Table of Contents
- What is Venlafaxine?
- Uses of Venlafaxine
- How Does Venlafaxine Work?
- How to Take Venlafaxine?
- Venlafaxine Price in India
- Common Dosage for Venlafaxine
- Precautions – When to Avoid Venlafaxine?
- Side-Effects of Venlafaxine
- Effects of Venlafaxine on Organs
- Drug Interactions to be Careful About
- Effects/Results after Consuming Venlafaxine
- Storage Requirements about Venlafaxine
- Pro Tips When Taking Venlafaxine
- FAQs – Things to Know About Venlafaxine
- Is Venlafaxine addictive?
- Can I have Venlafaxine with alcohol?
- Any particular food item to be avoided?
- Can I have Venlafaxine when pregnant?
- Can I have Venlafaxine when feeding a baby?
- Can I drive after taking Venlafaxine?
- What happens if I overdose on Venlafaxine?
- What happens if I eat expired VENLAFAXINE?
- What happens if I miss a dose of Venlafaxine?
- When Was Venlafaxine Made?
What is Venlafaxine?
Venlafaxine is the trade name for Effexor. It is an anti-depressant and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) drug. Venlafaxine is used as a common medication for disorders such as depressive disorder and obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD).
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Myra Promo Code | Coupons For Netmeds
Uses of Venlafaxine
- Venlafaxine is used to treat the obsessive disorder, panic disorder, premenstrual disorder, and vasomotor symptoms.
- It is used in anxiety disorders of social and generalized anxiety.
- Venlafaxine is also used to treat certain effects of menopause such as hot flashes and night sweats.
- It is used in the treatment of diabetic nephropathy and migraine.
Also Read: Xyzal Uses | Zolpidem Uses | Zyrtec Uses
How Does Venlafaxine Work?
Serotonin is a neurotransmitter which is released by the nerves of the brain and its imbalance may cause depression. Venlafaxine works by blocking the reuptake of this neurotransmitter when it was released by the nerve cells.
How to Take Venlafaxine?
- Swallow the tablet wholly. Do not crush, chew or break it.
- Venlafaxine can be taken with or without food.
- Take Venlafaxine during bedtime as it causes sleepiness.
Venlafaxine Price in India
|Venlafaxine (20mg)||Rs 32.00|
Also Read: Warfarin Price
Common Dosage for Venlafaxine
- The dosage is different for different conditions. So it is safe to consult the doctor before taking the dosage.
- For depression, the dose is 25mg 3 times a day.
- For anxiety, the initial dose is about 75mg once a day and the maximum dose is 225mg per day.
- For panic disorder, the dose is about 37.5 mg per day.
Precautions – When to Avoid Venlafaxine?
While taking Venlafaxine you should follow the following steps:
- Don’t delay or miss a scheduled meal or snack
- Don’t take Venlafaxine along with other certain medications.
- Avoid consuming alcohol for initial days while taking Venlafaxine.
- Avoid Venlafaxine, if you have a sore throat, fever and chills, soreness in the mouth or back pain, etc.
Side-Effects of Venlafaxine
Some common side effects of Venlafaxine are:
- Dry mouth
- Weight gain
- Increased appetite
- Weird dreams
- Stiffness in muscles
- Blurred vision
- Aggressive behaviour
Also Read: Viagra Side Effect | Vicodin Side Effect
Effects of Venlafaxine on Organs
Patients who have liver problems will have more damaging effects on the liver when consuming Venlafaxine. Sometimes, it may cause hepatic damage.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
Drugs which cause serious effects while interacting with Venlafaxine are Adderall, procarbazine, rasagiline, selegiline, etc. Other drugs which can adverse effects are clonidine, ivacaftor, cyclobenzaprine, methylene blue, sodium oxybate, tedizolid, etc.
Effects/Results after Consuming Venlafaxine
Venlafaxine will show its effect within 1 to 2 weeks for mood or mental stress but you should follow this medication for 6 to 8 weeks for depression.
Storage Requirements about Venlafaxine
Venlafaxine can be stored in a closed container at room temperature away from heat, moisture and direct light.
Pro Tips When Taking Venlafaxine
- Venlafaxine should be taken in as per the prescribed dosage and one must only increase the dosage when the physician prescribes it.
- Do not abruptly stop taking Venlafaxine as it may cause negative effects on the body.
- Avoid alcohol and certain recommended foods while taking Venlafaxine.
FAQs – Things to Know About Venlafaxine
Is Venlafaxine addictive?
Can I have Venlafaxine with alcohol?
No. Having Venlafaxine with alcohol will cause dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty in concentration.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
Avoid food items which are recommended by your doctor.
Can I have Venlafaxine when pregnant?
No. Venlafaxine is not recommended during pregnancy as it causes defects in the heart of the foetus. Although you can consult your doctor.
Can I have Venlafaxine when feeding a baby?
Taking Venlafaxine while breastfeeding has no effect on infants.
Can I drive after taking Venlafaxine?
You should avoid driving if you feel drowsy.
What happens if I overdose on Venlafaxine?
Overdose of Venlafaxine will result in a fatal condition.
What happens if I eat expired VENLAFAXINE?
It will not be effective but take advice from your doctor immediately.
What happens if I miss a dose of Venlafaxine?
If you miss a dose of Venlafaxine take it as soon as you remember it within the next 12 hours. If you don’t, then just go back to your regular dosage.
When Was Venlafaxine Made?
Venlafaxine was made in the year 1987.