Table of Contents
- What is Taxim O Syrup?
- Uses of Taxim O Syrup
- How does Taxim O Syrup work?
- How to take Taxim O Syrup?
- Taxim O Syrup Common Dosage
- When to Avoid Taxim O Syrup?
- Precautions While Taking Taxim O Syrup:
- Side-Effects of Taxim O Syrup:
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide – Taxim O Syrup Composition, Variant and Price
- Substitutes of Taxim O Syrup
- FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Taxim O Syrup
- Authored By –
1What is Taxim O Syrup?
Taxim O Syrup is mainly used to treat different kind of infections like upper respiratory tract infection, tonsillitis and bronchitis. Abdominal pain and loose stools are most commonly seen side effects at high repetitive doses. It should be totally avoided in case of allergy and liver or kidney diseases.
Taxim O Syrup Composition: Cefixime (100mg/5ml) in 50ml bottle.
Manufactured By: Alkem Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Prescription: Required as it comes under schedule ‘H’
Price: Rs 44.02 for 30ml bottle.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Antibiotic
2Uses of Taxim O Syrup
Taxim O Syrup serves a great purpose in the prevention or treatment of following conditions:
- URTI: Used to treat Upper respiratory tract infections (URTI)
- Otitis Media: Used to treat Otitis Media
- Bronchitis: Used to manage Bronchitis
- Cystourethritis: Used to manage Cystourethritis
- Pyelonephritis: Used to treat Uncomplicated pyelonephritis
- Pharyngitis: Used to treat and manage pharyngitis.
- Tonsillitis: Used to Tonsillitis
- Chronic Bronchitis: Used to treat acute exacerbation of chronic bronchitis
3How does Taxim O Syrup work?
- Taxim O Syrup contains Cefixime as its active ingredient.
- Cefixime is a cephalosporin and works by inhibiting the cell wall synthesis of bacterial cells.
- Inhibition of cell wall makes the bacterial cells susceptible to the antibiotic and eventually leads to their destruction.
- Cefixime is stable in the presence of Beta lactamase enzymes (produced by bacterial cells as defence mechanism). Hence, it is preferred over other antibiotic in cases where the treatment with other antibiotics have failed
4How to take Taxim O Syrup?
- Taxim O Syrup is present in the form of dry syrup and suspension.
- Taxim O Syrup is taken via mouth preferably with or after food as it prevents any potential gastric irritation caused by the drug when taken empty stomach.
- To make the dry syrup, the bottle should be shaken up well to loosen dry powder, and slowly sterile water provided with the pack should be added up to the mark on the bottle and shaken up well.
- After reconstitution, the suspension should be kept in the fridge when not in use.
- Before consumption, the bottle should be shaken up well and a measuring cup should be used.
- Taxim O Syrup should be taken with an equal time interval between two doses.
- It is advisable to go through the pack insert properly before consuming the drug to have a better understanding of the drug.
5Taxim O Syrup Common Dosage
- Taxim O Syrup dosage can be decided by the doctor for every individual as per Age, Weight, Mental status, Allergic history and Health status of the patient.
- The common Adult dose of Taxim O Syrup is 200mg twice 12 hourly or 400mg once daily for 5-7 days depending on the condition or as stated by the physician.
- Common Paediatric dose of Taxim O Syrup is 8mg/kg/day of suspension in two divided doses every 12 hours or as decided by the paediatrician for specific cases.
- Dose alteration should be avoided without proper medical consultation.
- Paediatrician should be consulted when administering paediatric dose.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Taxim O Syrup?
Overdose of Taxim O Syrup can cause serious undesirable effects and can lead to complications in some cases.
Gastric lavage is performed in cases of overdose, by the doctor or trained medical staff.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Taxim O Syrup?
The dose prescribed by the doctor should never be missed and if missed, it should be consumed always as soon as you remember it. But, avoid taking a double dose if it’s already time for the second dose after that as it may lead to an overdose of the drug
Q. What happens if I eat expired Taxim O Syrup?
Expired Taxim O Syrup might not exhibit effects or any undesirable effects. However, one should abstain from consuming the expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Taxim O Syrup?
The effect of Taxim O Syrup can be seen within the first 1-3 days of starting the therapy.
Q. Till when does the effect of Taxim O Syrup stay?
Although, the time taken by the drug to show its effect may vary with every individual patient.
Also Read: Thyronorm Dosage | Tinidazole Dosage | Thiocolchicoside Dosage
6When to Avoid Taxim O Syrup?
Do not Consume Taxim O Syrup if:
- Allergy: In cases of known allergy to Cefixime or any other drug that belongs to the cephalosporin class or penicillin or other antibiotics.
- Renal impairment: In cases of patients with renal impairment undergoing continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis and patient should be monitored continuously and dose alteration may be required in such cases.
- Anticoagulant therapy: In cases of patients on anticoagulant therapy or any previous history of such therapy, Prothrombin time should be monitored at regular interval.
- Liver disease: In cases of patients with liver disease.
- Colitis: In cases of patients with colitis as this drug is known to cause Pseudomembranous colitis in some cases.
7 Precautions While Taking Taxim O Syrup:
- Dose alteration: Dose alteration may be required by the physician in patients with kidney or liver impairments.
- Allergy: Taxim O Syrup should be used with extra caution in patients with hypersensitivity or allergic history with antibiotics.
Warnings When Taking Taxim O Syrup
- There should be the equally spaced time interval between two doses.
- Always consume the tablet with or after meals for better absorption.
- The drug must be used with caution in patients on anticoagulants or liver and renal impairment.
8Side-Effects of Taxim O Syrup:
The side effects associated with Taxim O Syrup are:
- Nausea (common)
- Diarrhoea (common)
- Headache (less common)
- Dizziness (common)
- Seizures (less common)
- Genital pruritis (less common)
- Vaginitis (less common)
- Candidiasis (less common)
- Loose or frequent stools (common)
- Abdominal pain (common)
- Flatulence (less common)
- Dyspepsia (less common)
- Pseudomembranous colitis (less common)
- Skin rashes (common)
- Urticaria (less common)
- Pruritis (common)
- Fever (less common)
- Angioedema (less common)
- Facial edema (less common)
- Erythema Multiforme (less common)
- Steven Johnson syndrome (less common)
- Transient elevation in liver enzymes like SGPT, SGOT and hepatitis and jaundice (less common)
- Acute renal failure (less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Taxim O Syrup?
- Taxim O Syrup is known to cause an allergic reaction with symptoms like rashes, breathing difficulty, swelling of face, lip and throat.
- In case of any such signs, immediate medical help should be taken.
What are the effects of Taxim O Syrup on organs?
Taxim O Syrup should be used with caution in patients with liver impairment as it can affect the liver.
9Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of a certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Taxim O Syrup. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Taxim O Syrup. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Taxim O Syrup
No particular food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Taxim O Syrup
Medicines: All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Alcohol (it may cause liver damage) (mild)
- Carbamazepine (increases the level of carbamazepine when given with Taxim O Syrup). (mild)
- Anticoagulants like warfarin leads to increased prothrombin time. (mild)
- Cholera Vaccine (mild)
- Contraceptive pills (mild)
- Amikacin (moderate)
- Cyclosporine (mild)
- Nifedipine (moderate)
- Probenecid (mild)
3. Effects of Taxim O Syrup on Lab Tests
Taxim O Syrup causes a transient elevation in liver enzymes like SGPT, SGOT.
4. Taxim O Syrup interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any Liver or kidney diseases.
Q. Can I have Taxim O Syrup with alcohol?
No, as consuming alcohol with Taxim O Syrup may cause liver damage. The doctor should always be consulted before taking alcohol with Taxim O Syrup.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No particular food item is to be avoided.
Q. Can I have Taxim O Syrup when pregnant?
No adverse events have been reported with Taxim O Syrup in animal studies but still, inform the doctor before taking Taxim O Syrup in cases of pregnancy or if you’re planning to conceive.
Q. Can I have Taxim O Syrup when feeding a baby?
Lactating mothers should use it only when necessary because it is excreted in human milk.
Therefore, the drug should be used with caution and the doctor should always be informed
Q. Can I drive after taking Taxim O Syrup?
Taxim O Syrup has no affect on the ability to drive but one should avoid driving or operating heavy machinery if drowsiness or dizziness occurs.
Also Read: Taxim-O-Tablet Side Effect | Telma 40 Side Effect | Tenebite Side Effect
10Buyer’s Guide – Taxim O Syrup Composition, Variant and Price
|Taxim O Syrup Variants||Taxim O Syrup Composition||Taxim O Syrup Price (Rs.)|
|Taxim O Forte 30ml Syrup||Cefixime 100mg/5ml||Rs. 67.62 for 1 pack|
|Taxim O Dry 50ml Suspension||Cefixime 50mg/5ml||Rs. 75.88 for 1 pack|
|Taxim O DT 100mg Tablet||Cefixime 100mg||Rs. 91 for 10 tablets|
|Taxim OF tablet||Cefixime 200mg + Ofloxacin 200mg||Rs. 125 for 10 tablets|
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Myra Medicines | Netmeds
11Substitutes of Taxim O Syrup
The following are alternative drugs for Taxim O Syrup:
- Omnix 100mg Syrup:
- Manufactured by Cipla
- Price- Rs.67.64
- Ziprax 100 Dry 30ml Syrup:
- Manufactured by Cipla
- Price- Rs.67.64
- Zifi Dry 100mg 50ml Syrup:
- Manufactured by FDC Ltd
- Price-s. 112.6
Storage requirements for Taxim O Syrup
- Store the drug protected from light, moisture and direct heat at cool and dry place.
- Do not freeze the medication.
- Keep at a place where it is out of reach of children
12FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Taxim O Syrup
Q. What is Taxim O Syrup?
Ans. Taxim O Syrup is a synthetically derived form of antibiotic which belongs to the class of cephalosporin. Taxim O Syrup contains cefixime as its main active ingredient.
It is being used in cases of infections known to be caused by bacteria and is more effective against most of the other class of antibiotics as cefixime works well even in presence of beta lactamase enzyme secreted by bacterial cells as a self defence mechanism.
Q. What are the uses of Taxim O Syrup?
Ans. Taxim O Syrup works for URTI, Otitis Media, Bronchitis, Cystourethritis, Tonsillitis
Q. What are the side effects of Taxim O Syrup?
Ans. The most common side effects of Taxim O Syrup are Nausea, Diarrhoea, Headache, Dizziness, Seizures, Genital pruritis, Vaginitis, Candidiasis
Q. How long does it take for Taxim O Syrup to show results?
Ans. The effect of Taxim O Syrup can be seen within first 1-3 days of starting the therapy.
Q. Should Taxim O Syrup be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Taxim O Syrup should not be taken empty stomach to prevent any potential stomach upset and to have better absorption, it should be taken with or after food.
Q. Does Taxim O Syrup make you drowsy?
Ans. Yes, Taxim O Syrup may cause drowsiness/ sleepiness in few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Taxim O Syrup doses?
Ans. Ideal time gap of 4-6 hours should be there between two doses.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Taxim O Syrup should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken.
And the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Taxim O Syrup.
Q. Does Taxim O Syrup effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle but one should always consult the doctor in case of pre existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Taxim O Syrup safe for children?
Ans. Taxim O Syrup is safe to be administered in children but proper consultation and recommendation by the Paediatrician should be taken.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Taxim O Syrup?
Ans. Any liver disorder or allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Taxim O Syrup.
Q. Is Taxim O Syrup legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Similar Reads –
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.