Table of Contents
- 0.1 What is Premature Greying of Hair?
- 0.2 What are the causes of Premature Greying of Hair?
- 0.3 Top 10 Home Remedies For Premature Greying Of Hair
- 0.4 1. Curry Leaves
- 0.5 2. Coconut Oil
- 0.6 3. Indian Gooseberry
- 0.7 4. Butter
- 0.8 5. Wheatgrass
- 0.9 6. Tea
- 0.10 7. Rosemary and Sage
- 0.11 8. Blackstrap Molasses
- 0.12 9. Ribbed Gourd
- 0.13 10. Amaranth
- 0.14 Frequently Asked Questions – (FAQS)
- 1 Related Stories That Will Interest You
We’ve got 99 problems and premature greying is definitely somewhere on top of that list. Standing in front of the mirror, hunting down these grey strands with clippers in hand might not be the best idea. Covering your hair in chemical-based dyes is the number second on the bad list and can be a major hair fall reason. So, what do you do about this nightmare? Just let nature handle it!
What is Premature Greying of Hair?
Premature Greying of hair is also known as canities in which the hair gets greyed in early and mid-twenties. Greying occurs due to the exhaustion of melanocytes which causes pigmentation in hair.
What are the causes of Premature Greying of Hair?
Premature Greying is a multi-factorial process which may be caused due to nutritional, genetic, and other environmental factors. It may be caused by a deficiency of Vitamin B12, iron, protein, copper and other essential nutrients while prolonged exposure to ultra-violet rays can also cause premature greying. Many studies have also proven that excessive smoking may lead to early greying of hair in many people.
If you are fighting with the problems of premature greying, then you must look at the top 10 home remedies that can prevent premature greying of hair:
Top 10 Home Remedies For Premature Greying Of Hair
1. Curry Leaves
Curry leaves are so effective on premature greying that these are known as the arch-nemesis of grey hair. Curry leaves attack the root and prevents more grey hair from sprouting up. If you have a strong stomach, then you can eat a spoonful of curry leaf paste with salt or just chew on a handful of leaves. If you cannot consume raw leaves, then grind them and apply directly to your roots.
- 15-20 Curry leaves
- ½ cup Coconut Oil
How To Use?
- Boil the coconut oil on a low flame
- Add the curry leaves to the boiling oil
- Boil it until the curry leaves become black
- Separate the curry leaves from the oil
- Apply the oil every night and leave it overnight
- Use a mild shampoo to clear off the oil
Apply it regularly to see positive results
Check Out: Patanjali Shampoo Review
2. Coconut Oil
Coconut Oil for hair is pure magic. Whether it is the skin, the hair or the hormones, it is a quick fix for everything. Keeping in mind that premature greying can be a devious interplay of the hormones, coconut oil uses can come in handy here as well. The anti-oxidants and Vitamin E will not only keep your natural colour intact but also give you strong, lustrous hair.
- Coconut Oil
- Dried Curry Leaves
How To Use?
- Crush a handful of curry leaves in 3 tablespoons of coconut oil
- Heat the mixture a little
- Massage into the roots and wash in 30-45 minutes
- Apply this tonic twice a week and get rid of the pesky greys
3. Indian Gooseberry
The Indian Gooseberry is another miracle product found in most Indian households. It has plenty of antioxidants and Vitamin C that makes it a much sought-after anti-ageing home remedy. Turns out, it can do wonders for premature greying as well. The natural astringents in it will help retain the natural hair colour. Bite into one or smash one to apply the pulp to the roots of your hair. It is extremely sour, so be ready to cringe. You can even opt for powdered gooseberry that can be consumed with water every morning. Here is a simple hack about how you can apply Amla to your hair to reduce premature greying.
- 1-3 tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 1 tablespoon Amla Powder
- ½ tablespoon Fenugreek Powder
How To Use?
- Add all the above ingredients together in a pan
- Boil the mixture on a low flame
- Mix them well to form a thick paste
- Let it cool and apply the mixture to your roots
- Exercise this remedy at least 2-3 times a week for effective results
Check Out: Sunsilk Shampoo Review
Who knew that butter can prevent greying of hair? The catch is that it must only be cow’s milk butter. The enzymes in the butter made from cow’s milk can alter the greying process giving you back your natural colour. This effective remedy does not only prevent the occurrence of premature greying of hair but also adds a smooth texture to your hair if applied regularly. Here is how you can apply butter to your hair to prevent greying.
- A chunk of Cow’s butter (either yellow or white)
How To Use?
- Heat a chunk of butter in a pan
- Let it cool down a bit
- Apply it to your roots gently
- Massage well until it gets absorbed
- Repeat this exercise thrice a week for positive results
Consuming Wheatgrass Juice decelerates the overall ageing process. It has vital anti-oxidants such as Catalase which rejuvenates cells and reverses premature greying. It is rich in protein and as hair follicles are made of a protein called Keratin, the benefits are obvious. Drink a small amount of wheatgrass juice every morning and see how the greys fade away. Alternatively, you can apply it to your scalp and wash it off in 5 minutes for similar results.
- A half cup of Wheatgrass Juice
How To Use?
- Take a few strands of hair and apply wheatgrass juice to them
- Massage your scalp well with the Wheatgrass Juice
- Leave it in your hair for 15-20 minutes
- Rinse with lukewarm water
- Apply this juice 2-3 times a week for best results
Black Tea works as a natural dye and gives your hair a keratin boost. It also works to increase the melanin (pigment which is responsible for its natural colour) content in your hair. The herbal black tea contains tannin which helps in stopping the production of DTH Hormone. This hormone causes hair loss, hence applying black tea to your hair can have great results.
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon black tea leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
How To Use?
- Boil water and add tea leaves
- Simmer the flame and let it boil for 5 minutes
- Add salt meanwhile
- Now, strain the mixture so that the leaves are separated
- Rinse your hair with water after it becomes lukewarm
- Let it remain in your hair for 10 minutes
- Rinse your hair with lukewarm water
- Apply this mixture 2-3 times a week for positive results
7. Rosemary and Sage
When putting together, these everyday herbs form a fail-safe grey hair remedy. Rosemary and Sage are two essential herbs that help in adding colour and lustre to your hair. Sage is rich in antioxidants which helps to prevent the outbreak of grey hair. The anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties blend togther to help in relieving problems like dandruff, eczema, and dermatitis.
- Sage and Rosemary leaves
- 2 glasses of water
How To Use?
- Boil water in a container
- Add a half cup of each of the herbs in water
- Let the herbs steep in water for 1 hour
- Strain the leaves from the water
- Now, rinse your hair with the mixture
- Keep it for 30 minutes and wash off with a mild shampoo
- Try this remedy twice every week for effective results
Also Read: Benefits and Uses of Dry Shampoo
8. Blackstrap Molasses
The minerals present in blackstrap molasses are seldom found in such a high concentration in other products. This by-product of the sugarcane refinement process is rich in manganese, zinc, and copper. It increases the production of melanin in the body, which darkens grey hair and helps to get rid of the premature greying problem.
- Half a cup of water
- 2 tablespoons molasses
How To Use?
- Boil half a cup of water
- Add two tablespoons of molasses
- Drink this concoction daily
- You will start seeing results in just a few weeks of regular usage
9. Ribbed Gourd
Despise Tori? But did you know that it could help in dealing with untimely grey hair? Ribbed gourd is also known as ridge gourd which contains enzymes that restore pigmentation and melamine in the roots of your hair. The vegetable strengthens and vitalizes your hair and increases the melanin level. For best results, make a tonic with coconut oil. It will provide you with strengthened, dark, coloured hair.
- 4-5 pieces of ribbed gourd
- Coconut Oil
How To Use?
- Dry 4-5 pieces of ribbed gourd in the shade
- Soak the dried pieces in coconut oil for about 3-4 days
- Boil the oil with the pieces still inside it until the mixture turns black
- Use this oil to massage your hair twice a week
This vegetable has proven health benefits on the human body. Loaded with antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and carbohydrates, it is widely known as a superfood. It will promote hair growth and reverse greying in no time. Additionally, it also prevents hair fall giving you thick, beautiful locks.
- 2-3 Amarnath leaves
- A few drops of Coconut Oil
How To Use?
- Grind a handful of leaves
- Add a few drops of coconut oil
- Mix it well
- Apply the paste twice a week for best results
Remember, stress is the leading cause of premature greying. So, stressing about premature greying will only worsen the situation. Try one of these remedies and put the fret to rest.
Frequently Asked Questions – (FAQS)
Can Grey hair turn black naturally?
Yes, it is possible to turn grey hair black naturally. You can try the above-mentioned home remedies regularly to turn your grey hair naturally black. If you wish to turn your grey hair black at home then, apply coconut oil and curry leaves to your hair regularly.
Is Premature Greying of hair reversible?
Yes, premature greying is reversible if you follow carefully-selected home remedies on a regular basis. One of the remedies that are used to reverse premature greying is butter made from Cow’s milk. Cow’s milk butter contains enzymes that can reverse the greying process by giving you back your natural colour.
How can I hide my GREY hair naturally?
You can’t hide grey hair naturally. However, with regular application of some home remedies, you can turn your grey hair black naturally. Apply wheatgrass juice to your hair and massage gently and rinse it off. Follow this practice regularly to turn grey hair black.
What should I eat to prevent Grey hair?
Maintaining a healthy diet is very important to prevent greying of hair. Hence you must eat green leafy vegetables such as spinach, kale, amla and a diet rich in proteins to prevent premature greying of hair. You must also avoid smoking to prevent premature greying of hair. The harmful free radicals produced while smoking may damage the cells that produce melanin.
Can low Vitamin D cause GREY hair?
The deficiency of Vitamin D and other essential Vitamins and nutrients may cause greying of hair. You can consume sage and rosemary in the form a salad as they are rich in Vitamin D. Hence, you must take a rich diet that is high in essential Vitamins and proteins.
How do you stop Grey hair from growing?
No magic beans can help in stopping the growth of grey hair. However, you must take certain measures to avoid growth. These measures include eating a healthy diet, avoid smoking, leading a stress-free life, regular working out, and using some of the essential home remedies to get rid of premature greying of hair.
Related Stories That Will Interest You
- Best Shampoo For Dry Hair
- Best Shampoo For Colored Hair
- Best Beer Shampoos
- Best Herbal Shampoos For Dry Hair