What is Tetracycline?
Tetracycline tablet is an antibacterial medicine. It is used for prevention and treatment of many types of bacterial infections.
Manufactured By – Wings Booitech Ltd.
Other variants and composition –
|Tetracycline Eye 5Gm Ointment||Tetracycline 1 %|
|Tetracyline 250Mg Capsule||Tetracycline 250 MG|
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Netmeds Offers Today | Pharmeasy Discount Code
Uses of Tetracycline
Tetracycline is used as antibacterial in a variety of conditions like:
- Infections of the respiratory tract
- Infections of the urinary tract
- Infections of the skin;
- Certain sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)
Also Read: Sodium Thiosulphate Uses | Sodium Valproate Uses | Sulfasalazine Uses
How Does Tetracycline Work?
Tetracycline mainly acts by stopping the bacterial growth in your body. Bacteria produce certain proteins to carry out its vital functions and growth. Tetracycline stops the protein synthesis mechanism in bacteria.
How to Take Tetracycline?
Tetracycline tablet must be swallowed as a whole with a glass of water. You must not chew, crush or break the tablet while taking it. You must consume Tetracycline on an empty stomach preferably two hours before or after meals.
Tetracycline Price In India
|250mg Strip of Capsules||Rs 7.94|
|Tetracycline HCL: Strip of Capsules||Rs 299.20|
|500mg Strip of Capsules||Rs 8.56|
Common Dosage for Tetracycline?
Tetracycline is generally prescribed two to four times daily for 1 to 2 weeks. Your doctor may alter your dosage and its frequency depending upon the severity of your condition.
Also Read: Trimethoprim Dosage
When to Avoid Tetracycline?
Avoid Tetracycline if:
- You have kidney or liver disease
- You are allergic to tetracycline
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding
Side-Effects of Tetracycline
Some of the common side effects of Tetracycline are:
- Mouth sores
- Loss of appetite
- Sore throat
- Rectal discomfort
- Discoloration of teeth
Effects of Tetracycline on Organs?
Tetracycline tablet is not safe for the patients with kidney and liver disease. Your doctor may adjust your dose as per your requirement.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Some of the common allergic reactions reported with Tetracycline are:
- difficulty breathing, and
- swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
Some of the drug interactions that one needs to be careful about when consuming Tetracycline are:
- Antacids or laxatives
- Retinoids like acitretin and isotretinoin
- Kaolin pectin
- Vitamin or mineral supplement containing iron, zinc, calcium, or magnesium
Effects/Results After Consuming Tetracycline
Tetracycline starts its action within 1 hour of administration and it has an average duration of action of about 6 to 10 hours. Your infection will stop spreading and will resolve after taking this tablet.
Is Tetracycline addictive?
No habit forming tendency has been reported with Tetracycline.
Can I have Tetracycline with alcohol?
It is better to avoid alcohol when on Tetracycline. Consult your doctor about limiting alcohol with this medication.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Food items like dairy products, juice containing calcium, iron, and zinc-containing food prevent full absorption of Tetracycline. Hence, it is wise to avoid these food items while taking this medication.
Can I have Tetracycline when pregnant?
In most cases, it is not safe to take Tetracycline if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication.
Can I have Tetracycline when feeding a baby?
Tetracycline is known to pass in mother’s milk to the baby. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication while you are breastfeeding.
Can I drive after taking Tetracycline?
It is generally safe to drive while taking Tetracycline. However, if you experience drowsiness, dizziness, a headache or any side effect that alters your consciousness then it may not be safe to drive.
What happens if I overdose on Tetracycline?
An overdose of Tetracycline will not improve your symptoms. It may even cause serious side-effects like stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Consult your doctor immediately in case of overdose.
What happens if I eat expired Tetracycline?
If by mistake you consume a dose of expired Tetracycline tablet, the chances of harm are very less. It is advised to check the label for expiry date always before use.
What happens if I miss a dose of Tetracycline?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. Carry out with your regular schedule if it is already time for the next dose. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
Storage Requirements of Tetracycline
- Always store Tetracycline at a temperature of around 25 to 30 degree Celsius
- Storing in moisture-prone places like bathroom may damage the tablet
- Keep Tetracycline away from direct heat and sunlight
- Store it where your children and pets can’t reach
Pro Tips When Taking Tetracycline
- It is not recommended to take just before bedtime and you must not lie down for at least 10 minutes after taking Tetracycline.
- Consume this medicine 1 hour before a meal or 2 hours after a meal to obtain maximum benefit.
- If you are having stomach upset while taking Tetracycline on empty stomach, consult your health care provider.
- Maintain a minimum gap of 2 hours between consumption of antacids and this medication.
- You should immediately discontinue Tetracycline if you have any symptom of Hepatitis like appetite loss, jaundice, dark urine, and stomach tenderness.
- Do not try to self-adjust the dose. Take it in the quantity prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not share your medication with anyone even if they have a similar condition.
- Discuss the pros and cons of Tetracycline if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy or if you are breastfeeding.
Also read about other medicine's: