What is Trazodone?
Trazodone is sold under the brand name Codipzona. It is an antidepressant medication which is taken orally. Trazodone is used to treat a major depressive disorder and anxiety disorders.
Buy & Get Minimum 30% Discount: Coupons For 1Mg | Netmeds Offers Today
Uses of Trazodone
- Trazodone is used to treat alcohol dependence.
- It is used to treat insomnia.
- Trazodone is also used in the treatment of schizophrenia and erectile dysfunction.
Also Read: Risperidone Uses
How Does Trazodone Work?
Trazodone is an antidepressant which affects the neurotransmitters such as acetylcholine, norepinephrine, dopamine, and serotonin in the brain. This helps the nerves to communicate with each other.
Trazodone Price in India
|Trazodone (25 mg)||Rs 12.00|
Also Read: Potassium Chloride Price | Pradaxa Price
How to Take Trazodone?
- Swallow the tablet wholly. Do not crush, chew or break it.
- Take it with a full glass of water.
- Try to take Trazodone at the same time on an empty stomach at bedtime.
Common Dosage for Trazodone
- The dosage is different for different conditions. So it is safe to consult the doctor before taking the dosage.
- For depression, the dosage is about 150mg per day.
Also read about other medicine's Dosage: Tamsulosin Dosage | Vancomycin Dosage
Precautions – When to Avoid Trazodone?
While taking the Trazodone you should follow the following steps:
- Don’t delay or miss a scheduled meal or snack
- Don’t take Trazodone along with other certain medications.
- Avoid consuming alcohol for initial days while taking Trazodone.
Side-Effects of Trazodone
Some common side effects of Trazodone are:
- Ringing in the ears
- Stomach pain
- Loss of appetite
- Weight gain or loss
- Rashes or itches in the skin
- Nervous or irritation
- Hair loss
- Sudden mood changes
Effects of Trazodone on Organs
Long-term usage of Trazodone may cause damage in the liver and result in liver toxicity.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
Drugs like astemizole, pentamidine, indapamide, disopyramide, pimozide, phenelezine, etc. cause serious side effects when they interact with Trazodone.
Effects/Results after Consuming Trazodone
Trazodone will show its effect within 1 to 2 hours and the effect lasts for up to 12 hours in the body.
Storage Requirements about Trazodone
Trazodone can be stored in a closed container at room temperature away from heat, moisture and direct light.
Pro Tips When Taking Trazodone
- Trazodone should be taken in the prescribed dosage and one must only increase the dosage when the physician prescribes it.
- Do not abruptly stop taking Trazodone as it may cause negative effects on the body.
- Avoid alcohol while taking Trazodone.
FAQs – Things to Know About Trazodone
Is Trazodone addictive?
No, Trazodone is not addictive.
Can I have Trazodone with alcohol?
No. Having Trazodone with alcohol will cause liver damage.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Can I have Trazodone when pregnant?
No. Trazodone is not recommended during pregnancy as it causes defects in the foetus.
Can I have Trazodone when feeding a baby?
There are no side effects reported in the baby even though it is passed through breast milk.
Can I drive after taking Trazodone?
No. Trazodone can cause drowsiness.
What happens if I overdose on Trazodone?
An overdose on Trazodone would cause dizziness, chest pain, light-headedness, seizure, decreased heartbeat, nausea, etc.
What happens if I eat expired Trazodone?
It will not be effective but sometimes it may causes serious side effects.
What happens if I miss a dose of Trazodone?
If you miss a dose of Trazodone take it as soon as you remember it within the next 12 hours. If you don’t, then just go back to your regular dosage.
When Was Trazodone Made?
Trazodone was made in the year 1960s.