pregnant?
Tamsulosin is safe to take while pregnant. Although you can consult your doctor.
Can I have Tamsulosin when feeding a baby?
Taking Tamsulosin while breastfeeding is not safe as it may cause harmful effects on the baby.
Can I drive after taking Tamsulosin?
No, you may feel dizzy after taking Tamsulosin.
What happens if I overdose on Tamsulosin?
It would cause fainting, dizziness and troubled breathing.
What happens if I eat expired Tamsulosin?
It will not be effective in making the bladder empty and sometimes it may lead to adverse effects.
What happens if I miss a dose of Tamsulosin?
If you miss a dose of Tamsulosin take it as soon as you remember it within the next 12 hours. If you don’t, then just go back to your regular dosage.
When Was Tamsulosin Made?
Tamsulosin was made in the year 1996 by Yamanouchi pharmaceuticals.
Also read about other medicine's: Risperidone