What is Ashwagandha?
Ashwagandha is a plant of the Solanaceae or nightshade family. It has been used extensively in India for centuries and has often been dubbed as the “Queen of Ayurveda”.
Ashwagandha is also known as:
- Withania Somnifera
- Indian Ginseng
- Winter Cherry
- Poison Gooseberry (it’s not actually poisonous)
Watch this short video to know all the benefits of Ashwagandha at a glance.
Properties of Ashwagandha
- Potentially neuroprotective
- Rich source of iron
- Contains amino acids
- Has fatty acids
Benefits of Ashwagandha
Skip to Content
- Combats Anxiety and Stress
- Enhances Brain Function
- Helps In Weight Loss
- Fights Infection
- Reduces Chances Of Cancer
- May Prevent Brain Diseases
- Promotes A Healthy Heart
- Treats Diabetes
- Relieves Pain
- Improves Fertility
- Promotes Bone Health
- Makes Your Liver Healthy
- Ashwagandha and Skin
- Ashwagandha and Hair
- Where To Buy?
- Popular Brands That Sell Ashwagandha Products
- Other Blogs You May Also Like
Combats Anxiety and Stress
Ashwagandha may be useful in reducing anxiety and stress in humans. High concentration of root extracts improve resistance towards stress and hence, improve quality of life.
Enhances Brain Function
Ashwagandha is a “Rasayana” or elixir that improves mental and intellectual capacity. It may also be effective in improving memory and cognitive functioning.
Helps In Weight Loss
Ashwagandha may help you lose weight. It kills fat cells by reducing their synthesis. Ashwagandha root extract can be used effectively for body weight management.
Ashwagandha has anti-fungal and anti-viral properties. These make it effective in treating infections and other diseases that are caused by viruses etc.
Reduces Chances Of Cancer
Ashwagandha may also help reduce the risk of cancer. It can also improve the quality of life for those undergoing treatment for cancer. For example, it has shown to increase the white blood cell count in patients undergoing chemo therapy.
May Prevent Brain Diseases
Ashwagandha may improve neuronal dysfunction in Alzheimer’s disease. It may also reverse cognitive defects caused by various diseases.
Promotes A Healthy Heart
Ashwagandha may have the following beneficial effects on your heart health:
- Reduce blood pressure
- Reduce cholesterol
- Decreases Triglycerides
- Reduces stress related hypertension
Some studies have shown that Ashwagandha reduces blood sugar and favorably alters urine glucose levels. It also prevents excess levels of insulin and improves glucose tolerance. Anti-oxidants in Ashwagandha also help reduce free radicals in your body.
Ashwagandha has also shown to relieve pain and sooth the nervous system from pain. Some studies suggest that Ashwagandha might also reduce fever.
Ashwagandha can improve fertility by promoting relaxation and reducing stress. It also increases the levels of Testosterone which has a direct benefit in improving fertility. Ashwagandha root extract was shown to be effective in increasing sexual competence in one study.
Promotes Bone Health
Ashwagandha improves your body’s ability to retain calcium and stimulates bone formation. It may also be effective in preserving bone loss in mice. Furthermore, by strengthening bones, Ashwagandha also reduces joint pain and related diseases like arthritis.
Makes Your Liver Healthy
Using Ashwagandha supplements can increase the bile acid content in your liver. It can also decrease the circulating liver enzymes and bring them back to normal level. All of these make your liver healthy.
Ashwagandha and Skin
- You can boil Ashwagandha leaves and use it to cure wounds, acne and other skin ailments
- Keratosis is a condition where non-cancerous keratin growth on skin can make your skin rough and dry. Ashwagandha can be used to treat this condition
- Ashwagandha also stimulates the production of collagen. This triggers the production of natural skin oils and makes your skin more beautiful and supple.
- Women can also use Ashwagandha as a skin toner.
- Ashwagandha also soothes skin inflammation.
Ashwagandha and Hair
- Ashwagandha improves blood circulation in your scalp which stimulates hair growth
- Stress is a big reason for hair fall. Ashwagandha reduces hair fall by mitigating stress.
- Anti-inflammatory properties of Ashwagandha help remove dandruff
- Some shampoos have Ashwagandha in it that help stimulate your follicles. This stimulates hair growth
- Ashwagandha boosts production of hair melanin. Melanin is a pigment that givers your hair its natural color. This prevents premature greying of hair
Similar blogs you may also read: Ashwagandha Tablets Benefits | Ashwagandha Churna
How To Use Ashwagandha?
Ashwagandha has many uses and benefits. However, consuming it can be a little troublesome. In its raw form, Ashwagandha has a bitter taste. Hence, you must find ways to make it easier to consume. Lucky for you, we have some solutions.
The most popular way to consume it is in its powdered form. However, due to its bitter taste, you must prepare it first to improve the taste.
The most popular and oldest way to do so is to mix it with warm milk, honey and ghee. You can also mix it with water and honey.
Ashwagandha Nutritional Value
|Nutrient||Amount per Serving(120)||%Daily Value|
|Withania Somnifera (Organic Ashwagandha Root)||500mg||Nil|
- Powder (leaf): 1-2 teaspoon
- Root: 1-2 teaspoon
- Capsule: 1-6 grams
- Tea: 3 cups (1-6 grams)
Are There Any Side Effects Of Ashwagandha?
Ashwagandha is perfectly safe when used in appropriate dosages. However, overconsumption of Ashwagandha ca n cause some side effects. Have a look:
- May cause allergies
- Can cause bleeding (Avoid when going or recovering from a surgery)
- Might lower blood sugar (Avoid if on diabetic medication)
- Might cause drowsiness (When taken with sedative medication)
- Dry mouth
- Harmful during pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Can worsen Hyperthyroidism
Buyers Guide: Ashwagandha
Now that you know all about Ashwagandha, you probably want to buy it. But where from? And which is the best brand that sells it? Read on to find out.
You can find Ashwagandha in the following forms in the market:
- Powdered form
- Liquid extract
- Beauty and healthcare products
Where To Buy?
You can buy Ashwagandha tea on Amazon India. It has a limited collection, but there are great discounts you can avail.
Popular Brands That Sell Ashwagandha Products
- Zenith Nutrition
- Nature’s Way
- Absorb Health
- Organic India
- Ayurvedic Life
- Basic Ayurveda
Pro Tip: Buy via CashKaro to enjoy great discounts and earn awesome Cashback!
Other Blogs You May Also Like
👋CashKaro Exclusive Offer👋
Hungry for more Cashback 💸? Download CashKaro App to get a Rs 60 bonus Cashback + Save up to Rs 15,000/month on online shopping.