Table of Contents
- What is Vertin?
- How does Vertin work?
- How to take Vertin?
- Common Dosage for Vertin
- When to Avoid Vertin?
- Precautions While Taking Vertin
- Side-Effects of Vertin
- Drug Interactions with Vertin to be Careful About
- Buyer’s Guide, Vertin Composition, Variant and Price
- Substitutes of Vertin
- FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Vertin
- Authored By –
1What is Vertin?
It is a medicine which is used for treatment of symptoms like vertigo, tinnitus and hearing loss (Meniere’s disease). Headache, digestion problem and liver problems at repetitive high doses are the major side effects. It should be totally avoided in case of asthma, ulcer and liver diseases.
Vertin Composition: Betahistine 8mg
Manufactured By: Abbott.
Price: Rs.120.64 for 15 tablets.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Anti vertigo
Uses of Vertin
Vertin serves as an antivertigo drug. It is used for the prevention and treatment of following conditions:
- Inner ear problems: Used in cases patients suffering from inner ear problems as the drug dilates the blood vessels inside the inner ear.
- Tinnitus: Used in cases of patients having ringing sensation in the ear, clicking sound in the ear, known as tinnitus.
- Vertigo: Used to treat and manage symptoms like spinning sensation, false feeling of movement of head when it is stable (vertigo).
- Meniere’s disease: Used in cases of inner ear disorder with symptoms like ringing in ear, sensation of spinning of head and fullness in ear.
- Motion sickness: Used to manage patients having motion sickness (feeling of nausea, vomiting and sickness while travelling or movement).
2How does Vertin work?
- Vertin contains Betahistine as its main active ingredient.
- Betahistine works as antagonist to histamine H1 and H3 receptor.
- Betahistine blocks the H1 receptor located on blood vessels in inner ear leading to vasodilation and increased permeability.
- Vasodilation caused by Betahistine helps to relieve the pressure from excess fluid.
- Thus, it helps to provide relief in cases of vertigo, motion sickness and other symptoms.
Also Read: Voveran Price | Volini Price
3How to take Vertin?
- Vertin is usually available in tablet form only.
- Tablets are usually consumed orally (Via mouth) with a glass of water or as instructed by the doctor. It should be consumed with or after food instead of empty stomach to prevent any potential gastric irritation.
- The tablet should not be crushed or chewed but should be swallowed as a whole.
- It is advisable to take Vertin at a fixed time.
- It is recommended for a patient to go through the leaflet inside the package thoroughly to have a better understanding of the drug.
4Common Dosage for Vertin
- The dosage of the drug is to be decided by the doctor for every individual as per the age, weight, mental status, allergic history and health status of the patient.
- The most common dose of Vertin 8mg is one single tablet 2-3 times a day for 5-7days in cases of minor symptoms like vertigo, nausea and vomiting, but the use can be prolonged to almost a year by the doctor in cases of conditions like Meniere’s disease or chronic cases of vertigo.
- It is not advisable to administer Vertin in children unless stated by the Paediatrician.
- The dose should not be altered without medical consultation; dose should be gradually reduced as per the doctor’s advice in case of improvement in patient’s health.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Vertin?
Overdose of Vertin can increase the chances of serious side effects. The doctor should be consulted immediately in case of Vertin overdose.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Vertin?
Vertin may not exhibit the desired effects as a certain amount of drug should always be present in the systemic circulation of the body to exhibit beneficial effects.
The missed dose of Vertin should be consumed as soon as you remember it. But, it is not advisable to consume the missed dose if it’s already time to take the second dose as it may lead to drug toxicity or drug overdose.
Q. What happens if I eat expired Vertin?
A single dose of expired Vertin is very unlikely to cause an adverse event as it might have lost its efficacy and potency. However, one should abstain from consuming expired drug and the doctor should be immediately consulted if one feels any undesirable symptoms after consuming the expired drug.
Q. What is the onset time of Vertin?
- Vertin Tablets reaches its peak effect in about 40minutes to 1 hour after oral administration.
Q. Till when does the effect of Vertin stay?
- The average duration of action is 16-17 hours.
- It is advised to keep a time interval between two doses of Vertin.
5When to Avoid Vertin?
Do not Consume Vertin Tablets:
- Allergy/ Hypersensitivity: In known cases of allergy or hypersensitivity to Vertin or its ingredient.
- Adrenal Tumor: In cases of patients suffering from adrenal gland tumor (Pheochromocytoma).
- Asthma: In cases of patients suffering from asthma.
- Gastric Ulcers: In known cases of patients having gastric ulcers, Vertin should be avoided in such cases.
- Underage: In cases of patients below 18 years of age.
Also Read: Velozd Dosage | Uprised Dosage | Unwanted 72 Dosage
6Precautions While Taking Vertin
- Empty Stomach: Do not consume Vertin empty stomach especially in cases of gastric diseases as it can worsen the condition of the stomach.
- Allergic Reaction: Any allergic reaction after taking Vertin should be immediately reported to the doctor.
- Avoid Over dosage: Drug overdose should be avoided.
- Time Interval: A gap of 6-8 hours should be maintained between the two doses to avoid increased levels of drug in the blood as it can lead to toxicity.
Warnings When Taking Vertin
- Consuming more than the daily prescribed dose may lead to Gastric problems.
- Dose alteration without proper consultation should be avoided.
- Complete prescribed dose should be taken to eliminate the symptoms.
7Side-Effects of Vertin
The side effects associated with Vertin Tablets used for different treatments are:
- Increased acidity (common)
- Dyspepsia (indigestion) (common)
- Nausea (common)
- Headache (common)
- Tingling and numbness in the extremities. (less common)
- Dry mouth (less common)
- Abnormal shivering (less common)
- Arrhythmia (less common)
- Confusion (less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Vertin?
Possible allergic reactions reported for Vertin tablets are:
- Rashes (less common)
- Swelling of eyelids, face, lips, mouth or tongue (less common)
- Breathing difficulty (less common)
What are the effects of Vertin tablets on organs?
- It is advised to consult the doctor and consume Vertin only after medical consultation to protect liver and kidney from any potential damage in cases of patients already suffering from liver and kidney dysfunctions.
8Drug Interactions with Vertin to be Careful About
One needs to be careful of certain drug interactions when consuming Vertin. These may span from certain food items to other medicines to some tests which should not be taken right after consuming Vertin. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Vertin
No food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Vertin
All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advised that the patient must inform the physician about of all the drugs/products you use. You must also inform about the herbal products that you are consuming. You must not modify the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
The common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Cyproheptadine (moderate)
- Terfenadine (mild)
- Pheniramine (moderate)
- Dimethindene (mild)
- Doxylamine (moderate)
- Hydroxyzine (moderate)
- Embramine (mild)
- Olopatadine (moderate)
3. Effects of Vertin on Lab Tests
Vertin does not affect any lab tests as such.
4. Vertin ’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any gastric ulcers or adrenal gland tumor.
Q. Can I have Vertin with alcohol?
No. Interaction of alcohol with Vertin is not known. The doctor should be consulted before consuming alcohol with Vertin.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No particular food item is to be avoided.
Q. Can I have Vertin when pregnant?
No, Vertin should be avoided during pregnancy as it is not safe and can harm the developing foetus. The doctor should always be notified if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
Q. Can I have Vertin when feeding a baby?
No, as Vertin is not recommended in lactating mothers and the doctor should always be informed in such cases as a precautionary measure.
Q. Can I drive after taking Vertin?
9Buyer’s Guide, Vertin Composition, Variant and Price
|Vertin 16mg Tablet||Betahistine 16 mg||Rs. 222.23 for 15 tablets|
|Vertin 24mg Tablet||Betahistine 24 mg||Rs. 319.13 for 15 tablets|
|Vertin OD 48mg Tablet||Betahistine 48 mg||Rs. 270.19 for 7 tablets|
|Vertin OD 24mg Tablet||Betahistine 24 mg||Rs. 160.25 for 7 tablets|
Buy & Get Minimum 20% Discount: Practo | Saveonmedicals
10Substitutes of Vertin
The following are alternative drugs for Vertin:
- Histavert 8mg Tablet: Manufactured by Pulse Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd.
- Aver 8mg Tablet: Manufactured by Sigmund Promedica.
- Betavert 8mg Tablet: Manufactured by Sun Pharmaceuticals Industries Ltd.
- Beta H 8mg Tablet: Manufactured by Cian Healthcare.
Storage requirements for Vertin Tablets
- Vertin Tablet should be stored in a cool, moisture-free place at temperature below 25o C
- Drug should be kept out of children’s reach.
11FAQs – 10 Important Questions Answered about Vertin
Q. What is Vertin?
Ans. Vertin is a solo drug containing betahistine as its main ingredient.
It is used to treat conditions like chronic vertigo, tinnitus, motion sickness etc.
Q. How long does it take for Vertin to show results?
Ans. Vertin shows its affect in 30minutes to 1 hour of administration of drug.
Q. Should Vertin be taken on an empty stomach?
Ans. Vertin should not be taken empty stomach as it may cause stomach irritation.
Q. Does Vertin make you drowsy?
Ans. Vertin does not drowsiness but it varies with every individual.
Q. What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Vertin Tablets?
Ans. Ideal time gap of atleast 6-8 hours should be there between two doses to avoid Vertin toxicity or overdose.
Q. Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Ans. Vertin, when taken for heart problems due to its anticoagulant property, should never be stopped in between the cycle without consulting with the doctor.
The doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Vertin.
Q. Does Vertin effect my menstrual cycle?
Ans. Yes, it can affect the menstrual cycle as it can lead to easy and prolonged bleeding. Always consult the doctor in case of pre existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Q. Is Vertin safe for children?
Ans. Vertin in not safe and is not advised to administer to children without proper consultation. Therefore, Paediatrician should always be consulted in such cases.
Q. Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Vertin?
Ans. Any gastric irritation and allergy to drug are to be taken into consideration before taking Vertin
Q. Is Vertin legal in India?
Ans. Yes, it is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.
12Authored By –