What is Vistaril?
- Vistaril belongs to a group of drugs called as “antihistamines” and is commonly used for treatment of allergic disorders like chronic urticaria, pruritus (itching) etc.
- Vistaril can also be used for symptomatic relief of anxiety and tension for short term.
- The active ingredient of Vistaril is “Hydroxyzine” and it is available in capsule and suspension form for oral administration.
Save Using: Myra Medicines Coupon | 1mg Coupon | Practo Coupon
Uses of Vistaril
- Sedative to relieve anxiety and tension
- Allergic conditions causing pruritus (itchy skin)
Read more: Nasacort Uses
- Vistaril Oral Suspension (hydroxyzine pamoate equivalent to 25 mg hydroxyzine hydrochloride per teaspoonful-5 mL)
Know more: Revlimid Composition
How does Vistaril work?
- Vistaril is an antihistamine which works by blocking the release of chemical messenger (histamine) involved in allergic reactions in your body.
Also check out: Latuda Price
How to Take Vistaril?
- Vistaril is extensively absorbed after oral administration and food has no effect on its absorption thus it can be taken with or without foodor as advised.
- For ideal results, it should always be taken at a fixed time preferably bed time as it can cause sedation.
- The tablet should be swallowed as a whole without crushing, chewing or breaking it along with plenty of fluids.
- If you are using the suspension form, measure the dose with the help of a measuring cup. Shake the bottle well before each use.
Common Dosage for Vistaril
- The recommended therapeutic dose of Vistaril for patients suffering from anxiety in adults is 50-100mg four times a day.
- For management of pruritus with allergic conditions in adults: 25mg three to four times a day. Vistaril when used as a sedative as premedication: 50-100mg.
- Dose should be adjusted for children and administered as prescribed by the doctor.
Read more: Zometa Dosage
When to avoid Vistaril?
- Vistaril should be avoided or used with caution in:
- Patients with allergy to any of its components
- Patients with prolonged QT interval
- Pregnant and lactating females
- Patients using other anti-depressant drugs
Side-effects of Vistaril?
- In addition to its intended uses, it may cause few undesirable side effects as well. List of the most commonly observed side effects include:
- Dry mouth
- Blurring of vision
- In addition it may cause some other allergic or unwanted effects. In such cases, seek medical attention immediately.
Effect on organs?
- Vistaril may affect central nervous system and can produce a variety of effects including dizziness, sleepiness and fatigue.
Reported Allergic Reactions?
- Report to your doctor if you are allergic to any of its ingredients.
- Signs of allergic reaction include:
- Rashes/itching of skin
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat
- Loss of consciousness
Drug Interactions to Be Careful About
- Vistaril can interact with other drugs, vitamin supplements and herbal products thus it is always advised that you must inform the physician about all the drugs being administered.
- All the possible drug interactions might not be listed here. Few important drug interactions are listed below:
Shows Effects / Results In:
- Vistaril starts showing its effects within 15-30 minutes after its oral administration.
Storage of Vistaril:
- Store at cool and dry place away from direct heat and moisture.
- Keep medicines away from children and pets.
Pro Tips When Taking Vistaril:
- Vistrail is contraindicated in patients with prolonged QT interval. ECG monitoring is recommended in such cases.
- Vistrail should not be administered along with alcohol and other CNS depressants.
Frequently asked questions
Is Vistaril addictive?
Can I have Vistaril with alcohol?
- Consumption of alcohol is not recommended with Vistaril as it may increase the risk of adverse effects like drowsiness and sedation.
Can I have Vistaril when pregnant?
- Vistaril is contraindicated in pregnancy.
Can I have Vistaril when feeding a baby?
- Vistaril is excreted in human breast milk therefore it is not recommended for use while you are breast feeding.
Can I drive after taking Vistaril?
- Vistaril intake is associated with a majority of CNS side effects like drowsiness, decreased alertness etc.
- Therefore it may not be advisable to drive a vehicle and operate heavy machinery while on this medication.
What happens if I overdose on Vistaril?
- Over dosage has been reported with Vistaril. Symptoms of over dosage include: hyper sedation, nausea, convulsions etc.
- If anyone is suspected of an over-dosage, seek medical care immediately.
What happens if I take expired Vistaril?
- A single dose of expired Vistaril may not cause any major adverse effect. However, the potency of the medicine may well have decreased overtime.
What happens if I miss a dose of Vistaril?
- Take the missed dose as soon as you remember it. Do not take double the dose to make up for the skipped dose.