Skip to Content
- Symptoms Of Dandruff
- Causes Of Dandruff
- Treating Dandruff
- Best Essential Oils For Fighting Dandruff
- Benefits Of Essential Oils
- How To Use And Apply Oils For Treating Dandruff
- A Word Of Caution
- 11 Important Questions About Oils For Treating Dandruff Answered
- Is coconut oil an effective remedy for dandruff?
- Which is the best hair oil to prevent dandruff?
- How can I use almond oil for treating dandruff?
- For how much time should I leave the lemon and coconut oil mask on my scalp to treat dandruff?
- Is almond oil effective in treating dandruff?
- How can I make an essential oil at home for treating dandruff?
- How can I use tea tree oil for dandruff laced dry flaky skin?
- Which is the best hair oil for treating dandruff, itchy scalp and dryness?
- Can oiling cause dandruff?
- Can oiling help treat dandruff?
- Can applying mustard oil on the scalp cause dandruff?
- Similar Natural Oil Stories
Dandruff is an extremely common problem. At some point in life, most people experience it. Many people think it’s a disease or an ailment. However, it is the manifestation of an underlying problem. Having dandruff in your hair can be embarrassing. Treating it can be very easy. There are many benefits of Ayurvedic oils for hair growth and you can also use them to fight dandruff.
Also Read: How To Get Rid Of Dandruff?
Symptoms Of Dandruff
Well, the most obvious symptom is the appearance of white flaky stuff that comes out of your hair when you comb it. However, there are early symptoms that may eventually lead to dandruff. Have a look.
- Scalp inflammation
- An itchy scalp
- Dry scalp
- Sore scalp
You Need To Read This: Ayurvedic Oil Benefits for an Oily Scalp
Causes Of Dandruff
At first, this sounds like the name of a terrifying Spanish gangster. It isn’t. Malassezia Globosa (MG) is a yeast-like fungus that dwells in your hair. Don’t let that worry you. Our hair is an ecosystem of bacteria that live in harmony and serve several vital functions.
Malassezia Globosa is the main cause of dandruff. Here is how things escalate in your hair to result in dandruff.
- MG feeds of oil like sebum (naturally produced by the skin) or any oil that you apply
- MG then excretes oleic acid
- If there is a misbalance, MG will overpopulate and excrete oleic acid at a faster rate
- Some people are allergic to oleic acid
- Their immune system sheds off skin and creates new at an accelerated rate
- This manifests as a white flaky thing that we call dandruff
Check out: Best Anti Dandruff Shampoos in India
Sometimes you use hair products that may contain ingredients that you’re allergic to. If you have oleic acid as one of the ingredients then it definitely is the culprit.
When an allergic reaction is triggered, it causes skin inflammation. Also, your scalp over produces skin cells which eventually manifest as dandruff.
Product Build Up
If you don’t scrub or wash your scalp for some days, the product starts to build up. Sebum is one such product that builds up. This build-up is perfect for fungus (like MG) to overgrow and shed skin.
Excess Sugar In Your Diet
Excess sugar in your diet can cause MG and such fungus to overgrow in your gut and bloodstream. This eventually leads to dandruff
Check Out: Benefits Of Natural Oils For Hair
- Drink more water to prevent dry skin
- Relax and let go of your stress. Stress, anxiety and depression can cause irritation and inflammation of the skin
- Eat a nutrition-rich diet, especially fatty acids like Omega-3, proteins and vitamins
- Massage your scalp with essential oils.
Check Out: Dandruff Causes
Best Essential Oils For Fighting Dandruff
Essential oils have similar therapeutic and nourishing properties for your skin and hair. They moisturize your skin, reduce inflammation, fight bacteria and strengthen your hair. Here is a list of some great essential oils you can massage your scalp with and keep dandruff away.
- Rosemary Essential Oil
- Tea Tree Essential Oil
- Lavender Essential Oil
- Chamomile Essential Oil
- Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- Thyme Essential Oil
- Patchouli Essential Oil
Learn in Detail About: Benefits of vitamin E oil for hair growth
Benefits Of Essential Oils
Essential Oils have some properties that make them beneficial for your hair and scalp. Here are some properties that most essential oils share.
- Rich in fatty acids
- High in protein
- Contain vitamins and minerals
- Are natural emollient and moisturizers
Read About: Head and Shoulders Shampoo Review
How To Use And Apply Oils For Treating Dandruff
Deep Conditioning With Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is one of the greatest oils for your hair. It will moisturize your hair and scalp effectively.
- Shampoo your hair
- Mix an essential oil in coconut oil
- Massage your scalp and hair roots
- Leave it for 30 mins or overnight for maximum benefit
- Wash off excess oil
Learn About: Home Remedies to Control Dandruff
A Word Of Caution
While essential oils are great for your hair, it is good to exercise some caution when using them.
- Always mix essential oils with a carrier oil like coconut, sweet almond and etc.
- Make sure you are not allergic to essential oils buy doing a patch test
- Buy 100% organic oils from a trusted reader
- Make sure to read the label and check the expiration date
- Pregnant and lactating women should not use essential oils
11 Important Questions About Oils For Treating Dandruff Answered
Is coconut oil an effective remedy for dandruff?
Yes, using coconut oil on your scalp to reduce dandruff is quite an effective natural remedy. The best and most effective oil, coconut oil can be used to moisturize the scalp, restore the scalp health and reduce dandruff.
Which is the best hair oil to prevent dandruff?
A combination of coconut oil and tea tree oil is the best to prevent dandruff. Being antifungal in nature, coconut oil can be used to treat dandruff problems as it kills the fungus and bacteria that cause dandruff. Tea tree oil is responsible for cleansing the scalp and removing any dead skin deposits or dirt off it.
How can I use almond oil for treating dandruff?
To use almond oil for treating dandruff:
- Use a few drops of almond oil on your palm and rub your hands together to warm the oil up.
- Gently massage the oil on your scalp.
- Leave it on for a few minutes and then wash off as usual.
For how much time should I leave the lemon and coconut oil mask on my scalp to treat dandruff?
The ideal time to leave on the lemon and coconut oil mask on your scalp is approximately 20 minutes. Wash off with water.
Is almond oil effective in treating dandruff?
Yes, using almond oil in the above-mentioned way is effective in treating dandruff and keeping it at bay for up to four months.
How can I make an essential oil at home for treating dandruff?
You can prepare your own effective essential oil to treat dandruff at home by blending in 6 spoons of olive oil, 3 drops of lavender oil, 3 drops of tea tree oil, 6 drops of rosemary and 4 drops of cedarwood essential oil in a small bottle.
How can I use tea tree oil for dandruff laced dry flaky skin?
Combine tea tree oil in coconut oil and massage it gently on your scalp to remove dandruff and flaky skin.
Which is the best hair oil for treating dandruff, itchy scalp and dryness?
Coconut oil and Olive Oil are the best hair oils that can help treat dandruff, itchy scalp and dry skin.
Can oiling cause dandruff?
No, oiling does not cause dandruff. Use it overnight and wash it off in the morning to get better results. The unsaturated fats present in the oils can help dandruff loosen its grip on the scalp and finally make the flakes fall off.
Can oiling help treat dandruff?
Yes, oiling can help treat dandruff. Use sufficient amount of oil on your scalp over the dandruff affected area and leave it overnight. Wash it off the next morning with a mild shampoo.
Can applying mustard oil on the scalp cause dandruff?
No, applying mustard oil at night and washing it off the next morning helps the scalp get rid of dandruff.
Similar Natural Oil Stories
- Benefits of Vitamin E Oil For Skin
- Natural Oil Benefits for hair Regrowth
- Ayurvedic Oil Benefits for Skin