What is Ventolin?
Ventolin belongs to a group of drugs called as “bronchodilators” which are used to prevent and treat symptoms of bronchospasm (spasm of airway muscles which may lead to breathing difficulties). An active ingredient of Ventolin is Albuterol sulfate which is an adrenergic agonist. Ventolin is commonly available in inhaler form.
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Netmeds Offers | Pharmeasy Coupon Code
Uses of Ventolin
Ventolin is most commonly used in prevention and treatment of:
- Prevention and treatment of bronchospasm with reversible obstructive airway disease
- Prevention of exercise-induced bronchospsm
How does Ventolin work?
Ventolin contains Albuterol sulfate as its active ingredient. Albuterol is a bronchodilator which relaxes and widens the airways and opens breathing passages makeing it easier for breathing.
How to Take Ventolin?
- Ventolin is available in inhaler form. Follow all the instructions on the prescription label if you are a first time user.
- Shake the inhaler well before each use. Inhale this medicine as prescribed by your doctor.
- Always use Ventolin in the dose and frequency as advised. Never use more than the recommended dose or for longer periods as it can lead to severe side effects.
- Priming – Prime Ventolin if you are using it for the first time, when the inhaler has not been used for at least 2 weeks or when the inhaler has been dropped.
- To prime Ventolin inhaler, release four sprays away from face shaking well before use.
- If you are using more than 1 inhaler at the same time, wait for at least 1 minute between the use of each medication.
- Keep the inhaler clean and out of reach of children.
Ventolin Price In India
|Asthma Mouth Inhailer||Rs 100 Piece|
Also read about other medicine's Price: Remicade Price | Synthyroid Price
Common Dosage for Ventolin?
- Each spray of inhaler contains 108mcg albuterol sulfate.
- In patients with bronchospasm who are 4 years and above, 2 inhalations of ventolin every 4-6 hours. In a few patients 1 inhalation, every 4 hours suffices.
- To prevent exercise induced bronchospasm, 2 inhalations 15-20 minutes before exercise.
- Need for an added dose of Ventolin is a sign of deterioration of asthma and requires re-evaluation by a doctor.
- In case if your condition persists or worsens after taking Ventolin, discontinue the drug and inform your doctor.
Also read about other meidcine's Dosage: Ultram Dosage | Voltaren Dosage
When to Avoid Ventolin?
Ventolin Hfa Inhalation should be avoided or used with caution in:
- Patients with allergy to any of its components
- Breast feeding and pregnancy
- Patients with heart problems
- Patients with pre-existing hypokalemia (decreased blood potassium levels)
- Patients with pre-existing hyperthyroidism
- Patients with diabetes
Side effects of Ventolin Hfa Inhalation?
In addition to its intended uses, it may cause few undesirable side effects as well. List of the most commonly observed side effects include:
- Sleep problems
- Dry mouth
- Throat irritation
- Change in taste
In addition, it may cause some other allergic or unwanted effects. In such cases, seek medical attention immediately.
Also Read: Singulair Side Effect | Suboxone Side Effect
Effect on organs?
No adverse effect observed on any organ.
Reported Allergic Reactions?
Report to your doctor if you are allergic to any of its ingredients. Signs of allergic reaction include:
- Rashes/itching of the skin
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat
- Loss of consciousness
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
Ventolin can interact with other drugs, vitamin supplements, herbal products that you are taking. This can be harmful. It is always advised that you must inform the physician about all the drugs/over the counter products/vitamin supplements used before using Ventolin. All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Few important drug interactions are listed below:
- Beta blockers
- MAO inhibitors
Using these medicines along with Ventolin can influence the therapeutic effect of these medicines and also can increase the chances of side effects.
Shows Effects / Results In
Ventolin starts showing its effects almost immediately following its administration.
Is Ventolin Hfa Inhalation addictive?
Ventolin is not addictive; however, self-medication and dependence on these medicines should be avoided.
Can I have Ventolin with alcohol?
Consumption of alcohol should be limited with Ventolin therapy as it may increase the risk of adverse effects like dizziness, sedation and may act as a health hazard.
Any particular food item to be avoided?
No alteration in its action seen with any food product.
Can I have Ventolin when pregnant?
- Ventolin should only be taken during pregnancy if the benefits outweigh the potential risks as there are no evident and well-controlled studies in pregnant females.
- Consult your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant for case specific recommendations.
Can I have Ventolin when feeding a baby?
- Ventolin should not be used in breastfeeding women as the drug may pass into breast milk and lead to adverse effects in foetus.
- Consult your doctor for case specific recommendations if you are breastfeeding.
Can I drive after taking Ventolin?
Ventolin Hfa Inhalation doesn’t usually affect your ability to drive. Few patients have reported headache as an adverse effect.
What happens if I overdose on Ventolin?
- Over dosage has been reported with Ventolin. Symptoms of overdosage include headache, dizziness, palpitations, tachycardia, angina etc.
- If anyone is suspected of an over-dosage, seek medical care immediately.
What happens if I take expired Ventolin Hfa Inhalation?
- A single dose of expired Ventolin may not cause any major adverse effect. However, the potency of the medicine may well have decreased over time.
- Please inform your physician regarding the same if expired medicines have been taken chronically for a longer duration.
What happens if I miss a dose of Ventolin?
- Ventolin does not work well if you miss a dose because, for effective working of the drug, a certain amount of drug must be present in your body at all times.
- Always consume the missed dose as soon as you remember. But, if it is already time for the next dose – do not double the dose.
Storage Requirements for Ventolin
- Store at a cool and dry place away from direct heat and moisture.
- Do not freeze the medicine.
- Keep medicines away from children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Ventolin Hfa Inhalation
Patients on Ventolin may suffer from hypokalemia (decreased blood potassium levels) and changes in blood glucose levels. Monitor such patients closely.
Also read about other medicine's: Pravastatins | Prilosec