Skip to Content
- What is Unienzyme?
- Uses of Unienzyme
- How does Unienzyme work?
- How to take Unienzyme?
- Common Dosage for Unienzyme
- When to Avoid Unienzyme?
- Precautions While Taking Unienzyme
- Side-Effects of Unienzyme
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- 1. Food Interactions with Unienzyme
- 2. Medicines Interactions with Unienzyme
- 3. Effects of Unienzyme on Lab Tests
- 4. Unienzyme’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
- Q. Can I have Unienzyme with alcohol?
- Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Q. Can I have Unienzyme when pregnant?
- Q. Can I have Unienzyme when feeding a baby?
- Q. Can I drive after taking Unienzyme?
- Buyer’s Guide – Unienzyme Composition, Variant and Price
- Substitutes of Unienzyme
- FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Unienzyme
- Q. What is Unienzyme?
- Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Unienzyme to show results?
- Q. Should Unienzyme be taken on an empty stomach?
- Q. Does Unienzyme make you drowsy?
- Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Unienzyme doses?
- Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
- Q. Does Unienzyme effect my menstrual cycle?
- Q. Is Unienzyme safe for children?
- Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Unienzyme?
- Q. Is Unienzyme legal in India?
- Authored By –
What is Unienzyme?
Used mainly to treat stomach discomfort and indigestion. Black stools and abdominal pain are the major side effects seen by this drug. It should be totally avoided in case of bleeding disorders.
Unienzyme Composition: Activated Charcoal 75mg + Fungal Diastase 100mg + Papain 60mg
Manufactured By: Unichem Ltd.
Prescription: Not required as it is available as Over the Counter (OTC) drug.
Form: Tablets, capsules and syrup.
Price: Rs 45 for 15 tablets.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Antacid
Uses of Unienzyme
Unienzyme serves a great purpose in the treatment of the following conditions:
- Flatulence: Used to treat intestinal gas, also known as Flatulence.
- Heartburn: Used to treat heartburn caused by acidity.
- Throat swelling: Used to treat swelling in throat or sore throat
- Cholesterol levels: Used to lower cholesterol levels.
- Stomach gas: Used to cure gas in the stomach.
How does Unienzyme work?
- Unienzyme contains Activated charcoal, Fungal diastase and Papain
- Fungal diastase derived from Aspergillus, works by breaking down the carbohydrate and preventing food malabsorption.
- Papain works by breaking down protein and aiding digestion.
- Activated Charcoal works by binding to unwanted toxic substances and eliminating them out of the body.
- Unienzyme tablet helps in neutralizing stomach acid secretion as well.
How to take Unienzyme?
- Unienzyme is usually available in tablet form.
- Unienzyme tablet is usually taken by mouth with a glass of water, with or without food.
- The tablet should not be crushed or chewed; it should be swallowed as a whole.
- Complete dose as prescribed by the doctor should be taken.
Common Dosage for Unienzyme
- Unienzyme dosage can be decided by the doctor for every individual as per Age, Weight, Mental status, Allergic history and Health status of the patient.
- The common Adult dose is a single 50-100mg tablet 1-2 times a day.
- It is safer to consult the paediatrician if administering it in children
- Prolonged use or dose alteration should be avoided unless stated otherwise by the doctor.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Unienzyme?
An overdose of Unienzyme can cause symptoms like nausea, confusion and drowsiness and the Medical Staff or the doctor should be consulted immediately in case of Unienzyme overdose.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Unienzyme?
The dose prescribed by the doctor should never be missed and if missed, it should be consumed always as soon as you remember it. But, avoid taking a double dose if it’s already time for the second dose after that as it may lead to an overdose of the drug and other undesirable effects.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Unienzyme?
The expired dose of Unienzyme does not cause any undesired effect however, the physician should be consulted in case of any symptoms. An expired drug is not potent enough and one should avoid consuming the expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Unienzyme and till when does the effect of Unienzyme stays?
- Effects/result of Unienzyme can be seen within 1-2 days with improved digestion.
- Complete prescribed dose of the drug should be taken before stopping the treatment.
Also Read: Norfloxacin Dosage
When to Avoid Unienzyme?
Do not Consume Unienzyme if:
- Bleeding disorders: In cases of bleeding disorders.
- Allergy: In cases of a known history of allergy/hypersensitivity to any of its component
- Pre operative cases: In cases of planned surgery
- Pregnancy: In cases of pregnancy or plan of conceiving.
Precautions While Taking Unienzyme
- Caution: The drug should not be administered in patients with pregnancy without caution.
- Dose alteration: consuming a high dose without medical consultation should be avoided.
Warnings When Taking Unienzyme
- Avoid dose alteration without medical consultation.
- In cases of stomach bleeding, consult the doctor before consuming Unienzyme tablet.
- The tablet should be preferably taken at night.
Side-Effects of Unienzyme
The side effects associated with Unienzyme are:
- Pain while urinating (less common)
- Black stools (less common)
- Abdominal pain (common)
- Constipation (common)
- Diarrhoea (common)
- Nausea (common)
- Gastric problems (less common)
- Mild skin irritation (less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Unienzyme?
In case of any signs like skin irritation or gastric upset, medical help should be taken.
What are the effects of Unienzyme on organs?
Unienzyme does not affect the liver and renal functions but caution should be taken in such cases.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of a certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Unienzyme. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Unienzyme. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Unienzyme
No particular food item is to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Unienzyme
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Acarbose (mild)
- Digoxin (mild)
- Miglitol (mild)
- SilvaSorb (moderate)
- Silver sulfadiazine topical (mild)
- Theophylline (mild)
- Thimerosal topical (mild)
- Antidepressants (mild)
3. Effects of Unienzyme on Lab Tests
Unienzyme does not affect any lab tests as such.
4. Unienzyme’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any bleeding disorders.
Q. Can I have Unienzyme with alcohol?
No, as the interaction of alcohol with Unienzyme can cause drowsiness
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No particular food item needs to be avoided.
Q. Can I have Unienzyme when pregnant?
No, extra caution should be used while taking this drug during pregnancy and the doctor should always be informed in case of pregnancy or plans of conceiving for case specific recommendations as it contains papain which is derived from papaya and can cause side effects like diarrhoea, muscle cramps etc.
Q. Can I have Unienzyme when feeding a baby?
The doctor should always be informed as a precautionary measure before administering this drug in nursing mothers.
Q. Can I drive after taking Unienzyme?
It is usually safe to drive after taking this drug but one should avoid driving or operating heavy machinery
Also Read: Ttinjection Side Effect | Udiliv Side Effect | Ultracet Side Effect
Buyer’s Guide – Unienzyme Composition, Variant and Price
|Unienzyme Variants||Unienzyme Composition||Unienzyme Price|
|Unienzyme Syrup||Fungal Diastase 50mg + Pepsin 10mg/5ml||Rs. 87.59 for 1 pack|
|Unienzyme Pro Capsule||Charcoal 75mcg + Clostridium butyricum 2million cells + Fructooligosaccharides (FOS) 100mg + Lactobacillus sporogenes 50 million cells + Saccharomyces boulardii 50 million cells + streptococcu thermophilus 30million cells + Yeast extract 25mcg||Rs. 119.8 for 10 capsules|
Buy Here: Netmeds | Medlife Coupons | Practo | 1mg | Pharmeasy
Substitutes of Unienzyme
The following are alternative drugs for Unienzyme:
- Merizyme tablet:
- Manufactured – by Mercury.
- Price – Rs. 37
Storage requirements for Unienzyme
- Store the drug protected from light, moisture and direct heat at a temperature below 30OC
- Keep at a place where it is out of reach of children.
Also Read: Nise Price | Novamox Price
FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Unienzyme
Q. What is Unienzyme?
Ans. Unienzyme is a multiple component drug that contains Activated charcoal, fungal diastase and papain as its main active ingredient. Unienzyme is an antacid that helps improve the stomach discomfort and digestion.
Q. How effective it is/ How long does it take for Unienzyme to show results?
Ans. Effects/result of Unienzyme can be seen within 1-2 days with improved digestion.
Q. Should Unienzyme be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Unienzyme can be taken empty stomach.
Q. Does Unienzyme make you drowsy?
Ans. Yes, Unienzyme may cause drowsiness in a few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Unienzyme doses?
Ans. Ideal time gap of 4-6 hours should be there between two doses to avoid Unienzyme toxicity or overdose.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Unienzyme should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken.
And the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Unienzyme.
Q. Does Unienzyme effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. Yes, it can cause an irregular menstrual cycle. Therefore, one should always consult the doctor in case of pre existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Unienzyme safe for children?
Ans. Unienzyme should not be administered in children without proper consultation and recommendation by the Paediatrician.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Unienzyme?
Ans. Any liver disorder, bleeding disorders and allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Unienzyme.
Q. Is Unienzyme legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.