Table of Contents
- What is Thiospas?
- Uses of Thiospas
- How does Thiospas work?
- How to take Thiospas?
- Common Dosage for Thiospas
- When to Avoid Thiospas?
- Precautions While Taking Thiospas
- Side-Effects of Thiospas
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide – Thiospas Composition, Variant and Price
- Substitutes of Thiospas
- FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Thiospas
- Authored By –
1What is Thiospas?
It is a medicine which is used mainly to prevent or treat signs of back pain, muscle stiffness and sciatic pain. Fainting, breathlessness and low blood pressure are the major side effects at high repetitive doses. It should be totally avoided in case of pregnancy, lactation and allergic reactions to the drug.
Thiospas Composition: Thiocolchicoside 4mg
Manufactured By: Abbott
Prescription: Required but it is also available as OTC (over the counter drug).
Form: Tablet, capsule, gel and ointment
Price: Rs. 159.65 for 10 tablets.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Analgesic + Muscle Relaxant
2Uses of Thiospas
Thiospas is used to treat following conditions:
- Back pain: Used to treat back pain.
- Sciatic Pain: Used in cases of sciatic pain to provide relief.
- Nerve Pain: Used to provide relief in cases of pain caused by nerve compression.
- Radiating Pain: Used in cases of pain radiating to the lower extremities.
- Musculoskeletal Pain: Used in cases of musculoskeletal pain.
3How does Thiospas work?
- Thiospas contains Thiocolchicoside as its active main ingredient.
- Thiocolchicoside is a muscle relaxant with anti inflammatory and analgesic properties.
- Thiospas work on the spinal cord and brain to provide relief in muscle stiffness and also reduces pain and swelling.
4How to take Thiospas?
- Thiospas is usually available in the form of tablets.
- Thiospas Tablet is taken by mouth with a glass of water with or without food but should be taken after food to prevent any potential gastric irritation the drug might cause when taken empty stomach.
- Thiospas Tablet should never be chewed or crushed. It should be swallowed as a whole.
- Thiospas Tablet should be taken with equal time interval between two doses, if more than one dose a day is prescribed.
- It is advisable to go through the pack insert properly before consuming the drug to have a better understanding of the drug.
5Common Dosage for Thiospas
- Thiospas dosage can be decided by the doctor for every individual as per: Age, Weight, Mental status, Allergic history and Health status of the patient.
- Common Adult dose of Thiospas Tablet is a single tablet of 8mg twice daily or 8mg injection administered intramuscularly two times a day.
- It is not recommended to be administered to children under 16 years of age without pediatric consultation
- Dose alteration should be avoided without proper medical consultation.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Thiospas?
Overdose of Thiospas can cause undesirable effects and can also lead to complications in few cases. Therefore, strictly adhere to the prescribed dose and seek medical help immediately in case of any symptoms of overdose.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Thiospas?
Dose prescribed by the doctor should never be missed and if missed, it should be consumed always as soon as you remember it. But, avoid taking a double dose if it’s already time for the second dose after that as it may lead to overdose of the drug
Q. What happens if I eat expired Thiospas?
Consuming expired Thiospas might not exhibit desirable effects or any side effects. However, one should abstain from consuming expired drug.
Q. What is the onset time of Thiospas?
- The effect of Thiospas can be seen on the same day of starting the administration of the drug.
- Time taken by drug to show the desired effects may vary with every individual patient.
6When to Avoid Thiospas?
Do not Consume Thiospas if:
- Allergy: In cases of known allergy to Thiospas or any other muscle relaxants or any of its constituents.
- Seizure prone: In cases of patients who are more prone to developing seizures.
- Loss of Muscle tone: In cases where the muscles cannot contract.
- Liver/ Kidney impairment: In cases of patients with liver disease and kidney disease or impairment.
7Precautions While Taking Thiospas
- Liver/ Kidney diseases: Dose alteration may be required by the physician in patients with kidney or liver impairments.
- Pregnancy/ Lactation: Extra caution is to be taken while administering the drug in pregnant or lactating women.
- Underage: Should be avoided in children under 16 years of age.
Warnings When Taking Thiospas
- There should be equally spaced time interval between two doses.
- Avoid prolonged use of Thiospas.
- Always consume the tablet with or after meals to prevent any gastric irritation.
8Side-Effects of Thiospas
The side effects associated with Thiospas are:
- Nausea (common)
- Vomiting (common)
- Diarrhea (common)
- Dizziness (common)
- Headache (common)
- Abdominal pain (common)
- Fatigue (common)
- Dyspepsia (less common)
- Skin rash (common)
- Low blood pressure (less common)
- Temporary blur of consciousness (less common)
- Swelling of the arms, legs, ankles, face, lips, or mouth and throat (less common)
- Difficulties in breathing or swallowing (less common)
- Itching (common)
- Fainting(less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Thiospas?
- Thiospas is known to cause allergic reaction with symptoms like rashes, itching, swelling of face and neck.
- In case of any such signs, immediate medical help should be taken.
What are the effects of Thiospas on organs?
- Thiospas should used with caution in patients with liver impairment as it can affect the liver. Therefore, dose modification would be required in such cases.
- Thiospas should not be administered to patients with kidney impairment.
9Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Thiospas. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Thiospas. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Thiospas
Milk is to be avoided while consuming Thiospas.
2. Medicines Interactions with Thiospas
It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products he/she is using. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
3. Effects of Thiospas on Lab Tests
Thiospas does not affect any lab tests as such.
4. Thiospas’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any Liver or kidney diseases and seizure prone patients.
Q. Can I have Thiospas with alcohol?
No, it is advisable to avoid alcohol consumption while on Thiospas therapy. The doctor should always be consulted before taking alcohol with Thiospas.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
Do not consume the drug with milk
Q. Can I have Thiospas when pregnant?
No, it is not safe to consume during pregnancy. Always inform the doctor before taking Thiospas in cases of pregnancy or if you’re planning to conceive.
Q. Can I have Thiospas when feeding a baby?
No, it is not safe to administer Thiospas tablet to Lactating mothers. Always inform the doctor about the case.
Q. Can I drive after taking Thiospas?
It is safe to drive after consuming Thiospas tablet but one should avoid driving or operating heavy machinery if drowsiness or dizziness occurs.
10Buyer’s Guide – Thiospas Composition, Variant and Price
|Thiospas 8mg Tablet||Thiocolchicoside 8mg||Rs. 257.61 for 10 tablets|
|Thiospas A 4mg Tablet||Thiocolchicoside 4mg + Aceclofenac 100mg||Rs. 185.05 for 10 tablets|
|Thiospas A 8mg Tablet||Thiocolchicoside 8mg + Aceclofenac 100mg||Rs. 281.80 for 10 tablets|
11Substitutes of Thiospas
The following are alternative drugs for Thiospas:
- Miofree 4mg Capsule: Manufactured by Lupin Ltd
- Myoril 4mg Capsule: Manufactured by Sanofi
- Neorelax 4mg Tablet: Manufactured by Meyer Organics Pvt Ltd.
- Relmus 4mg Capsule: Manufactured by Novartis
Storage requirements for Thiospas
- Store the Thiospas tablet at a dry place away from direct heat or sunlight at temperature below 25O
- Keep it at a place away from children’s reach.
12FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Thiospas
Q. What is Thiospas?
Ans. Thiospas is a unicomponent drug. Thiocolchicoside is a muscle relaxant. It is used mainly to treat conditions like back pain, stiff muscles etc.
Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Thiospas to show results?
Ans. The effect of Thiospas can be seen on same day of oral administration of the drug and the time taken by drug to show the desired effects may vary with every individual patient.
Q. Should Thiospas be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Thiospas should not be taken empty stomach to prevent any potential stomach upset.
Q. Does Thiospas make you drowsy?
Ans. Yes, Thiospas may cause drowsiness in few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Thiospas doses?
Ans. Ideal time gap of 4-6 hours should be there between two doses.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Thiospas should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken.
And the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Thiospas.
Q. Does Thiospas effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. No, it generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle but one should always consult the doctor in case of pre existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Thiospas safe for children?
Ans. Thiospas should not be administered in children without proper consultation and recommendation by the Paediatrician should be taken.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Thiospas?
Ans. Any liver disorder or allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Thiospas.
Q. Is Thiospas legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.
13Authored By –