Table of Contents
Tribulus (Tribulus Terrestris) is a plant which has been used in traditional Chinese medicine and ayurvedic treatments since ages. It has been touted as a natural aphrodisiac. The plant is primarily taken to increase athletic performance. Also, alternatively puncture vine, Tribulus is also known for its libido enhancing properties. It enhances the levels of certain hormones like testosterone and estrogen.
Also Read - Hamdard Roghan Badam Shirin
Medicinal Properties of Tribulus
- Contains Antioxidants
- Immune boosting
- Pain reducing
Heath Benefits of Tribulus
Enhances Athletic Performance
Tribulus is part of the dietary supplements used to build muscle mass and enhance bodily vigour and strength. However, a 2014 report which was published in the Journal of Dietary Supplements claimed that Tribulus’s testosterone enhancing effect can be substantiated only in combination with other substances in these dietary formulations.
Treats Sexual Problems
Tribulus might be useful in treating erectile dysfunction. According to an animal-based study published in Phytomedicine in 2008, it has been concluded that Tribulus can be used in the treatment of mild to moderate issues of erectile dysfunction.
Furthermore, Tribulus has proved to be useful in treating sexual dysfunction in women. This has been substantiated by a study done in 2014 and published in Daru: Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. For the purpose of the study, about 67 women with low sexual desire were administered with Tribulus for about a month.
A 2006 study published in the Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences demonstrated that Tribulus reduces oxidative stress and protects against diabetes.
Relieves Angina Symptoms
Oral Consumption of Tribulus extract is said to reduce symptoms of Angina pectoris or chest pain. However, there is insufficient evidence for this early research.
Can Treat Atopic Dermatitis
Oral consumption of Tribulus in combination with 9 other herbs is believed to lessen redness and skin outbreaks related to eczema. However, substantial research needs to be done to validate this claim.
Also Read - Babool Benefits
Uses of Tribulus
Besides, the above conditions, Tribulus is said to treat other health conditions such as
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Urinary tract infection
- Digestive Issues
How To Consume Tribulus
- Appropriate dosing is dependant on several factors such as user’s age, health condition as well as several other factors. There is not enough scientific evidence about appropriate dosing.
- Users are advised to follow proper directions on product labels as well as consult an experienced healthcare professional before using Tribulus.
- However, oral consumption of Tribulus supplements is possibly safe for a short duration. Also, research studies which lasted about 90 days have used Tribulus safely.
Also Read - Kalmegh Dosage
- Side effects are generally mild but can include stomach pain, diarrhea, cramping, constipation, vomiting, sleeplessness or heavy menstrual bleeding.
- Kidney damage has been cited as a rare side effect
Also Read - Chitrakadi Effects | Gotu Kola Side Effects
- Tribulus is considered as possibly unsafe during pregnancy and breast-feeding.
- Dosing of diabetes medication might need adjustments as Tribulus can lower blood sugar levels.
- Tribulus can affect blood sugar and blood pressure control during and post-surgery. Tribulus consumption should be stopped at least 2 weeks before a surgery
Where to Buy
Best Brands That Sell Tribulus
- All Max Nutrition
- Optimum Nutrition
- Morpheme Remedies