Table of Contents
If you have unruly, dull, damaged, unmanageable hair, do not fret. It is possible to restore your hair’s natural shine and that too in no time. Read on for some amazing shiny hair tips to achieve the hair of your dreams.
Your hair can lose its natural shine for many reasons. Some of these include:
- Sun damage due to UV rays
- Chemical treatments like rebounding
- Too much heat styling
- Not using the products for your hair type
- Dehydration and dryness of hair
Now that you know what’s causing the lack of sheen, it’s time to learn how to bring that shine back right at home. Here are some home remedies that you can use for shiny hair.
Hair Oils For Shiny Hair
There’s nothing like nourishing hair oil to restore the lost shine. Some great hair oils to curb dullness include:
- Coconut oil: The oil contains Vitamin E and fatty acids and nourishes hair deeply. Coconut oil can be massaged directly into the scalp or can be used as a hair rinse mixed with your conditioner.
- Castor Oil: This oil seals in the moisture in your hair to make it look hydrated and shin. It also promotes thick hair growth. The best way to use castor oil is to mix it with coconut oil as it is thick on its own. Once mixed, it can be heated and used in a hot oil massage for best results.
- Fish Oil: The omega 3s in fish oil make hair healthy and shiny. Fish oil is available in capsules which can be crushed and mixed into any other hair oil for a nourishing massage.
- Rosemary Oil: The antioxidant properties of rosemary oil can remove dandruff, itchiness, scalp, and irritation while retaining moisture. It makes hair shiny, soft and smooth. You can use the oil as a leave-in conditioner post shampooing.
- Jojoba Oil: The oil contains Omega 6 and 9 fatty acids which make hair shiny and thick. It does not weigh down hair just coats it to keep it hydrated throughout the day. As it is not an oily oil, you can simply use it as a post was leave-in conditioner.
- Tea Tree Oil: The oil is a well-known hair elixir which makes hair shiny, healthy and soft. It also contains anti-oxidant and anti-microbial properties which keep the scalp healthy. The oil can be added to coconut oil and used for a hot oil massage.
Glycerin For Shiny Hair
Glycerin helps to lock in moisture in your hair. This makes hair shine naturally and becomes smooth as well. Glycerin can be applied to hair in the form of a hair spritz. All you need to do is store some in a spray bottle and use it whenever hair seems dull.
Apple Cider Vinegar For Shiny Hair
Apple Cider Vinegar is a popular hair tonic used for dandruff, dryness and more. Simply rinsing with ACV can make your hair look shinier and healthier. ACV contains acetic acid which removes product build-up and gives you clean, shiny hair. Just add 2 tablespoons of ACV in a cup of water and rinse your hair after shampooing for best results.
Milk For Shiny Hair
Milk, which is rich in protein, can be an amazing shiny hair potion by itself. Massage milk into your roots and coat your hair to make a nourishing hair mask. This mask should be kept for 30 minutes before rinsing off. This will make hair soft, shiny and strong.
Mayonnaise For Shiny Hair
Though not very easy on the nose, mayonnaise is amazing for hair as a pack. It contains eggs, vinegar and oils which are great for hair. Coat your hair in mayonnaise and keep it on for 30 minutes. Shampoo it out and you will end up with smooth, silky and shiny hair.
Diet For Shiny Hair
Your hair requires you to eat healthy as much as any other part of your body. Adding nutrients like protein, calcium, magnesium, and zinc make hair naturally shiny and strong. Incorporate green leafy vegetables, lean fish, nuts and fruits in your diet to see a difference in your hair.
Do’s & Don’ts For Shiny Hair
Do’s – Tips & Tricks
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water each day to keep hair hydrated
- Tie your hair before bed to avoid knots and breakage
- Go for deep conditioning each month or twice monthly
- Use a wide-toothed comb to detangle your hair
- Oil hair twice a week to moisturize
Don’ts – Mistakes To Avoid
- Do not take too much stress as it causes less blood to flow to the scalp. This makes hair dry and brittle
- Do not comb or brush your hair while it is damp. This causes breakage as hair is weak when wet.
- Do not blowdry excessively. Air dry maximum times and blowdry when required.
- Do not indulge in junk food as too much salt and sugar can make hair dry, brittle and prone to breakage.
- Avoid chemical treatments as they make hair weaker
By keeping all these points in mind, you can ensure that your hair looks shiny, lively, bouncy and voluminous.