Table of Contents
- What is Ultram?
- Uses of Ultram
- How Ultram works?
- How to take Ultram?
- Ultram Price In India
- Common dosage for Ultram
- When to avoid Ultram?
- Side effects of Ultram (Tramadol Hcl)
- Effect on organs?
- Drug interactions to be careful about
- Is Ultram (Tramadol Hcl) addictive?
- Can I have Ultram with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Ultram (Tramadol Hcl) when pregnant?
- Can I have Ultram when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Ultram?
- What happens if I overdose on Ultram (Tramadol Hcl)?
- What happens if I eat expired Ultram?
- Storage requirements for Ultram (Tramadol Hcl)
- Pro Tips When Taking Ultram
What is Ultram?
Ultram contains Tramadol as the chief ingredient.
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Medlife Discount Coupon | Myra Coupon Code
Uses of Ultram
Ultram is a synthetic analgesic i.e. painkiller which is used to relieve moderate to moderately severe pain.
Also Read: Ventolin Uses | Voltaren Uses
How Ultram works?
- Ultram is a pain killer and the mechanism of action is similar to morphine.
- Ultram binds to receptors in the brain that transmits pain sensations to the brain from every part of the body.
How to take Ultram?
- Ultram (Tramadol Hcl) is available in the form of tablets.
- Ultram tablets should be swallowed as a whole and not broken, crushed or chewed.
- They should be taken after food and with plenty of fluids.
Ultram Price In India
|325mg/37.5mg Strip of 10 Tablets||Rs 86.5|
|100mg Vial of 2 ml Injection||Rs 30.00|
Common dosage for Ultram
Ultram (Tramadol Hcl) dosage is decided by the physician based upon:
- Health status/medical condition of the patient
- Severity of symptoms
- Reaction to the first dose
- History of allergy/drug reactions
- The usual adult dose is 50-100 mg orally every 4 to 6 hours as needed for pain.
- The maximum dose is 400 mg/day.
- Consult your doctor before administering in children below 12 years of age.
- Never use more than the recommended dose or for longer periods of time without doctor’s consent.
Also Read: Pravastatins Dosage | Prilosec Dosage | Remicade Dosage
When to avoid Ultram?
Ultram (Tramadol Hcl) should be avoided in the following situations –
- Allergy-Ultram is not recommended if you have a known allergy to Ultram.
- Ultram should not be used in patients who are suicidal or addiction-prone.
- Ultram should be cautiously used in patients at risk for respiratory depression or suffering from asthma, sleep apnea.
- Patients suffering from increased intracranial pressure or head injury.
- Patients suffering from mental/mood disorders such as confusion, depression.
- Patients with a habit or a history of substance abuse.
- Patients with difficulty in urination or an enlarged prostate.
- Obese patients.
- Patients suffering from diseases of pancreas and gallbladder disease.
- Patients suffering from severe liver and kidney disease.
- Ultram may complicate the clinical assessment of patients with acute abdominal conditions.
Side effects of Ultram (Tramadol Hcl)
All medicines have some side effects. Side effects are possible but do not always occur. Consult your doctor if you feel that you have any of the following reported side effects of Ultram-
- Loss of appetite, tiredness
- Weight loss
- Abdominal pain
- Heart burn
- Dry mouth
- Skin rash
- Dry skin
- Dizziness, fainting
- Mood changes such as agitation
- Difficulty in urination
- Rarely, serotonin syndrome can also occur especially if you are also taking other drugs that increase serotonin.
Effect on organs?
Dose adjustment is needed in patients suffering from pre-existing liver or kidney disease.
Drug interactions to be careful about
Drug interaction refers to the effect of drugs on each other and on the human body after ingestion. Large numbers of medicines have shown to interact with each other. It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about all the drugs/over the counter products/vitamin supplements used. You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. Do not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval. All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Few common drugs which interact with Ultram include-
- Certain pain killers such as pentazocine, naltrexone
- Other opiod painkillers or cough medicines
- MAO inhibitors such as isocarboxazid, linezolid
- Street drugs that increase serotonin such as “ecstasy”, St John’s Wart, marijuana
- Antidepressants such as fluoxetine
- Azole antifungal drugs
- HIV drugs
- Macrolide antibiotics such as erythromycin
- Anti-seizure drugs such as Carbamazepine
- Drugs for sleep
- Anti-anxiety drugs
- Muscle relaxants
- Anti-allergy drugs such as Cetirizine
Is Ultram (Tramadol Hcl) addictive?
Yes. Always consult your physician before using Ultram.
Can I have Ultram with alcohol?
Daily use of alcohol while using Ultram may increase your risk of side effects.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
No interaction with any food product observed.
Can I have Ultram (Tramadol Hcl) when pregnant?
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or if you plan to become pregnant.
- Ultram should not be used in pregnant women unless the potential benefits outweigh the risks. Safe use in pregnancy has not been established.
Can I have Ultram when feeding a baby?
Ultram should not be used in nursing mothers.
Can I drive after taking Ultram?
- Ultram (Tramadol Hcl) can causes side effects like dizziness, headache, drowsiness, and light-headedness in few patients.
- In such patients, driving should be avoided.
What happens if I overdose on Ultram (Tramadol Hcl)?
Taking more than prescribed dosage can be harmful and can increase the incidence of side effects. Symptoms of overdosage on Ultram include:
- Stomach discomfort
- In the case of over-dosage, consult your doctor immediately.
What happens if I eat expired Ultram?
- Avoid taking expired medicine. If you have taken accidentally and you are feeling any discomfort rush to the doctor immediately for medical assistance.
- An expired drug might not be as potent in treating your condition. It is advisable to refrain from using an expired drug.
Storage requirements for Ultram (Tramadol Hcl)
- Store Ultram at room temperature away from light and moisture.
- Do not freeze.
Pro Tips When Taking Ultram
To prevent constipation, eat a diet adequate in fiber, drink plenty of water, and exercise.
Also read about other medicine's: Singulair | Suboxone | Synthyroid