If you hadn’t been living under a rock, you’d have noticed that Apple released a new iPhone. In fact, it released two variants of the new phone – iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus.
As with all Apple events over the years, this one too was hugely expected and created a lot of buzz on the internet. Twitter was trending #AppleEvent, Facebook was full of Apple feeds and YouTube was live streaming the launch from San Francisco.
Clearly there was much excitement in the air and once again the world’s largest information technology company was making its presence felt. Apple launched three new devices including two iPhones and an Apple Series 2 Watch. While there isn’t much to be talked about the watch, the new flagship phones did make quite an impression.
Vivid displays, better camera, revolutionary headphones and bigger battery. Apple iPhone 7 is its best iPhone yet claims Apple. But are we really served well here?
Here’s a roundup of the live event with the pros and cons of the latest flagship device.
Note: There isn’t much of a difference between Apple iPhone 7 and 7 Plus except for the bigger display and dual rear camera on iPhone 7 Plus.
Top 5 Pros:
- Apple iPhone 7 comes with the new high-performance A10 chip which promises 40% enhanced performance when compared to A9 chips used in iPhone 6 and 6s.
- Camera has always been a standout feature for Apple and with iPhone 7 you can finally bid goodbye to the DSLR. Apple iPhone 7 comes with a 12-megapixel rear camera that captures stunning images with amazing detail. It’s simply the best camera ever in a smartphone.
- Apple has reinvented headphones and there is no longer a 3.5mm head jack. Instead, you get two wireless earplugs which Apple calls “Airpods”. It’s amazing how this technology works. All you have to do is wirelessly connect these Airpods to the iPhone 7 through lightning ports. Once done, you can listen to music, attend calls and shake a leg without ever worrying about wires again.
- The battery life is amped up in Apple iPhone 7 and 7s. On an average, it gives one hour of extra power than similar iPhone 6 models.
- For the first time ever an Apple mobile will be dust and water resistant. IP67 certification ensures that iPhone 7 and 7 Plus can survive dusty falls and water splashes.
Top 5 Cons:
- Though the battery on Apple iPhone 7 is bigger and better than previous generation phones, it still lacks the extra juice needed for extensive battery draining applications like using the GPS tracker and for playing high-end games.
- No charging and listening at the same time. The end of 3.5mm head jack means that there is no way to listen to music while charging your phone. Lightning port allows only one activity – either charging or listening.
- Honestly speaking the “Airpods” from Apple are pretty cool but what isn’t so interesting is the extra $159 (approx Rs 11,000) you’ll have to shell out for it.
- As with the iPhone 6 version, this one too has serious bending issues. You might accidentally deform your phone if you are rough in handling it. This goes out to all the buff dudes and divas out there. You might want to go a little more soft on your phone now.
- A doom for many of your plug-in accessories. With the removal of the 3.5mm jack, it’s officially a goodbye to some of your accessories like the aux cable which you use in your car for listening to music from the iPhone. Well, not anymore!
If not for the lightning ports and only a slightly bigger battery, Apple seems to have ticked off all the right boxes. Having said that, the future is certainly going to be wireless and Apple’s proprietary Airpods are just a step in the right direction.
Apple iPhone 7 would be available in India at a starting price of Rs 60,000 from October 7, 2016. It is available in Black, Jet Black, Silver, Gold and Rose Gold colours. The internal storage options include 32GB, 128GB and 256GB.