Table of Contents
What is Unwanted 72?
It is a medicine which used mainly as means of contraception (Birth Control) in females. Mood swings and Breast tenderness are the commonly seen side effects. It should be totally avoided in case of breast cancer, blood clotting disorder and abnormal vaginal bleeding.
- Unwanted 72 Composition: Levonorgestrel 1.5mg
- Manufactured By: Mankind Pharma Ltd.
- Prescription: Required as it comes under schedule ‘H’.
- Form: Tablets.
- Price: Rs 90 for 1 tablet.
- Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
- Type of Drug: Contraceptive
Uses of Unwanted 72
Unwanted 72 serves a great purpose in the treatment of following conditions:
- Emergency Contraception: Used for emergency contraception.
- Long-term Contraception: Used for long-term contraception.
How does Unwanted 72 work?
- Unwanted 72 contains Levonorgestrel as its main active ingredient.
- It works by blocking female hormone responsible for release of egg from the ovary and its maturation.
- It does not prevent pregnancy, if egg implantation has taken place already.
How to take Unwanted 72?
- Unwanted 72 is usually available in tablet form for use in adults only.
- Unwanted 72 tablet is usually taken by mouth with a glass of water.
- Take a single tablet of Unwanted 72 within 72 hours of unprotected intercourse.
- Unwanted 72 tablets should be swallowed as a whole instead of crushing or chewing it.
- Complete dose as prescribed by the doctor should be taken.
- It is advisable to go through the drug leaflet available in the packet insert.
Common Dosage for Unwanted
- Unwanted 72 dosage can be decided by the doctor for every individual as per: Age, Weight, Mental status, Allergic history and Health status of the patient.
- Common Adult dose is single tablet once in 6 months.
- Prolonged use or dose alteration should be avoided unless stated otherwise by the doctor.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Unwanted 72?
Overdose of Unwanted 72 can cause symptoms like breast enlargement and other undesired effects so the dose of the drug should be taken carefully as prescribed by the doctor and Consult the Medical Staff or the doctor immediately in case of Unwanted 72 overdose.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Unwanted 72?
Dose prescribed by the doctor should never be missed and if missed, it should be consumed always as soon as you remember it. But, avoid taking a double dose if it’s already time for the second dose after that as it may lead to overdose of the drug.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Unwanted 72?
Expired dose of Unwanted 72 is very unlikely to cause any undesired effect however, the physician should be consulted in case of any sickness or symptoms after consuming an expired medicine. An expired drug is not potent enough to treat the condition and one should avoid consuming expired drug.
Q. What is the onset time of Unwanted 72?
- Effects/result depends on the condition being treated.
- Complete prescribed dose of the drug should be taken before stopping the treatment.
- The time taken by the drug to show its effect may vary with every individual.
When to Avoid Unwanted 72?
Do not Consume Unwanted 72 if:
- Allergy: In cases of known history of allergy to its constituents.
- Vaginal bleeding: In cases of undiagnosed vaginal bleeding
- Cancer: In cases of Breast cancer.
- Blood disorders: In cases of blood clotting disorders.
- History of stroke: In cases of history of stroke recently.
Precautions While Taking Unwanted 72
- Caution: The drug should not be used for more than once in 6 months.
- Caution: This drug should not be used in teenagers.
- Elderly patient: It should not be used in females of more than 45 years of age.
- Dose alteration: Dose alteration without medical consultation should be avoided.
Warnings When Taking Unwanted 72
- Do not use this drug if pregnancy has been established already.
- Unwanted 72 should be taken only when primary mode of contraception fails.
- It should be used only as emergency contraception and not as a regular means of contraception.
Side-Effects of Unwanted 72
The side effects associated with Unwanted 72 are:
- Fatigue (less common)
- Hair loss(less common)
- Weight gain (common)
- Vaginal discharge (less common)
- Mood swings (less common)
- Headache (common)
- Nausea (common)
- Breast tenderness (common)
- Abdominal pain (common)
- Alteration in periods (less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Unwanted 72?
- In case of any allergic signs like hair loss, skin allergies, infection of ear, nose and throat and acne, immediate medical help should be taken.
What are the effects of Unwanted 72 on organs?
- Unwanted 72 can affect hepatic and renal functions therefore, extra caution or dose modification is required in cases of hepatic or renal impairment.
- In case of any allergic reaction or overdose, immediate medical help should be taken.
Drug Interactions With Unwanted 72 to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of certain drug to drug or drug to food interactions when consuming Unwanted 72. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Unwanted 72. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Unwanted 72
No particular food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Unwanted 72
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Cyclosporine (moderate): decreases the efficacy of Unwanted 72.
- Bosentan (mild)
- Barbiturates (moderate)
- Carbamazepine (mild)
- Griseofulvin (mild)
- Felbamate (moderate)
- Oxcarbazepine (moderate)
3. Effects of Unwanted 72 on Lab Tests
Unwanted 72 does not affect any lab test as such.
4. Unwanted 72’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any clotting disorder or breast cancer.
Q. Can I have Unwanted 72 with alcohol?
No, Unwanted 72 is to be avoided with alcohol. Always consult the doctor before consuming alcohol with drug.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No particular food item is to be avoided.
Q. Can I have Unwanted 72 when pregnant or can i get pregnant after consuming Unwanted 72?
No, it is not safe to consume the drug during pregnancy. The doctor should always be informed in case of pregnancy or plans of conceiving.
Chances of conceiving decreases if the drug is consumed within limit of 72 hours of unprotected intercourse.
Q. Can I have Unwanted 72 when feeding a baby?
Unwanted 72 is not known to have any ill effects on the baby, but the doctor should always be informed if you are breastfeeding your child as a precautionary measure.
Q. Can I drive after taking Unwanted 72?
Yes, as it does not the ability to drive but one should avoid driving if any dizziness or drowsiness occurs.
Buyer’s Guide – Unwanted 72 Composition, Variant and Price
|Unwanted 72 Variants||Unwanted 72 Composition||Unwanted 72 Price (Rs.)|
|Unwanted 72 Tablet||Levonorgestrel 1.5mg||Rs. 84 for 1 strip|
Substitutes of Unwanted 72
The following are alternative drugs for Unwanted 72:
- Mirena Device: Manufactured by Zydus Healthcare Ltd
- Eloira Device: Manufactured by Pregna International LRD.
Storage requirements for Unwanted 72 Tablets
- Store the drug protected from light, moisture and direct heat.
- Keep at a place where it is out of reach of children
Also Read: Voveran Side Effect
FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Unwanted 72
Q. What is Unwanted 72?
Ans. Unwanted 72 is a synthetically derived drug which belongs to the Progestogens class of drugs and is used as means of contraception (Birth Control).
Q. How long does it take for Unwanted 72 to show results?
Ans. Effects/result depends on the condition being treated.
Q. Should Unwanted 72 be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Unwanted 72 should not be taken empty stomach to prevent any potential stomach irritation.
Q. Does Unwanted 72 make you drowsy?
Ans. Yes, Unwanted 72 may cause drowsiness in few cases but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Unwanted 72 doses?
Ans. Unwanted 72 should not be consumed more than a single tablet in 6 months.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Unwanted 72 should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken.
And the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Unwanted 72.
Q. Does Unwanted 72 effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. Yes, it does affect the menstrual cycles. Therefore, one should always consult the doctor in case of pre existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Unwanted 72 safe for children?
Ans. No, Unwanted 72 is not to be administered in children or in teenagers.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Unwanted 72?
Ans. Any clotting disorder, allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Unwanted 72.
Q. Is Unwanted 72 legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Similar Reads –
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.