What is Trimethoprim?
Trimethoprim is an antibacterial agent used to treat a variety of bacterial infections.
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Medlife Offer | Pharmeasy Coupons
Uses of Trimethoprim
Trimethoprim is used in the treatment of:
- Bladder infections
- Middle ear infections
- Traveler’s diarrhea
- Kidney infections
- Chest infections
- Throat infections
- Sinus infection
Also Read: Silver Nitrate Uses
How Does Trimethoprim Work?
Trimethoprim mainly acts by stopping the bacterial growth in your body. Bacteria produce certain proteins to carry out its vital functions and growth. Trimethoprim stops the protein synthesis mechanism in bacteria.
How to Take Trimethoprim?
Trimethoprim tablet must be swallowed as a whole with a glass of water. You must not chew, crush or break the tablet while taking it. You should consume Trimethoprim on an empty to gain maximum benefit.
Trimethoprim Price In India
|Colizole Sulphamethoxazole 400 mg, Trimethoprim 80 mg.||Rs 16.70|
Common Dosage for Trimethoprim?
Trimethoprim is generally prescribed once or twice daily. Your doctor may alter your dosage and its frequency depending upon the severity of your condition.
Also Read Sodium Thiosulphate Dosage | Sodium Valproate Dosage
When to Avoid Trimethoprim?
Avoid Trimethoprim if:
- You are allergic to any component of Trimethoprim
- You have kidney impairment
- You have a folic acid deficiency
- You have high blood potassium level
Side-Effects of Trimethoprim
Some of the reported side effects of Trimethoprim are:
- Mouth ulcer
- Low RBC count
- Upset stomach
- Appetite loss
- Taste change
Also Read: Sulfasalazine Side Effec
Effects of Trimethoprim on Organs?
Long-term use of Trimethoprim is not safe for the patients with kidney and liver disease. Your doctor may adjust your dose as per your requirement.
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions?
Some of the common allergic reactions reported with Trimethoprim are:
- difficulty breathing, and
- swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
One needs to be careful of the following drug interactions when consuming Trimethoprim:
- Typhoid vaccine
Effects/Results After Consuming Trimethoprim
The effect of Trimethoprim can be observed within 1 hour of administration. Your bacterial infection symptoms will start to improve after taking this medication.
Is Trimethoprim addictive?
Trimethoprim is not addictive in nature.
Can I have Trimethoprim with alcohol?
It is better to avoid alcohol when on Trimethoprim. Consult your doctor about limiting alcohol with this medication. Co-consumption of alcohol with Trimethoprim causes excessive sleepiness, drowsiness and can damage your liver.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
You must consult your doctor regarding the foods to be avoided.
Can I have Trimethoprim when pregnant?
In most cases, it is not safe to take Trimethoprim if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication.
Can I have Trimethoprim when feeding a baby?
Trimethoprim is known to pass in mother’s milk to the baby. Consult your doctor if it is absolutely necessary to take this medication while you are breastfeeding.
Can I drive after taking Trimethoprim?
It is generally safe to drive while taking Trimethoprim. However, if you experience drowsiness, dizziness, a headache or any side effect that alters your consciousness then it may not be safe to drive.
What happens if I overdose on Trimethoprim?
An overdose of Trimethoprim will not improve your symptoms. It may even cause serious side-effects like nausea, vomiting, headache, depression, dizziness, confusion and bone marrow depression. Consult your doctor immediately in case of overdose.
What happens if I eat expired Trimethoprim?
If by mistake you consume a dose of expired Trimethoprim, the chances of harm are very less. It is advised to check the label for expiry date always before use.
What happens if I miss a dose of Trimethoprim?
As soon as you remember, take the missed dose. However, if it is already time for next dose, carry on with your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed dose.
Storage Requirements for Trimethoprim
- Always store Trimethoprim at a temperature around 25 degree Celsius
- Storing in moisture-prone places like bathroom may damage the tablet
- Keep Trimethoprim away from direct heat and sunlight
- Store it where your children and pets can’t reach
Pro Tips When Taking Trimethoprim
- Do not try to self-adjust the dose. Take it in the quantity prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not share your medication with anyone even if they have a similar condition.
- Discuss the pros and cons of Trimethoprim if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy or if you are breastfeeding.
- Take precautions when out in the sun because this medication makes you more sensitive to the sunlight.
- Older people are more likely to get side effects like allergic reactions and mineral imbalance in the body.
- You must consume Trimethoprim either 1 hour before or 2 hours after a meal.
Also read about other medicine: Tetracycline