What is Vizylac?
Used mainly to prevent or treat conditions like diarrhea and other gastrointestinal disorders and inflammation. Skin rash, altered sleep pattern are the major side effects seen at high repetitive doses. It should be totally avoided in the case of gastrointestinal blockage and allergic cases.
Vizylac Composition: Lactobacillus Sporegens 40 million cells + thiamine + Riboflavin + Pyridoxine + Nicotinamide + Folic Acid + D-panthenol.
Manufactured By: Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Prescription: Not required as it is available as OTC
Form: Capsule, Sachet, Tablet, and Syrup
Price: Rs. 44 for 15 capsules.
Expiry/Shelf Life: 24 months from the date of manufacturing
Type of Drug: Probiotic + Multivitamin
Uses of Vizylac
Vizylac is used to prevent or treat the following conditions:
- Diarrhoea: Used to treat diarrhoea, including Traveller’s diarrhoea and diarrhoea caused due to antibiotics.
- Indigestion: Used to prevent or treat digestion problems.
- Inflammation: Used to treat and manage inflammation of colon.
- Abdominal Distension: Used to manage abdominal distension.
- Infection: Used to treat and manage intestinal infection.
- GI Inflammation: Used to treat inflammation of stomach and intestine.
How does Vizylac work?
- Vizylac Contains Lactobacillus Sporegens, Vitamin B1, B2, B3, B5, B6 and B9 as its main active ingredient.
- Vizylac is a combination of good bacterias and multiple vitamins, which is introduced in the intestine intentionally to balance the microbial flora (internal environment) of the intestine.
- Use of Antibiotics and other conditions can cause a disbalance between the good and bad bacterias and can lead to pathologies (diseases)
- Introduction of good bacteria inside the body leads to a competition between good and bad bacterias for nutrients.
- Eventually the bad bacterias die because of loss of nutrients.
- Vitamins in Vizylac provides the required nourishment to the body.
How to take Vizylac?
- Vizylac is usually available in the form of capsules, syrups, tablets, and sachets.
- Vizylac capsule is taken via mouth with a glass of water preferably with or after food as it prevents any potential gastric irritation caused by the drug when taken empty stomach.
- Vizylac Tablet should never be chewed or crushed. It should be swallowed as a whole.
- Vizylac Tablet should be taken with an equal time interval between two doses if consumed more than once a day.
- When consuming Vizylac syrup, always shake the bottle well before consuming the drug.
- It is advisable to go through the pack insert properly before consuming the drug to have a better understanding of the drug.
Common Dosage for Vizylac
- Vizylac dosage can be decided by the doctor for every individual as per Age, Weight, Mental status, Allergic history and Health status of the patient.
- The common Adult dose of Vizylac capsule is once or twice a day with an interval of at least 5-6 hours between two doses.
- The dose can be altered by the doctor depending on the condition or response by the patient.
- Paediatrician should be consulted when administering paediatric dose.
- Dose alteration should be avoided without proper medical consultation.
Q. What happens if I overdose on Vizylac?
Overdose of Vizylac can cause undesirable effects and can also lead to complications in few cases.
Therefore, strictly adhere to the prescribed dose and seek medical help immediately in case of any symptoms of overdose.
Q. What happens if I miss a dose of Vizylac?
Dose prescribed by the doctor should never be missed and if missed, it should be consumed always as soon as you remember it. But, avoid taking a double dose if it’s already time for the second dose after that as it may lead to an overdose of the drug
Q. What happens if I eat expired Vizylac?
Expired Vizylac might not exhibit effects or any undesirable effects. However, one should abstain from consuming the expired drug.
Q. Onset time of Vizylac and till when does the effect of Vizylac stays?
- The effect of Vizylac can be seen within the first few weeks of starting the Vizylac therapy.
- Although, the time taken by the drug to show its effect may vary with every individual patient.
When to Avoid Vizylac?
Do not Consume Vizylac if:
- Allergy: In cases of known allergy to Vizylac.
- GI Blockage: In cases of patients with gastrointestinal blockage.
- Cardiac Disorders: In cases of heart disorders.
- Bleeding disorders: In cases of blood clotting disorders.
- Hyperthyroidism: In cases of patients with hyperthyroidism.
- Peptic ulcer: In cases of peptic ulcer.
Precautions While Taking Vizylac
- Pregnancy: Vizylac should be used only if necessary and with caution in cases of pregnancy.
- Fever: It should be avoided in cases of high fever.
- Dose alteration: Dose alteration may be required by the physician in patients with kidney, heart or liver impairments.
- Nursing mother: It should be used with caution in such cases.
Warnings When Taking Vizylac
- Avoid Concomitant use of Antibiotics with Vizylac. (Consume Vizylac 2 hours before or after consuming antibiotic).
- Avoid administering the drug to children below 3 years of age.
- Always consume the tablet with or after meals to prevent any gastric irritation.
Side-Effects of Vizylac
The side effects associated with Vizylac are:
- Irritability (common)
- Appetite loss (common)
- Abdominal distension (less common)
- Headache (common)
- Bloating (common)
- Altered sleep pattern (common)
- Burning of skin (less common)
Are There Any Reported Allergic Reactions to Vizylac?
- Vizylac is known to cause an allergic reaction with symptoms like rashes, breathing difficulty, swelling of face, lip, and throat
- In case of any such signs, immediate medical help should be taken.
What are the effects of Vizylac on organs?
Vizylac should be used with caution in patients with liver or kidney impairment as using Vizylac in such cases may worsen the condition.
Drug Interactions to be Careful About
It is always advisable to be careful of a certain drug-to-drug or drug-to-food interactions when consuming Vizylac. Always be aware of the food items, other drugs or lab tests while consuming Vizylac. We explore these n details below.
1. Food Interactions with Vizylac
No particular food item to be avoided.
2. Medicines Interactions with Vizylac
All the potential drug interactions might not be listed here. It is always advisable that the patient must inform the physician about all the drugs/products you use. You must notify the doctor about the herbal products that you are currently consuming. You should never alter the drug regimen without your doctor’s approval.
Common drug interactions have been noticed with the following drugs:
- Antibiotics (moderate)
- Atropine (mild)
- Barbiturates (mild)
- Biotin (mild)
- Carbamazepine (moderate)
- Chloremphenicol (mild)
- Chlorthalidone (moderate)
- Chlorpromazine (mild)
- Ciprofloxacin (mild)
3. Effects of Vizylac on Lab Tests
Vizylac does not affect any lab tests as such.
4. Vizylac’s interactions with Pre-existing Conditions/Diseases
Any gastrointestinal blockage and high fever.
Q. Can I have Vizylac with alcohol?
No, alcohol consumption with Vizylac should be avoided. The doctor should always be consulted before taking alcohol with Vizylac.
Q. Any particular food item to be avoided?
No particular food item is to be avoided.
Q. Can I have Vizylac when pregnant?
No, it should be used only when necessary during pregnancy and with caution, as it is not safe. Always inform the doctor before taking Vizylac in cases of pregnancy or if you’re planning to conceive.
Q. Can I have Vizylac when feeding a baby?
No, it is not safe to use Vizylac in lactating mothers, and one should use it only when necessary and should be used with caution the doctor should always be informed
Q. Can I drive after taking Vizylac?
Yes, Vizylac does not affect your ability to drive, but one must avoid driving or operating heavy machinery if drowsiness or dizziness occurs.
Buyer’s Guide – Vizylac Composition, Variant and Price
|Vizylac Variants||Vizylac Composition||Vizylac Price|
|Vizylac Capsule||Lactobacillus 120milion spores||Rs. 43.25 for 15 capsules|
|Vizylac Rich Capsule||Bacillus mesentericus 1million spores + Clostridium Butyricum 2million spores + Lactobacillus Sporogens 50million spores + Streptococcus thermophilus 30 spores + Saccharomyces boulardii 50 million spores||Rs. 104.41 for 10 capsules|
|Vizylac Dry 60ml Syrup||Lactobacillus 120milion spores||Rs. 34.73 for 1pack|
|Vizylac DT Tablet||Lactobacillus 120milion spores + Zinc Sulphate 10mg||Rs. 38.03 for 10 Tablets|
|Vizylac Rich 1gm Sachet||Bacillus mesentericus 15million cells + Clostridium Butyricum 15million cells + Lactobacillus acidophilus 15 million cells + Streptococcus thermophilus 15million cells + Fructooligosaccharides (FOS) 100mg||Rs. 14.84 for 1 sachet|
Substitutes of Vizylac
The following are alternative drugs for Vizylac:
- Sporlac DS Tablet:
- Manufactured by – Uni Sankyo
- Price – Rs. 89.50
- Lactocip DS Tablet:
- Manufactured by – Cipla Ltd
- Price – Rs. 56
- Pre Pro Capsule:
- Manufactured by – Fourrts India Labs Pvt Ltd
- Price – Rs. 126
Storage requirements for Vizylac
- Store the Vizylac tablet at a dry, moisture-free place away from direct heat or sunlight at room temperature below 25O
- Keep it in a place away from children’s reach.
Also Read: Vibactds Price
FAQs – 10 Questions Answered about Vizylac
What is Vizylac?
Vizylac is a probiotic that contains beneficial bacteria which help to improve gastrointestinal problems.
How effective it is/ How long does it take for Vizylac to show results?
The effect of Vizylac can be seen within the first week of starting the administration of the drug.
Should Vizylac be taken on an empty stomach?
Vizylac should not be taken empty stomach to prevent any potential stomach upset.
Does Vizylac make you drowsy?
No, Vizylac generally doesn’t cause drowsiness, but it varies with every individual.
What should be the time gap between the consumption of 2 Vizylac doses?
The ideal time gap of 5-6 hours should be there between two doses.
Should I complete the whole cycle of the medicine even if cured?
Vizylac should be consumed as prescribed by the doctor, and in case of any severity of symptoms, immediate medical help or consultation should be taken.
And the doctor should be the one to decide when and how to stop the cycle of Vizylac.
Does Vizylac affect my menstrual cycle?
No, it generally doesn’t affect the menstrual cycle, but one should always consult the doctor in case of pre-existing menstrual problems before consuming the drug
Is Vizylac safe for children?
Vizylac is not safe for children below 3 years and should be administered in children only after proper consultation and recommendation by the Paediatrician.
Are there any symptoms that I should consider before taking Vizylac?
Any Gastrointestinal blockage or allergic reactions are to be taken into consideration before taking Vizylac.
Is Vizylac legal in India?
Yes, it is legal in India.
Disclaimer – The information provided above is to the best of our research and knowledge. However, you are recommended to consult a physician before consuming the drug.