We’ve got 99 problems and premature greying is definitely somewhere on top of that list. Standing in front of the mirror, hunting down these grey strands with clippers in hand might not be the best idea. Covering your hair in chemical-based dyes is the number second on the bad list and can be a major hair fall reason. So, what do you do about this nightmare? Just let nature handle it!
What is Premature Greying of Hair?
Premature Greying of hair is also known as canities in which the hair gets greyed in early and mid-twenties. Greying occurs due to the exhaustion of melanocytes which causes pigmentation in hair.
What are the causes of Premature Greying of Hair?
Premature Greying is a multi-factorial process which may be caused due to nutritional, genetic, and other environmental factors. It may be caused by a deficiency of Vitamin B12, iron, protein, copper and other essential nutrients while prolonged exposure to ultra-violet rays can also cause premature greying. Many studies have also proven that excessive smoking may lead to early greying of hair in many people.
If you are fighting with the problems of premature greying, then you must look at the top 10 home remedies that can prevent premature greying of hair:
Top 10 Home Remedies For Premature Greying Of Hair
1. Curry Leaves
Curry leaves are so effective on premature greying that these are known as the arch-nemesis of grey hair. Curry leaves attack the root and prevents more grey hair from sprouting up. If you have a strong stomach, then you can eat a spoonful of curry leaf paste with salt or just chew on a handful of leaves. If you cannot consume raw leaves, then grind them and apply directly to your roots.
- 15-20 Curry leaves
- ½ cup Coconut Oil
How To Use?
- Boil the coconut oil on a low flame
- Add the curry leaves to the boiling oil
- Boil it until the curry leaves become black
- Separate the curry leaves from the oil
- Apply the oil every night and leave it overnight
- Use a mild shampoo to clear off the oil
Apply it regularly to see positive results
Check Out: Patanjali Shampoo Review
2. Coconut Oil
Coconut Oil for hair is pure magic. Whether it is the skin, the hair or the hormones, it is a quick fix for everything. Keeping in mind that premature greying can be a devious interplay of the hormones, coconut oil uses can come in handy here as well. The anti-oxidants and Vitamin E will not only keep your natural colour intact but also give you strong, lustrous hair.
- Coconut Oil
- Dried Curry Leaves
How To Use?
- Crush a handful of curry leaves in 3 tablespoons of coconut oil
- Heat the mixture a little
- Massage into the roots and wash in 30-45 minutes
- Apply this tonic twice a week and get rid of the pesky greys
3. Indian Gooseberry
The Indian Gooseberry is another miracle product found in most Indian households. It has plenty of antioxidants and Vitamin C that makes it a much sought-after anti-ageing home remedy. Turns out, it can do wonders for premature greying as well. The natural astringents in it will help retain the natural hair colour. Bite into one or smash one to apply the pulp to the roots of your hair. It is extremely sour, so be ready to cringe. You can even opt for powdered gooseberry that can be consumed with water every morning. Here is a simple hack about how you can apply Amla to your hair to reduce premature greying.
- 1-3 tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 1 tablespoon Amla Powder
- ½ tablespoon Fenugreek Powder
How To Use?
- Add all the above ingredients together in a pan
- Boil the mixture on a low flame
- Mix them well to form a thick paste
- Let it cool and apply the mixture to your roots
- Exercise this remedy at least 2-3 times a week for effective results
Check Out: Sunsilk Shampoo Review
Who knew that butter can prevent greying of hair? The catch is that it must only be cow’s milk butter. The enzymes in the butter made from cow’s milk can alter the greying process giving you back your natural colour. This effective remedy does not only prevent the occurrence of premature greying of hair but also adds a smooth texture to your hair if applied regularly. Here is how you can apply butter to your hair to prevent greying.
- A chunk of Cow’s butter (either yellow or white)
How To Use?
- Heat a chunk of butter in a pan
- Let it cool down a bit
- Apply it to your roots gently
- Massage well until it gets absorbed
- Repeat this exercise thrice a week for positive results