Table of Contents
- What is Vancomycin?
- Uses of Vancomycin
- How Does Vancomycin Work?
- How to Take Vancomycin?
- Vancomycin Price in India
- Common Dosage for Vancomycin
- Precautions – When to Avoid Vancomycin?
- Side-Effects of Vancomycin
- Effects of Vancomycin on Organs
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Effects/Results after Consuming Vancomycin
- Storage Requirements about Vancomycin
- Pro Tips When Taking Vancomycin
- FAQs – Things to Know About Vancomycin
- Is Vancomycin addictive?
- Can I have Vancomycin with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Vancomycin when pregnant?
- Can I have Vancomycin when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Vancomycin?
- What happens if I overdose on Vancomycin?
- What happens if I eat expired Vancomycin?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Vancomycin?
- When Was Vancomycin Made?
What is Vancomycin?
Vancomycin is an antibiotic drug which is primarily used to treat bacterial infections. It can be taken by mouth or in injection form where the former type is poorly absorbed than the latter. Vancomycin is used to treat conditions caused by Staphylococcus aureus.
Manufactured By – AstraZeneca
Buy & Get Minimum 30% Discount: Medlife Order Online | Coupons For Netmeds
Uses of Vancomycin
- Vancomycin is used to treat skin and bloodstream infections.
- It is used to cure endocarditis, bone and joint infections along with meningitis.
- Vancomycin is also used to treat infections caused by gram-positive bacteria.
How Does Vancomycin Work?
As Vancomycin is a glycopeptide antibiotic, it blocks the multiplication of bacterial cell growth by preventing the bacteria to form cell wall which is a need for their survival.
How to Take Vancomycin?
- Vancomycin can be taken orally or in injected form
- Swallow the tablet wholly. Do not crush, chew or break it.
- Take the injected form in every one or two hours.
Vancomycin Price in India
|Vancomycin (Volume of 10)||Rs 115.00|
Other medicine's Price: Potassium Chloride Price | Pradaxa Price | Prozac Price
Common Dosage for Vancomycin
The dosage is different for different conditions. It may vary as per the weight, blood level, etc., so it is safe to consult the doctor before taking the dosage.
- Staphylococcus infection – 0.5 to 2 g per day
- Clostridium (diarrhoea) – 125mg per day for 10 days
- Endocarditis – 500mg IV for every 6 hours and 1g IV for every 12 hours.
Also Read: Ramipril Dosage | Risperidone Dosage | Spironolactone Dosage
Precautions – When to Avoid Vancomycin?
While taking Vancomycin you should follow the following steps:
- Don’t delay or miss a scheduled meal or snack
- Don’t take Vancomycin along with other certain medications.
- Avoid consuming alcohol for initial days while taking Vancomycin.
Side-Effects of Vancomycin
Some common side effects of Vancomycin are:
- Anaphylactoid allergic reactions
- Digestion problems
- Flushing in the upper body
- a headache
- Tiredness or weakness
Effects of Vancomycin on Organs
It may cause permanent hear loss. It also causes nephrotoxicity as it is excreted by glomerular filtration in the kidneys.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
Drugs which cause serious effects while interacting with Vancomycin are:
- Polymyxin B,
- Tobramycin, etc.,
Effects/Results after Consuming Vancomycin
Vancomycin will show its effect within 4 to 6 hours and will take up to 33 hours to get out of your system.
Storage Requirements about Vancomycin
Vancomycin can be stored in a closed container at room temperature away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Pro Tips When Taking Vancomycin
- Vancomycin should be taken as per the prescribed dosage and one must only increase the dosage when the physician prescribes it.
- Do not abruptly stop taking Vancomycin as it may cause negative effects on the body.
- Avoid alcohol and certain recommended foods while taking Vancomycin.
FAQs – Things to Know About Vancomycin
Is Vancomycin addictive?
No. Vancomycin is not addictive.
Can I have Vancomycin with alcohol?
No. Having Vancomycin with alcohol may cause some serious side effects.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Avoid food items such as vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage.
Can I have Vancomycin when pregnant?
Yes, it is safe to take Vancomycin during pregnancy as it destroys the bacterial infections in the bowel.
Can I have Vancomycin when feeding a baby?
Taking Vancomycin while breastfeeding doesn’t cause any adverse effects in infants as it is absorbed in a very low amount.
Can I drive after taking Vancomycin?
You should avoid driving if you feel drowsy.
What happens if I overdose on Vancomycin?
It would cause hypo or hypertension and pain in the chest or back.
What happens if I eat expired Vancomycin?
It will not be effective but take advice from your doctor immediately.
What happens if I miss a dose of Vancomycin?
If you miss a dose of Vancomycin take it as soon as you remember it within the next 12 hours. If you don’t, then just go back to your regular dosage.
When Was Vancomycin Made?
Vancomycin was made in the year 1950s by Eli Lily.
Also Read: Tamsulosin | Trazodone