What is Rummy?
Rummy is a card game where you have sets of playing cards. It is the popular card game that falls under the category of draw and discard card games. Rummy is played by people of all ages and groups. It is a card-matching game that uses your skill to form a sequence or set of cards of same denominations or suites. Usually, there are two piles (open and hidden deck) of cards to draw and discard.
In rummy, the cards in each suit are ranked low to high that starts with an Ace, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, Jack, Queen and King. Jack, Queen, King and Ace have 10 points and the remaining cards have points according to their face value. For example, 4th card will have 4 points.
Basic Rules to Play Rummy
- Rummy is played between 2–6 players with two decks of cards
- Each player deals with 13 cards
- In the start, one random card is drawn as a wild card or the joker card of the game (to form an impure sequence)
- The player has to draw and discard cards to form a valid sequence of 13 cards in his hand
- In order to win the game, a player needs to form a pure sequence and an impure sequence
How to Play Rummy Online?
The main aim of the rummy card game is to form a sequence of 13 cards (1 pure sequence and at least 1 impure sequence and sets).
Here is how you can form such sequences:
A sequence is known as the group of three or more consecutive cards of the same suit. There are two sequences that you need to form: 1 pure sequence and 1 impure sequence. In order to win, you need at least one pure sequence in your rummy hand.
A pure sequence is a group of three or more cards of the same suit that are placed in consecutive order.
If it is a heart suite, a pure sequence of three would be 5, 6, 7.
If it is a spade suite, a pure sequence of four would be 3, 4, 5, 6.
Caution: There is no wild card or a joker card in a pure sequence.
An impure sequence is a group of three or more cards of the same suit with one (or more) joker cards.
If it is a heart suite, an impure sequence would be 4, 5, (wild card or joker card of any suite), 7.
If it is a spade suite, an impure sequence would be 5, (wild card of any suite), 7, 8, (printed joker card).
How to Form Sets
A set is a group of three or more cards that have the same value but of different suites. You can use a wild card or the joker card to form your set.
If you are planning to make an ace set, there should be three or more aces of different suits.
If you are planning to make a 9 set, then you can choose three cards of different suits and one wild card (or printed joker card) of any suit.
Caution: You can’t use more than four cards to form a set.
Quick Tips to Win a Rummy Game Online
- Form the pure sequence at the beginning of the game.
- Discard card of high points (ace, king, jack, queen). Replace them with a joker or wild cards (this makes you reduce point load if you lose the game).
- Avoid picking from the discarded pile of cards as it gives a hint of what hand you are trying to form
- Always look out of for smart cards like 7 of any suit with a 5 or 6 of the same suit
- Replace your high value cards with joker cards as they are valuable to form impure sequence and sets
- Always check before declaration as you might lose a winning game if it is an invalid declaration
Where to Play?
It is absolutely a fun game that requires your skills to draw or discard a card and form the sequences. C’mon, use your wits to win the game!
Here are the websites where you can play Rummy game online:
You can also save your money by using:
You Can Also Read: Things To Avoid While Playing Rummy Online